Our partner

Movies featuring characters with Borderline?

Borderline Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Casper, justagirl00

Movies featuring characters with Borderline?

Postby Chainedlynx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 am

I have an essay due for my abnormal psych class and I can't seem to find any movies that feature a character with BPD criteria. There is Girl, Interrupted but I'm sure half my class is going to do that movie as it's on her suggestion list. She wants me to be creative in my choice. Part of me wants to do Girl, Interrupted to point out all the flaws in the portrayal of BPD. It does some things spot on, but others it misses by what feels like miles.

I was thinking of doing Black Swan. I'm really drawn to this movie as Borderline individual. I remember it standing out to me. Black Swan. White Swan. Invalidating environment/mother. Idealizing/Devaluing. No clear sense of identity. Intense/Unstable relationships. Some self injury, although not by choice. Definitely stress related paranoia, delusions and dissociative symptoms. Arguably some impulsivity.

The problem with using Black Swan I think, is the hallucinations. I personally think it was an artistic decision and she isn't really having a psychotic episode. Those kind of vivid hallucinations in someone who can function on that level is rare. But artistically, I'm drawn to the whole black/white thing. Not sure what other people think regarding Black Swan.

I could do Fatal Attraction. It shows some really crystal clear diagnostic criteria for BPD, I just think the portrayal is terrible. I could again, point out the flaws and all that jazz, but I'd rather use a movie that has a better view on BPD.

Anyway, lets talk about movies featuring characters with Borderline Personality Disorder.
Dx: Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety Disorder NOS, Depressive Disorder NOS.
Chainedlynx
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Movies featuring characters with Borderline?

Postby Muggzy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

"Gone with the Wind"? I always thought Scarlett O'Hara was pretty borderline.
Muggzy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Postby wineaux » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Dx: PDNOS, ADHD, MDD, ED (recovering)

i'm in your threadz, moddin' your postsImage
wineaux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Postby missehffs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 pm

I think Crazy:Beautiful (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250224/) was similar to how I felt in my teens, I cry every time I watch this film as I can see how I used to behave/felt within this film.
missehffs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Postby doesntfeelbeautiful » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

In my opinion Black Swan was more about DID than BPD. Savage Grace with Julianne Moore was a good one but like Fatal Attraction the portrayal is very negative but her charecter was BPd for sure. Another one that never get's a mention is the movie Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me (not the tv series) the main charecter Laura Palmer is BPD with PTSD.
The beauty of suffering is our ability to survive it.
doesntfeelbeautiful
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby serenity333 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 pm

I thought that Elizabeth Wurtzel in "Prozac Nation" had BPD-I'm unsure if you could use that as she says she has atypical depression in the book (not sure about the film) however she exhibits a number of borderline symptoms like unstable relationships, impulsivity in a number of areas in her life like promiscuity and substance abuse, self harm etc.

I wonder whether Nina's hallucinations in "Black Swan" represent her subconscious-the part of her that she has repressed? The line between appearance and reality is blurry in Black Swan so I wonder whether the hallucinations were used as an artistic tool to show the emergence of Nina's "Black Swan" side-the sexual, uninhibited side of her that she had been forced to suppress by her mother's overt control.

I also think that Nina's self harm was a misguided attempt at asserting herself-she is unable to directly challenge her mother so she challenges her in passive aggressive ways. Nina appears to be quite submissive and meek-she seeks direction from more dominant characters in the film such as her mother, Leroy and then Lily. I wonder whether she could also have Dependent Personality Disorder and maybe Avoidant Personality Disorder as she seems shy and doesn't generally mix with the other dancers.

Oh I thought of another film! How about Anne Hathaway's character Kym in "Rachel Getting Married". The film mainly deals with her drug use however she appears to have some borderline traits. For example: possible promiscuity-she sleeps with a guy she just meets. Kym also engages in a lot of impulsive behaviours-she drove her mother's car whilst high and ended up in a car accident which killed her younger brother.
"You are not what happened to you, you are what you choose to become"-Carl Jung
serenity333
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ahtuhmihead » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:24 am

There's definitely another thread on this forum for Borderline movies because I remember posting in it. It was several pages long with has several examples in case you want to check it out.
ahtuhmihead
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 am

Postby NovelApproach » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Not a movie but Brenda Chenowith in the show Six Feet Under.
NovelApproach
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:29 am

Postby verylittlealice » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:21 pm

There is a French film called 'Borderline' which I really like. Maybe give it a look :)
verylittlealice
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Betty Blue is an excellent one, and a bit more obscure.
Borderline Personality Disorder, Dysthymia.

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Sim
snapdragon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Borderline Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post