Our partner

Borderline Personality Disorder: An Overview

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: A Note for All Borderlines.......

Postby jadecarolinex » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 am

I don't believe borderline people are weak, I believe were just strong people and we got lost somewhere, I know my strong person, my normal self-esteem and rational mind is in there somewhere, i'm just trying to find her :)
I don't believe borderline people are weak, I believe we're strong people and we just got lost somewhere, I know my strong person, my normal self-esteem and rational mind is in there somewhere, i'm just trying to find her :)
jadecarolinex
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby rainbow_sprinkles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

jadecarolinex wrote:I don't believe borderline people are weak, I believe were just strong people and we got lost somewhere, I know my strong person, my normal self-esteem and rational mind is in there somewhere, i'm just trying to find her :)

this exactly. :)
rainbow_sprinkles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MissAli » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:23 am

jadecarolinex-

That was a beautiful way to put it. I feel that in some small way, you've helped me hold hands with a piece of myself.

Thank you for that!

<3

AMP
Knowing other people is intelligence, knowing yourself is wisdom.

Mastering other people is strength, mastering yourself is power.

If you realize that what you have is enough, you will be rich, truly rich.

~Tao

The Rulez: http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php
MissAli
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

Postby jadecarolinex » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I've used my response to this post as my signature, I think it motivates me in someway to try get better and help myself, it's also nice to know that people like & relate to how I feel on my disorder :)
I don't believe borderline people are weak, I believe we're strong people and we just got lost somewhere, I know my strong person, my normal self-esteem and rational mind is in there somewhere, i'm just trying to find her :)
jadecarolinex
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby SmileXx » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 am

jadecarolinex wrote:I don't believe borderline people are weak, I believe were just strong people and we got lost somewhere, I know my strong person, my normal self-esteem and rational mind is in there somewhere, i'm just trying to find her :)

::like::

^_^
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.

Da Rulz
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby enthused » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm

I am so happy I have found this site to connect with others that are going through what I am going through.

I have not been officially diagnosed with BPD, but my therapist and I agree that it is very likely that is what it is.

I have been going to therapy weekly (I LOVE my therapist) for about a month or two now. I have made very little improvement, but have at least gained hope that I can live a normal life one day and that maybe someday someone will love me and not leave me.

I have officially pushed my best friend here away (we had a huge fight last night and he's already made it clear that he cannot be my support anymore) and I have decided to cut him out of my life for now to focus on taking care of only myself/I feel too guilty being in his life right now.

I really need all the support I can get... there are so few people I can actually talk to about all of this.
enthused
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

Re: borderline personality vs bipolar disorder

Postby Melancholic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 pm

I have Bipolar II (currently being poked and prodded for Bipolar I) and I cut myself. I began when I was sixteen, then stopped after I self medicated with drugs from two years.

As a young adult (sober by choice, I'm not an addict. I quit smoking at random after four years), I sought help when I began cutting again and then fell into a worse of depression for so long that I had to call out of work and then quit my job. I was a Partially Hospitalized Patient (meaning I had therapy from 9 in the morning until 3 in the afternoon and psychiatrists weekly or biweekly) and was officially diagnosed Bipolar.

Most therapists view cutting as an addiction. It's ritualized and people use self harm for different reasons (the ability to feel, an emotional release, etc). It doesn't solely belong to one diagnosis.
"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Bipolar Type 1 Disorder, ADD: Diazepam- 20mg Lamotrigine- 200mg Adderall- 20mg Duloxetine-30mg capsules Olanzapine- 5mg
Melancholic
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Blog: View Blog (5)

Re:

Postby JWM26 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:24 am

Tri-polar wrote:To summarize the difference between the two disorders...

People with Bipolar disorder {such as me} don't have "major"
abandonment terror, real or imagined, where as people with BPD do.

People with Bi-polar disorder do not idealize and then devalue people "constantly"...as where people with BPD do...

People with Bi-polar disorder, don't "compulsively lie" as where many people with BPD do...

People with Bi-polar disorder do not have states of mania, in one day, then depression the next day...or even in hours...where as people with BPD do...

People with Bi-polar disorder are NOT prone to abusing others, where as people with BPD are prone to the abuse of others...

