Our partner

'Running away' as an adult

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

'Running away' as an adult

Postby DesLock » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Have any of you ran away, or considered running away, after the age of 18?
Just packing a bag, clearing the bank account and disappearing from 'everyday life' and all of it's expectations?
If you have, what happened?
If you've considered it, why haven't you yet?
~Das leben ist eine fremdsprache, alle menschen sprechen es falsch aus~
DesLock
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am
Blog: View Blog (6)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 'Running away' as an adult

Postby youneverreallyknow » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:41 am

I've considered it a lot but never actually done it. I think it was mostly just escapism that helped me to cope, but when I was really struggling I would plan it all out, think about the best timing, what I'd need to organise. Or some days I'd be thinking that I couldn't take one more second of the life I was trapped in, was freaking out and that I should just up and drive away without any thought about how I would actually live.

I don't know that it would have been a forever thing. More one of those people who is expected to be at work one day, disappears and then is found on the other side of the country a few days later.

What stopped me was probably just guilt and responsibility to others. The time when I was seriously considering this, I was stuck in a miserable marriage, struggling with our child, work, study etc. Abandoning a child (even if just for a week) wasn't something I could bring myself to do. If not for that, it would have been much more likely. Now things have changed a bit. Marriage is over, don't feel quite as trapped. The desire to run away isn't there right now.
youneverreallyknow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby WendyTorrance » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am

Yes, constantly.
But obviously am unable to run away from myself. So this time, I'm trying to have just few longer term goals,
that prevent me from escaping.
WendyTorrance
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 am

Postby DesLock » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I imagine having a kid would destroy the idea quite a bit. Whenever I've considered it my main concern was always running out of money and ending on the streets, which I've experienced before and it wasn't pleasant. If anyone is considering running away, my only advice would be to buy a one man tent and a sleeping bag for when hotel money runs out.
~Das leben ist eine fremdsprache, alle menschen sprechen es falsch aus~
DesLock
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby madjoe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 pm

still recovering from a broken heel but used to run 5times /week
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:43 pm

I seriously considered it for a while at one point in my life, but there were a lot of things I would've had to do to prepare and I was basically too lazy to do it, and then eventually things just got better and I didn't want to run away anymore.
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Postby Ajaam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:13 pm

I have but I haven't done it for the same reason I haven't had any more suicide attempts - I have taken pets and I know that I have to take care of them. Even when I wasn't recovered yet, when the thoughts of leaving permanently or killing myself came, I just thought about my three cats and my dog and I knew I couldn't do it because they need a stable home and even as I know that my friends and relatives wouldn't put them to sleep, they would be separated from each other because no one would take all of them together.

I know another person whit BPD who actually 'run away' or for her it meant that she moved to foreign countries a few time without telling hew relatives and friends and coworkers. She just left like that. But after she had a child she has become much more stable. She hasn't recovered as far as I know but she'd told me that she uses the need to take care of someone as an addiction.

And I've heard that former drug addicts do the same sometimes - take pets for instance because then they know that they CAN'T fall back because noone will take care of the pets.
Ajaam
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

Postby crazyyycatladyyy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:51 am

I've done this.

.. Twice.

It was dumb, in retrospect, but I learned so much and it ended up working out for me somehow.
Bipolar II, PTSD, Borderline tendencies (recovering)
crazyyycatladyyy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 pm

Postby rickybb » Mon May 18, 2015 9:13 am

ive done this 3 times now, just did it the third time last week, ive run from australia to new zealand. just left without telling friends, parents only knew because i was living with them, fear of success or fear of settling down i dont know.

ii am enjoying the freedom, dopamine levels are off the scale, oh and i left because of a few reasons, one being my brain, hardcore cystal meth addiction frying it.
rickybb
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:52 pm

Postby Torleelaa » Mon May 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Yes, and I'm actually able to do that. I have people who would be willing to take me in and I could completely cut off EVERYTHING from my past and NEVER go back.

The alternative would be doing it on my own completely and prostitution until I finish college.
Torleelaa
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post