Our partner

PROZAC AND ABILIFY FOR BDD, BDD=PSYCHOSIS?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

PROZAC AND ABILIFY FOR BDD, BDD=PSYCHOSIS?

Postby retrodat » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:30 pm

I was very successful, had everything going for me then suddenly in the last 2 years my BDD( which was subtle throughout my life) has crippled me, i can't leave the house. My BDD is directly related to the imperfections of my SKIN ( everyone thinks i have great skin). I know I'm good looking, even better than average, but my mind likes to obsess over crazy stuff and over exaggerate small stuff, i can't out rationalize it! My psychiatrist has said that BDD or OCD can become so severe that it becomes similar to delusional behavior ( Psychosis). Is this true?

Doctors have put me on Prozac and Abilify, as a result.

IS ANYONE ON MEDICATION FOR BDD AND HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN CURED WITH MEDICATIONS????
retrodat
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: PROZAC AND ABILIFY FOR BDD, BDD=PSYCHOSIS?

Postby lisatiffx0 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm

I have been on Seroquil, Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, and Risperdal for BDD (not all at once, lol), none seemed effective for me. Everyone is different though, what doesnt work for me, may work for you. Those medications have side effects of weight gain and I gained 50lbs in such a short amount of time, it was dangerous to my health, and I am now self-conscious about my weight. I am currently taking St.John's Wort for my anxiety and compulsions, and Ginko Biloba for the delusional part, they dont seem to be working either. Also, just simple psychotherapy is known to have the same expected results as medication, but that is also different between each individual because we could be all wired differently
lisatiffx0
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum