Our partner

Self Treatment?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Self Treatment?

Postby Bilvad » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm new to the forums and wrote my first post in this forum a few hours ago called 'Bilvad-It Means 'Alone'. What I was wondering about is if there are some good resources online or ebooks which may help with self treatment for those of us not living in a country with good psychotherapy easily accessible? I'm sure that I will find this forum itself a good resource but it is the only tool in my toolkit so far; I'd like to add some more. Thanks.

-Bilvad
Bilvad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self Treatment?

Postby justagirl00 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:40 am

Hi Bilvad :)

I'm afraid I can't give any specific links or resources right now, but have you looked into DBT? I've heard a lot of people say they have had success with that, and I believe there may be self-help books to teach DBT techniques. Might be worth looking into. :)
justagirl00
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 pm

Postby Bilvad » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 am

Thanks justagirl00, I will try that.
Bilvad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jaus tail » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:56 am

it will be difficult as you won't have any external/independent perspective to monitor your improvement.

This link helped me

http://www.bipolarsjuk.se/pdf/Handbook% ... 0Group.pdf

the self couragement statements on page 25 helped a lot.

then posting my challenges on this forum also helped.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

Postby Bilvad » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks jaus tail, however I don't see how something relating to bipolar might be of help to me. I don't have those 'ups' and 'downs' like bipolar and many BPD's have. That's not one of the 5 of the 9 criteria for BPD that I fulfill, but many thanks for the response anyways. :)

-Bilvad
Bilvad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lilyfairy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Bilvad- welcome to the forum :)

Here is a site you might like to check out http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/index.html - it is a bit older, but has some good information on it and has lessons on it as well which you can work through on your own.

I don't have access to a therapist who can do DBT with me. I did purchase a DBT workbook online a while back and have been going through that trying to work on some things myself. It is difficult to work on by yourself, but I figure it is better than me just sitting and not trying to do anything about it- even if I just pick up on a few small things that help.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 pm

Postby Bilvad » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank you so much lilyfairy, I will check out that site right now.

Can I get the name of the workbook that you are working through as well and I will try to grab a copy of it?

Yeah, well, I have read that often one or two 'symptoms' of BPD are so severe, like depression for instance, that psychiatrists tend to focus on that at first before being able to start working on the more general problem itself, that being BPD, which is understandable. I found this to be true in my case as well where my depression and another problem were so severe, they had little choice other than to focus on getting them under control. Now I finally feel that I am at the point where I can start to focus on the actual problem rather than just the alleviation of symptoms.

Then given the fact that many therapists try to put as much distance as they can between themselves and people with BPD, from what I have read. We tend to be major headaches from time to time, quite often sometimes lol. Not only that, but many consider BPDs to be the most difficult to treat, often not cooperating with treatment, medications, etc., etc.

Thank you again for the link, and it is encouraging to know that someone else is in a similar position as me having to make the best of it with self treatment for the time being. Maybe we can work together sometime through PM's or whatever, working through chapters of books or whatever, discussing them and whatnot. Let me know. Fell free to PM anytime. :)

-Bilvad
Bilvad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:06 pm

You're welcome. I hope you can find some useful things in that site.

It was called the DBT Skills Workbook. I can't remember the name of the author atm- I don't have the book near me right now. Some things I found I wasn't in a mental space to be able to work on particular things as yet, but I guess that's something that will come with time.

I too have found the focus has always been on my depression rather than the PD issues- and the thing is, that if past doctors/therapists had looked more closely at my PD issues, then I don't think the depression would be as big a problem as it is- they just feed off each other pretty much.

Thanks for the offer to PM too. I'll keep it in mind.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 pm

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post