Our partner

Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside?

Postby Noca » Mon May 02, 2016 1:33 am

Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside? I do. I usually end up doing something stupid or impulsive or risky or illegal just to try and feel alive. :| Anyone relate?
Noca
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside?

Postby Foucault_me_slowly » Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 am

I just act impulsively. I rarely/never feel dead inside.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive" - James Baldwin
Foucault_me_slowly
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 am

Postby Jasmer » Mon May 02, 2016 5:18 am

I never feel "dead" inside. I can be very impulsive, but it isn't in response to anything I can easily identify. I think a lot of my behaviors are tied to boredom.
Dx: NPD, PTSD
Jasmer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:47 am

Postby CloudShark » Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 am

I've never behaved impulsively because of feeling empty inside. It's been a case of just not considering the consequences or perhaps not caring because it seemed like a good idea/fun at the time.

However, I'm a boring old fart and don't behave impulsively these days.
"Away"
CloudShark
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NimplyDinply » Mon May 02, 2016 9:56 am

I can see that happening with some PWBPD and have seen stories here where it does. Might be tied to how strong your sense of self is. Those with stronger identities don't feel as empty most of the time.

Foucault_me_slowly wrote:I just act impulsively. I rarely/never feel dead inside.

This.
what a tangled web we unweave, when we practice to just be
NimplyDinply
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Noca » Mon May 02, 2016 5:23 pm

NimplyDinply wrote:I can see that happening with some PWBPD and have seen stories here where it does. Might be tied to how strong your sense of self is. Those with stronger identities don't feel as empty most of the time.

Foucault_me_slowly wrote:I just act impulsively. I rarely/never feel dead inside.

This.

What is PWBPD? I don't really know if I have an identity or not.
Noca
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby voracious_lemon » Mon May 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Noca wrote:Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside? I do. I usually end up doing something stupid or impulsive or risky or illegal just to try and feel alive. :| Anyone relate?

Yup. When the emptiness is at it's greatest, that's when I find myself doing 100 on the freeway with the windows down, no seatbelt. That's when I empty a bottle of vodka into my mouth. That's when I sleep with whoever's around. Just trying to fill the void.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Noca » Tue May 03, 2016 3:03 pm

voracious_lemon wrote:
Noca wrote:Do you tend to act impulsive when you're dead inside? I do. I usually end up doing something stupid or impulsive or risky or illegal just to try and feel alive. :| Anyone relate?

Yup. When the emptiness is at it's greatest, that's when I find myself doing 100 on the freeway with the windows down, no seatbelt. That's when I empty a bottle of vodka into my mouth. That's when I sleep with whoever's around. Just trying to fill the void.

Ah it's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. Do you attribute that to BPD?
Noca
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Casper » Tue May 03, 2016 3:27 pm

My impulsiveness tends to vary, just like everything else in my life. My self-destructive behaviours definitely increase when I feel that internal emptiness, but externally, I'm a roll of the dice during an empty period. Sometimes, I'll let the world walk all over me and just not care, while the next minute, I'll take someone's head off for just thinking of looking at me the wrong way.

Noca wrote:What is PWBPD? I don't really know if I have an identity or not.

People/person with BPD. And you do have an identity, even if you're not sure what it is, yet. We all do. Sometimes, that identity is just being a little fluid, that's all. As Patrick McGoohan once said, "I am not a number, I'm a free man!"...though I'm sure the local revenue agency would be willing to argue that point.
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby voracious_lemon » Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Noca wrote:
voracious_lemon wrote:

Ah it's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. Do you attribute that to BPD?

I don't actually know if I have bpd, but I do have schizoaffective disorder and at the very least borderline traits which don't go away when my sza is stable, that I attribute the impulsivity/numbness thing to.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (10)

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views