Our partner

Apparently i've got Adjustment Disorder ??

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Apparently i've got Adjustment Disorder ??

Postby Afrika2015 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:27 pm

I mean, do these professionals get a kick out of sticking random labels on people? I wasn't even told. I just found out by looking at my last discharge notification ..

http://i.picresize.com/ESa8

I didn't even know BPD was my main diagnosis. I thought it was depression. I am so confused and annoyed because I have just realised that no one has really explained in detail what my diagnosis is. :roll: :( :x
Afrika2015
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Apparently i've got Adjustment Disorder ??

Postby Casper » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Wow, was that ever NOT the way to tell you. I'm hoping it's only because they thought that you already knew, and they were just writing it down to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Well, I'll tell you right now, even if they did tell you, they wouldn't be able to explain it well. It's a really tricky disorder to understand. Heck, even though I have it, when I first read all about it, I didn't understand it (I still don't fully understand it...I don't think I do, anyway). It's one of those ones where you'll read a whole lot on it, not believe 99% of it at first, and then, as time goes by, you'll start to see how your life really does fit in with the diagnosis. You just learn as you go.

That said, I'm sorry you had to hear it that way. A diagnosis is never easy, and to just get it dropped on you like that...again, wow. For what little it's worth, we've got a wealth of experience in the BPD field here, so if you have any questions at all, just ask!!
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:06 am

Postby Afrika2015 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Casper wrote:Wow, was that ever NOT the way to tell you. I'm hoping it's only because they thought that you already knew, and they were just writing it down to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Well, I'll tell you right now, even if they did tell you, they wouldn't be able to explain it well. It's a really tricky disorder to understand. Heck, even though I have it, when I first read all about it, I didn't understand it (I still don't fully understand it...I don't think I do, anyway). It's one of those ones where you'll read a whole lot on it, not believe 99% of it at first, and then, as time goes by, you'll start to see how your life really does fit in with the diagnosis. You just learn as you go.

That said, I'm sorry you had to hear it that way. A diagnosis is never easy, and to just get it dropped on you like that...again, wow. For what little it's worth, we've got a wealth of experience in the BPD field here, so if you have any questions at all, just ask!!

Thanks for your reply. I will def. read up on it when I have time.
Afrika2015
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby iCandi » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Adjustment disorder just means you've had a depressive, anxiety (or both) reaction to a temporary stressor i.e. Losing your job, going through a divorce/ break up, losing your home due to a natural disaster or something. Basically it means that if not for that specific event, you would not be depressed. It's the type of diagnosis given to people that are generally emotionally stable individuals but just happen to be doing through a momentary difficulty. It's one of the least severe diagnoses you could give someone and the only reason clinicians even use the diagnosis is because they HAVE to diagnose SOMETHING in order to bill insurance and get paid to treat you. That's the unfortunate side of health care, you end up with all these disorders just to get treatment.
iCandi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Afrika2015 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:33 am

iCandi wrote:Adjustment disorder just means you've had a depressive, anxiety (or both) reaction to a temporary stressor i.e. Losing your job, going through a divorce/ break up, losing your home due to a natural disaster or something. Basically it means that if not for that specific event, you would not be depressed. It's the type of diagnosis given to people that are generally emotionally stable individuals but just happen to be doing through a momentary difficulty. It's one of the least severe diagnoses you could give someone and the only reason clinicians even use the diagnosis is because they HAVE to diagnose SOMETHING in order to bill insurance and get paid to treat you. That's the unfortunate side of health care, you end up with all these disorders just to get treatment.

Hi, thanks for your reply. If you click on link, you'll see my main diagnosis is BPD. The whole thing is just bizarre tbh. I thought I was acting crazy because of my BPD.
Afrika2015
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby iCandi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:50 am

I completely agree it's bizarre. Adjustment disorder is typically given as a stand alone diagnosis. If someone has a severe, chronic disorder such as Major Depression, Bipolar, PTSD, BPD, etc. it would be pretty pointless to add an adjustment diagnosis on top of it when it's obvious that whatever triggered their admission (I'm assuming this was a hospital stay?) is likely a condition of their primary diagnosis.

Only thing I can think is that they didn't feel they could bill for your BPD since it's an axis 2 disorder and a lot of insurance providers will not reimburse for it. Psychiatrists' ways of getting around this is by slapping on an Axis 1 disorder that they can bill for. Usually with BPD, there's a co morbid axis 1 disorder like a mood disorder or anxiety disorder that they can use. Maybe you could contact your doctor and ask specifically what made them decide to add the adjustment diagnosis. It's unfortunate that many clinicians never think to explain these things. Reading your discharge paperwork is not the first you should've been hearing about it. That's unfair. But unfortunately, very common as well.
iCandi
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Afrika2015 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:51 am

iCandi wrote:I completely agree it's bizarre. Adjustment disorder is typically given as a stand alone diagnosis. If someone has a severe, chronic disorder such as Major Depression, Bipolar, PTSD, BPD, etc. it would be pretty pointless to add an adjustment diagnosis on top of it when it's obvious that whatever triggered their admission (I'm assuming this was a hospital stay?) is likely a condition of their primary diagnosis.

Only thing I can think is that they didn't feel they could bill for your BPD since it's an axis 2 disorder and a lot of insurance providers will not reimburse for it. Psychiatrists' ways of getting around this is by slapping on an Axis 1 disorder that they can bill for. Usually with BPD, there's a co morbid axis 1 disorder like a mood disorder or anxiety disorder that they can use. Maybe you could contact your doctor and ask specifically what made them decide to add the adjustment diagnosis. It's unfortunate that many clinicians never think to explain these things. Reading your discharge paperwork is not the first you should've been hearing about it. That's unfair. But unfortunately, very common as well.

I'm from the UK so I don't think the insurance thing applies to me. :?
Afrika2015
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby live1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:54 pm

Afrika2015 wrote:I mean, do these professionals get a kick out of sticking random labels on people? I wasn't even told. I just found out by looking at my last discharge notification ..

http://i.picresize.com/ESa8

I didn't even know BPD was my main diagnosis. I thought it was depression. I am so confused and annoyed because I have just realised that no one has really explained in detail what my diagnosis is. :roll: :( :x

This is crazy same thing happend to me yesterday.i was at a plastic surgen for somthing.and he just blurts out that ive been diaganosed with personality disorder i was like wtf this is news to me.as i went to the shrink 17 years ago for ocd panic attacks and depression lol.im completly cured but even still.i was shocked as nobody ever told me about this.as i defo dont have any symptoms of pd
live1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post