Our partner

What exactly is BPD?- meeting the DSM-V criteria

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: What exactly is BPD?- meeting the DSM-V criteria

Postby SBBro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:51 am

Its not good to look too deep.

AD, I think you should stick to DBT if you have access to it. It can treat more than just BPD and consider yourself lucky you have the choice.

Regarding changing PDs I dont think its possible BUT its not about changing the person, its about facilitation.

BPD is different to all the other PDs in that it is as disabling as an Axis 1 disorder.
I know people with ASPD, OCPD, NPD who live normal lives but BPD seems to be the one that goes a bit beyond a personality disorder. I have actually read up a lot on it and at best you can get remission of a lot of symptoms unlike for example OCPD which can still function normally in society but does not respond so well to treatment. So I wouldnt generalize PDs. Any PD is also a spectrum you can be minor to severe.

If you want some hope look at Marsha Linehan, she was in and out of psych wards for self harm. Shes likely had a $#%^ ton of haldol in her time and now shes the one teaching all the psychologists and psychiatrists how to treat BPD and she looks after 2 kids.
2012 "just anxiety"
2013 inpatient 'suicidality, MDD etc
2014 "youve been diagnosed with everything under the sun"
BPD
Current meds: Zoloft 25mg
SBBro
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Previous