Our partner

Issues With Authority

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Echinacea

Re: Issues With Authority

Postby Ophelia333 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am

littlearcher wrote:that's a very astute observation, centerpath and helps me to frame my answer

i don't think i have issues with authority in general....what i have issues with is abuse of power

Yes! I think this is what I was trying to say. For myself I think it probably has something to do with being abused by someone in authority (stepfather) I just don't trust them. I have the belief they all have a hidden agenda. Probably not a healthy way to perceive things but in my opinion it's usually pretty accurate.

outcaster wrote:I definitely have issue with authority figures, I find them rude and narcissistic but at the same time I feel this attraction towards them maybe because most authority figures are charismatic.
I would push my limit to piss them off and get a little pleasure out of it. 8)

I agree with all of what you said! I've noticed i'm attracted to certain people in authority (despite the fact I don't like or trust them...messed up huh?) & I ALWAYS push my limit. I was always in trouble at school for this. I just don't like people thinking they have power over me & I enjoyed showing them this :shock:
Basically what we have here is a dreamer. Somebody out of touch with reality. When she jumped, she probably thought she'd fly."
Ophelia333
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 28, 2017 6:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Shazam » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm

I totally agree with what Centerpath and Ophelia have said regarding the problem is not so much authority, but abuse of authority.

And IMHO there seems to be a clear link to BPD. To me, BPD is largely product of inadequate parenting, meaning the most important authority in the BPD sufferer's life -- his/her parent(s) -- failed to fulfill their natural duties. So authority has failed the person with BPD from the get-go. Whereas people who had good-enough parent(s) are guided by an initial experience of "people with authority generally do the right thing" and are therefore more trusting.

This seems clear to me, partly because the things that bother me most about abusers of authority -- their invalidation, their lack of consideration, their embrace of injustice -- are exactly the same things that bother me most about my Nmom. I think my experiences with her treachery have made me hyper-vigilant for and super-intolerant of similar treachery among other authority figures.
Shazam
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 28, 2017 10:30 am

Postby isolate2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm

I don't hate them, I just do whatever I want to do despite what they may say. Sometimes I purposely do the opposite of what they tell me to do, but it's mostly just to piss them off if they just happen to be on my bad side.
isolate2
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby madjoe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 pm

i'm defendly subversive
i will charm manipulate or bully everyone who thinks they can be my boss
(inclueding bosses trainers teachers etc)
madjoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post