Our partner

Diagnosed with 'Emtionally Unstable Personality Disorder'

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Diagnosed with 'Emtionally Unstable Personality Disorder'

Postby horizon987 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello!!!

A mental health team as diagnosed me with 'emotionally unstable personality disorder' after I was referred to an acute mental health team by an emergency psychiatrist when I was in hospital for self harm. Most mental health practitioners consider it to be a severe psychiatric disorder, and one of the most dangerous.

I don't feel comfortable with people considering me to be dangerous, I see myself as a muddle of random ideas, identities and feelings that are all underlined by my constant emptiness. Basically I like to think I'm unstable, not dangerous. What do you people think about people thinking of the condition as a dangerous one. I apologise if I'm offending anyone with my ignorance, one ones completely described the illness to me, just most of it. I've got the idea and see why they've diagnosed me with it.
Diagnosis: borderline personality disorder, mild Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
horizon987
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Diagnosed with 'Emtionally Unstable Personality Disorder

Postby Iloveandhatebrains » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 pm

I hate it. I'm such a gentle, loving person. I love animals and children. I'm a calm and attentive worker. I can do pretty much any task without emotional interference taking over and I would never hurt a soul but myself.

Really, my emotions are only out of control at home, within the confines of my romantic relationship. Sure, I get overwhelming feelings about friendships etc, but I am able to contain myself to the point of functioning normally within society.

At home, I may become frustrated and hurt myself or even hit a wall, but I still am not dangerous.

It's a horrible stigma and one of the big reasons I haven't been wanting to get diagnosed. I've delayed seeing a psychiatrist for years. I'm finally on the waiting list, and honestly, I'm kind of dreading it because of how I might be viewed afterwards just because of a label.

Welcome!
Iloveandhatebrains
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby everglow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:51 pm

I have luckily been referred to MBT without actually having an official diagnosis. I've been through the whole referral process and they are certain I have it from all the forms etc I've filled in etc.

I have an "official" diagnosis of depression and I am going to leave it like that. I could go and get it diagnosed so it's on my medical records, but why when I'm going to get the treatment for it regardless. I'm lucky in that way.

I am not dangerous to others but I could be seen as a danger to myself. People with bpd are very caring just we perceive different behaviours with our friends and loved ones as negative and this causes us to panic. This in no way means you are uncaring or dangerous, we actually care too much I think!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
everglow
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Iloveandhatebrains » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Can I ask how you managed it everglow? That'd be my perfect scenario.
Iloveandhatebrains
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby pdlord » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 pm

Is it possible for someone with BPD to try playing some sports, go for a running, swimming etc to use their anger or whatever it is on. There are people who do kick boxing when they are angry, that way they they use their anger in a positive way I think.

I used to for a Sauna, swimming and spa to relieve my anxiety and used to come back home so relaxed and refreshed I dont have words for it. In fact we were three friends (and housemates)and we all used to enjoy our time there.
pdlord
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Ophelia333 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:12 pm

In my opinion we're definitely more of a danger to ourselves than to anybody else...
Basically what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly."
Ophelia333
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby horizon987 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Ophelia333 wrote:In my opinion we're definitely more of a danger to ourselves than to anybody else...

^^^^^^^

Couldn't agree more my friend, well I guess it depends on the other severity of the condition and if there are any other conditions your BPD is comorbid with like AsPD. But yeah, what you said is true, basically.
Diagnosis: borderline personality disorder, mild Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
horizon987
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby everglow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Iloveandhatebrains wrote:Can I ask how you managed it everglow? That'd be my perfect scenario.

Hey. Where are you from?

I live in the south of England. I went to my doctor after some bad panic attacks and was referred to talking therapies. I had the interview with them but they said I wasn't right there so they referred me to the "complex needs service" maybe ask you doctor if there is one in the area (if in UK) rather than going through talking therapies etc.

I'm still waiting on a letter with my start date! And the whole process has taken about 6 months so far (with intermittent support). I think if you want immediate help get a diagnosis but if you are willing to go through the processes to get the help it's worth it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer
everglow
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Iloveandhatebrains » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:00 am

Hi everglow,

I thought you must be in the UK! I've been through exactly the same process. Unfortunately I got unlucky.

TT referred me to "complex needs", but it turned out to be psychoanalysis type stuff with a very intimidating woman who insisted that this was all because of sexual abuse in my past (may be a factor, yes, but I don't want to go into the gory details on my first ever visit!) and even implied that I want to work with children because of it. That part really disturbed me, it was like she was implying I'm a paedophile when the only information she had was A-I was abused as a child B- I want to work with children. I wasn't spoken to like a human being and wasn't listened to.

I so hope your experience is better than mine. Be careful! I suspect it was the individual therapist rather than the norm...I should have requested a different therapist, but I was so put off that I just left it for a year.

Now I'm starting the process again but TT have put me on an 8 week CBT because of my bad experience with complex needs. So still, not really what I need. So I've asked for psych referral, which means the dreaded diagnosis that I really don't want. I might stall until I've done some CBT and see how I feel.

Good luck! Sorry to put the horrors up you...surely my experience was a one-off blip, they can't all be like that!

I'd be interested to hear how you get on :)
Iloveandhatebrains
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby everglow » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 am

Iloveandhatebrains wrote:
I so hope your experience is better than mine. Be careful! I suspect it was the individual therapist rather than the norm...I should have requested a different therapist, but I was so put off that I just left it for a year

I was referred to CAT when I was 17, it was all ok but then my therapist stopped turning up! It put me off for about 7 years!

Then when I did get referred to complex needs I had the four focus sessions with the rudest woman ever. It almost put me off again. But when she said she wouldn't be my therapist I thought I could deal with it. But yeh she said that the abuse/rape was my fault or both people's fault. I probably led them on bla bla. It was very upsetting as I can barely talk about it as it is!

When I spoke to my future therapist he was very comforting. And I have some high hopes for him!
everglow
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post