Our partner

What DOESN'T bother you?

Body Dysmorphic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What DOESN'T bother you?

Postby hiddenbeauty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Do you have any features on your face or body that you can honestly say never bother you, or that you never think about?

Funnily enough for me, I am actually bothered/concerned by nearly everything. My nose, eyes, eyebrows, lips, cheeks, facial structure, hair, neck, arms, legs, feet, toes, hands, fingers, nails. Like literally everything is bothersome. Obviously I have my worst features, but sadly a LOT seems to bother me. The only things I practically never think about are my butt, ankles, and ears. I think I have at least some degree of dysmorphophobia with nearly every other feature. Like, they disgust me. If I'm standing on the street or something, I can be disgusted by just thinking about a feature that isn't in my top 5. Like all of a sudden my feet can cause me revolt in my head and I become very distressed by that.

Also I would be interested to know whether there has ever been a feature of your face/body that you were never bothered by, but one day suddenly began to cause you distress. For me, my nasolabial folds (smile lines) were something I knew were there, but never ever actually bothered me. Then my dermatologist commented on the fact that they were deep and now they have become the bane of my life.
the word face does not exist in my dictionary.
hiddenbeauty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What DOESN'T bother you?

Postby DolphinDreams » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:48 am

I like my hands, my neck and my eye color. Everything else.......meh
DolphinDreams
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby hiddenbeauty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 pm

DolphinDreams wrote:I like my hands, my neck and my eye color. Everything else.......meh

What;s your eye color?
hiddenbeauty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby abstracted » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:24 pm

I guess I would say my feet don't bother me. That seems kind of obvious, but I have "objectively ugly" feet. I have a big scar on one. I just find it kind of funny though, not hideous.
abstracted
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm

Postby Toon Link » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:02 am

I'm happy with my green eyes, dark brown hair and darkish (for a Caucasian Englisman) skin.

like you though I've taken issue with literally every single part of my face at some point or other. Makes me laugh now to think in my teens my only real concern was my nose and that nothing else bothered me whatsoever. Now all of a sudden I have a massive forehead, misaligned eyes, and facial asymmetry that would make a funhouse mirror look at me and go "what the f***??!!"
Toon Link
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hiddenbeauty » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:49 am

Toon Link wrote: Now all of a sudden I have a massive forehead, misaligned eyes, and facial asymmetry that would make a funhouse mirror look at me and go "what the f***??!!"

lol, describes me in a nutshell. weird how that seems to have happened.
hiddenbeauty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby karenSrAinyDay » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:28 am

For the most part, I like my jaw and eyes. My jaw is very defined and squared off, if I do say so myself (and others have told me).

I used to long for bright eyes (like green or blue!) but now I actually really like my eye color, which is a really dark brown. I think there really is some great beauty, kind of mystifying, with dark eyes. Take examples like: Maureen Starkey, Karen Carpenter, Natalie Wood... They all had incredibly dark eyes and I think it was absolutely gorgeous on them. Striking!

Now, not saying I think I'm striking (ha.ha.) but I am happy that I can feel good about a part of me :)

-- Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:30 pm --

What IS interesting is that my feelings towards most of my features change quite a bit. There have been days where I think my nose is entirely too big for my face, then the next day I think it's too small!

Pretty much same goes for everything on my face and body. One day I can think my eyes are too far apart, then the next they're ok... lips are too thin and wide, then too small? IDK. I really can't get an accurate picture of myself because through mirrors and pictures alike, I feel like I look so different in all of them.
karenSrAinyDay
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm

Postby uglyashell » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:38 am

My eyes are green, I like the color. My fingernails are alright. I don't like my hair, skin, paleness, under eye circles, eyebrows, breasts, arms, thighs, calves, feet, butt but I'm not obsessed with them because you can always change the way your body looks, you can always get a tan, new haircut etc. I really hate like every part of my face though. It's a really ugly face. :(
uglyashell
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:00 am

Postby Reflect_31 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:59 am

I like my hair colour (henna red), I like the length (shoulder length), I like my blue eyes and pale skin. I never tan but I don't mind. I like my height and I'm happy with my weight now (I am a normal healthy but slim weight now, I previously suffered with anorexia). The only thing I dislike is my face. But sometimes I think I look ok, other times I hate how I look and can't leave the house, and have severe anxiety about going out. I think I have quite a heart shaped face, perhaps slightly angular. Other people say my face isn't angular, but I see it in the mirror and it bothers me.
Reflect_31
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jekyllsan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 am

My hands. I actually like my hands, they are nice and small.
jekyllsan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:00 am

Next

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder Forum