People with Bi-polar disorder do not stalk people, where as people with BPD often do....

and most importantly...People with Bi-polar disorder, are way, way more inclined to get help, where as people with BPD are not...

and people with Bi-polar disorder, like myself, are tired of the mix up, when the differences of the two disorders are like comparing apples to oranges... the symptoms of heart palpitations are similar to an actual heart attack...however, they are extremely different...and I have Bi-polar disorder and have dated someone who i later found out had BPD and i will assure you...there is NO similarity's in our behaviors..yikes!!!...lol...what an experience that was...

First, you are very mean and insensitive, you are also projecting your anger on those who do not deserve it, talk about being a drama queen, based on your own opinions, you may just have BPD.

My original diagnosis was BPD and givin to me by a civilian phsyc while I was in the Navy, this was 24 yrs ago, since then I have been told I have bi polar , clinical depression, PTSD, schizoid, and most recently back to BPD, I take Lamotrigene and resperidone though I am kicking the resperidone due to facial and hand tics. I have all the symptoms of BPD except cutting/hurting myself physically, but I did have a tendency of cutting myself in high school but I have done no such thing since, I do not compulsively lie, or stalk people or really anything on your list, however, I had a partner years ago that was bi polar, she was extremely manipulative and dangerously violent when not on lithium, her moods where a roller coaster, I dont blame her, she has a deplorable terrible disease, and yes she was fully diagnosed by several doctors to have bi polar, she was very sensitive though, and loving, very unlike tripolar.
I would say that BP and BPD have specific symptoms, witch is why we can even be remotely be diagnosed, but as individuals the symptoms may vary in intensity, also say that a person is naturally insensitive but also has bi polar, how would anyone differentiate between the two.

There is some great feed back like from smiles, this type of feed back is very real, and very to the point, then there is feed back like from tripolar, this type is degrading, insensitive,destructive and not needed

I would say lets support each other no matter, we are all suffering or we would not be on the forum, Thank You to the OP as it has greatly fed my understanding.

Think before you post!
JWM26
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby katana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 am

How's this for a more neutral explanation...

1. pw bipolar have healthy remissions in between episodes, where mental illness symptoms are absent.

This may be difficult for people trying to self-diagnose to distinguish from times of less stress where they feel more stable. you can't have "remissions" in a PD because the PD is integrated into the person's thought patterns and personality.

Bipolar is not supposed to be integrated into personality. a person can be completely "normal" in their thinking when well, and totally different when unwell.

2. People with bipolar don't split. They may become paranoid during extreme mania or depression, but this is not the same thing - splitting is a specific psychological problem. and when not manic or depressed, unless they also have another problem like PD, people with Bipolar will be capable of engaging with relationships with healthy intimacy.

3. Bipolar dysregulation is mood dysregulation i.e. mania and depression. BPD dysregulation is emotional dysregulation. a person with Bipolar may be emotionally stable, or unstable i general its not so much to do with the disorder. Emotional instability is what BPD is about.

The extreme stresses of BPD could easily cause depressive or hypomanic/psychotic episodes, the same way trauma like abuse or bereavement commonly cause depression in otherwise "healthy" people. people with BPD often have emotional trauma issues.

I reckon this is why pwBPD are prone to depression and "intermittent stress-related psychosis".

Also, B&W thinking, issues dealing with feelings etc. vs, i knew a guy who went manic and would believe he was the son of god until he was brought back down with medication, or the guy who bought 300 trees, or woman who had to return 40 bags full of shopping - acts that are completely out of character for the person when they are not manic, not just regret for actions or feeling energised.

With bipolar, the focus is on long term mood swings which are by definition unreactive to outside stimuli, i.e. you can't cheer up a severely [typical clinically] depressed person, however hard you try.

you can cheer up a severely depressed pw BPD very quickly with the right thing, and then all of a sudden another thing can send them right back down again.

Its complicated by the fact pwBPD(and most other Cluster Bs) are prone to experiencing Axis 1 type problems caused by the extreme stresses of their PD.

Because of this, it would make sense in most cases if any solid dx of bipolar isn't made until BPD is ruled out, or in the case of a person having both disorders, treated. Also, psychological causes of mood swings should also be ruled out.

One is not more acceptable than the other they are just different problems.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby JWM26 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Very well said and much more informative, Thank You katana.
JWM26
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

PreviousNext

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post