Our partner

Hallucintations and manipulation?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Hallucintations and manipulation?

Postby katiedog » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:49 am

Hey, new to this forum. To give some background, my boyfriend (of two years) has been having hallucinations for about the past six months. We think he has BPD and fits many of the symptoms very closely. He has seen a psychiatrist and was started on an SSRI and a mood stabilizer, which might have helped some depression, but not the hallucinations. The people that he sees are very real to him and can scare him, sometimes preventing him from functioning normally (he lost a job because of his hallucinations). His mood disorder and hallucinations began shortly after a very difficult time in our relationship when I had cheated on him. He seems to be open and honest about what they do or say and I have the impression that he sees these people on a daily basis. Sometimes they talk to him and usually tell him that he is worthless or that he should hurt himself. From day to day, he deals with it and usually doesn't mention it.

The problem is that they are ALWAYS aggravated if I go out of town, particularly if I am with any of my guy friends, or even if I try to go out with a girl friend on the weekend to a bar or such. It seems like he gets thrown into these fits of rage and then inconsolable sadness and then back to normal and apologetic about it all. I have cancelled plans with friends several times because of his episodes and have been embarrassed many more times by repeated phone calls from him telling me that he will hurt himself "if I don't come home right this second." Even before I cheated on him he was possessive and jealous at times, but this is much different. Is it possible that he has learned the behavior of having worse hallucinations when there is something he does not want me to do (like having an episode immediately before I go out with friends, even though we had talked about it earlier)? I'm not saying he is "faking," but more that the hallucinations are taking control and manifesting his stress from a particular situation. Does anyone have experience with this?
katiedog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post