Our partner

BPD and insomnia?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

BPD and insomnia?

Postby frozensun » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:33 pm

Is there a corellation between 2 of these?
I am diagnosed with BPD but I'm sick with damn insomnia for like a year and nothing helps except strong dose of a.p.
frozensun
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: BPD and insomnia?

Postby Lebkuchen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm

I don't know if there is a correlation between the two. Neither am I diagnosed with insomnia, but I might have it. I often have trouble falling asleep, staying awake at least half an hour just laying in bed everyday even when I'm tired and when I'm not tired it's even worse going up to 2 hours on bad days.
People are horrible people.
Lebkuchen
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby frozensun » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Oh,then I'm not the only one.You take any meds for insomnia?
frozensun
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Paladin_in_Exile » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:53 pm

frozensun wrote:Is there a corellation between 2 of these?
I am diagnosed with BPD but I'm sick with damn insomnia for like a year and nothing helps except strong dose of a.p.

I don’t know about a correlation between the two, but there are correlations between insomnia and depression/anxiety.

I’ve been struggling with poor sleep for about a decade now, but in my case I realised a few years ago that it’s that I wake with a hangover-like headache every day without having drunk a drop of alcohol. I sometimes get insomnia, but even when I don’t, the sleep virtually never feels fulfilling. According to my GP it’s a tension headache (the muscles strain and swell overnight), but so far no treatments have worked. I’ve tried countless medications, acupuncture and intramuscular stimulation and the like. The next one on the list is Botox injections into the muscles. Most of the sleep medications just make me groggy; they can suppress the insomnia, but they don't make the sleep fulfilling and I feel drugged well into the next day.
Paladin_in_Exile
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Postby Angelina88 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 am

I don't think there's a correlation.. but they can definitely co-occur. I suffer from bouts of insomnia multiple times a month.. the BPD and insomnia seem to feed off of each other, it's torturous.
Angelina88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Postby inanna31 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:23 am

Paladin_in_Exile wrote:

I don’t know about a correlation between the two, but there are correlations between insomnia and depression/anxiety.

I’ve been struggling with poor sleep for about a decade now, but in my case I realised a few years ago that it’s that I wake with a hangover-like headache every day without having drunk a drop of alcohol. I sometimes get insomnia, but even when I don’t, the sleep virtually never feels fulfilling. According to my GP it’s a tension headache (the muscles strain and swell overnight), but so far no treatments have worked. I’ve tried countless medications, acupuncture and intramuscular stimulation and the like. The next one on the list is Botox injections into the muscles. Most of the sleep medications just make me groggy; they can suppress the insomnia, but they don't make the sleep fulfilling and I feel drugged well into the next day.

I too have terrible issues getting to sleep at night and when I do sleep, with or without having crazy dreams, I always wake up super drowsy and it takes forever to wake up fully. Occasionally I get migraines from stree and tension. Had one just last week and had to call out of work Thursday and still had a headache through Saturday. I take melatonin occasionally to help, but it only does so much. Sleep never feels fulfilling at all!
inanna31
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Postby Lebkuchen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:18 am

frozensun wrote:Oh,then I'm not the only one.You take any meds for insomnia?

Like I said I'm not diagnosed with insomnia, never went to a doc because of it either, so no not taking any meds either though I thought about it.
People are horrible people.
Lebkuchen
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby frozensun » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Paladin so what a guy can do to battle with insomnia?I'm nowdays taking antipsychotics for sleep but I'm like a zombie overday which is not solution.Benzos increased my anxiety and they would drive me through even worse insomnia.
frozensun
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Paladin_in_Exile » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:40 pm

inanna31 wrote:I too have terrible issues getting to sleep at night and when I do sleep, with or without having crazy dreams, I always wake up super drowsy and it takes forever to wake up fully. Occasionally I get migraines from stree and tension. Had one just last week and had to call out of work Thursday and still had a headache through Saturday. I take melatonin occasionally to help, but it only does so much. Sleep never feels fulfilling at all!

I get the intense dreams. They’re not always nightmares, but they’re seldom settling. I usually wake in a cold sweat. From what I can tell, it’s a side effect of the meds, though they’ve become more frequently ever since I began taking Valproic Acid for BPD.

I’ve tried melatonin and various other alternative-health remedies, but none have had any effect.

The only thing that I’ve heard can interfere with sleep additionally is exposure to a computer screen within a certain amount of time before bed, though in my case abstaining from computer use for a few hours before bed hasn’t done anything, either. There’s also an app called Flux that changes your computer screen’s light so it’s supposedly won’t mess with your sleep, and I use it.

frozensun wrote:Paladin so what a guy can do to battle with insomnia?I'm nowdays taking antipsychotics for sleep but I'm like a zombie overday which is not solution.Benzos increased my anxiety and they would drive me through even worse insomnia.

Seroquil, by chance? I've been on that one. I don't know about you, but I found sometimes Seroquil failed to suppress the insomnia but I'd still be groggy as hell. So I'd just have to lie there in bed for hours.

I'm on Valproic Acid now, which has a similar effect of dropping the intensity of anger but no grogginess. It can cause hair less apparently, but you can prevent that by taking zinc. In any case, my hair is safe, at least. There's also Rispirodone (spelling?), but that one caused me to gain a bunch of weight.
Paladin_in_Exile
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post