Our partner

Issues With Authority

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Echinacea, Casper, lilyfairy

Issues With Authority

Postby Ophelia333 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Okay, so it's obviously a major ASPD trait but i'm wondering if others with BPD also share this?
I never respect people unless they show me respect and to be honest, a lot of people in authority tend to be egotistical narcissists with little respect for anybody but themselves. Ever since I was at school I had a problem with authority figures. I'd go so far as to say it's a 'hatred' actually. Teachers, managers, the police! Basically anyone who likes to think they have some sort of 'power' over me. (I'm not including my parents in that because they were as far from authoritative as you could possibly imagine.) Is this a BPD thing? Maybe I just have some clear antisocial traits :shock:
Basically what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly."
Ophelia333
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Issues With Authority

Postby katana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 pm

No I wouldn't say its a bpd thing, it could just be an "issue with authority". doesn't stop you having either.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jamberrypie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 am

I have major issues with authority. I wouldn't say that it's a hatred though. It leans more towards being fearful, cautious, and wary of them. These are the types of people who have the power to hurt me in potentially very arbitrary ways. I have no idea whether that is part of BPD though.
jamberrypie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:16 am

Postby minotauros » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 am

I thought I had issues with authority. Then I thought back on it. If its a manager, cop, etc... without an ego problem, I never have an issue with them. I have an issue with authorities with ego problems. That I'll admit, drives me nuts!
Live life by the horns, or die wishing you had.
minotauros
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 am

Postby anothernight » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 am

I wouldn't say that I have 'issues' with authority. When I want to do something impulsive though, I really don't care about them.
BPD
EDNOS/BN
'Double depression'

CMeds: Lithium
anothernight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby kalley1618 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 am

i'm not sure if it's related to borderline personality disorder..
but yeah i have issues with authority too.
in middle school i told the principal i hate authority.
in high school i dropped out because the principal there said she wanted to help me succeed.
i despised her for saying that, i don't need help
=^-.-^=
kalley1618
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby letha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:20 am

I have issues acknowledging authority. I never had anyone who was in that position when I was growing up, and I knew they could do nothing to me that I cared about. I spent most of school in detention, Saturday school, summer school... "alternative" school. And then just not going at all. I've always been extremely defiant. Part of it, I think, was because it was the only way I got attention. The other part is that I wasn't planning to live long enough to deal with any consequences (still here though!) Now, I have problems in the workplace. I try, but I find it incredibly difficult to allow anyone to have authority over me.

Though... I'm very much attracted to people in positions of authority haha.
"I have seen too much, felt too much, loved too much in my life; I come to seek, still living, the calm of Lethe. Lovely place, be for me those banks of oblivion: to forget is my only happiness."
letha
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

Postby serenity333 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 am

I dislike authority however I'm really trying to be open to constructive criticism because I'm aware that I make mistakes like everyone else..that I've started listening to advice and I've received really good suggestions so it does make me regret that I didn't do it earlier. I dislike hearing constructive criticism at the time but I liken it to a plaster-the worst part is pulling it off..afterwards, I tend to think "oh it wasn't that bad". The anticipation of the constructive criticism is always worse than the actual event itself.

I think that my dislike of authority was really tied up in my relationship with my father-he was very authoritarian and that coloured my attitude towards all authority figures. I tend to have a theory that if someone has been put down or abused in some way, that sometimes they will become more defiant or rebellious-almost as a defense mechanism of sorts..the only way they know how to maintain their voice because they feel like no one is listening to them..that no one understands and that the only way to get their needs met and heard is to be more aggressive. At least that was my experience of it anyways!

I feel like I've pretty much got "closure" over the issues with my father-that I can accept the situation for what it is so now I'm able to accept authority figures for what they are..that no, I still don't like them or approve of them but I do recognise the need for some kind of authority figures in society or else it would just be anarchy everywhere. I definitely think the fact that I've dealt with my issues with my father makes it easier for me to deal with authority figures...that there was just this indisputable link there between the two. I don't think that issues with authority figures comes out of nowhere-it definitely comes out of some kind of traumatic experience
"You are not what happened to you, you are what you choose to become"-Carl Jung
serenity333
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby centerpath » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:21 pm

I had a terrible time with certain authority figures in my life for a long time. Police, I never had an issue with, their standards made sense to me and I didn't get off on breaking the law, if anything I liked the idea of them being around.

Snooty and judgmental "church lady" types? They'd send me through the roof.

For me, now years later in retrospect, it came down to seeking validation. When a discussion or interaction starts with a person telling me that I'm out of line or need to change my attitude or behavior it's pretty invalidating, and I had years of and layers of anger and resentment at constant invalidating messages and projections, so it was a definite trigger.

A compassionate person who could see I was struggling and afraid and insecure who would suggest a better way to go? I'd be putty in their hands. All comes down to approach.
centerpath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby outcaster » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 am

I definitely have issue with authority figures, I find them rude and narcissistic but at the same time I feel this attraction towards them maybe because most authority figures are charismatic.
I would push my limit to piss them off and get a little pleasure out of it. 8)
outcaster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post