Our partner

How much Prozac to trigger a manic episode?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

How much Prozac to trigger a manic episode?

Postby Sociobid » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 am

Just curious. I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently, and I finally have found the time to ask you guys. In your experiences for those that have taken SSRI's (namely Prozac), how long did it take to trigger a manic episode?
Befriend your inner demons, for they are the true reflection of yourself.
--
Bipolar Disorder Type I
Social Anxiety
General Anxiety

Risperdal 1mg
Lamictal 150mg
Lithium 900 mg
Ativan 1mg (PRN)
Hydroxyzine 10mg (PRN)
Sociobid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How much Prozac to trigger a manic episode?

Postby slither » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:45 am

I've always claimed that SSRIs have had no effect on me, but I can't say this for certain. Before my diagnosis, I did recover from my first major depression at 12, and became kind of a goofy bastard afterwards for the next year or so.

I suspect it may have triggered a hypomanic episode, but I was still depressed for even a month or so after I had stopped prozac since it didn't seem to be working. Maybe they have no effect on me, maybe they have a minor, delayed reaction.

Intentionally triggering an episode is irresponsible and possibly even dangerous, especially if you experience full blown mania and depression, but I totally understand being "just curious", as that is my curse.

I suspect for most it could be a matter of days or weeks, really only the time it takes to be present in the body in sufficient quantities, if that's the reaction they get from antidepressants.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:03 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bettyboop » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 am

On its own prozac made me manic within a couple of days and I stayed manic for months.

How ever I am on Prozac again now along side 250mg of quietapine and I only suffer from hypomania, usually mild. So my prozac combination works fine with the addition of an anti manic.
Bipolar 1 with psychosis
Bettyboop
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 am

Postby keenie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:14 am

Hey!

I'm on prozac and although it lifts me from depression it hasn't sent me into a manic episode, but then I'm also on a high dose of quetiapine that should prevent that happening anyway. My shrink doesn't normally put people with bipolar on anti-depressants because he says it can cause mixed episodes, but there wasn't really anything else I could go on!

Best, keenie
DX: Bipolar Type 1 with psychotic features
Meds: Quetiapine 800mg, Fluoxetine 60mg, Depakote 1500mg, Zopiclone 7.5mg, Diazepam as required.

"Stop the world....I want to get on"
keenie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 am

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:17 pm

I went high on 20mg of fluoxetine but everyone is different. I have also been high on very small doses of sertraline (25mg). It is certainly a difficult balancing act...

Cracked
"You're a tit short of an udder" - Owen Newitt

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:03 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby ShadowTerra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:43 am

CrackedGirl wrote:I went high on 20mg of fluoxetine but everyone is different. I have also been high on very small doses of sertraline (25mg). It is certainly a difficult balancing act...

Cracked

My experiences were similar (I am not diagnosed bipolar, only mood disorder NOS aka kinda-maybe-bipolarish).

I would change within hours of taking a dose. I could not handle more than 50mg of sertraline because it made me extremely angry and impulsive. I was on 50 mg of sertraline for about a year and a half. During that time I lacked a brain-to-mouth filter, was mean/hostile to people I cared about, and my anxiety was much worse. In hindsight it did very little for my actual "depression." When I tried it again about a year later, the minimal dose had me cycling severely from day to day. My therapist at the time wanted me to be evaluated for BP, but what with my *ahem* elevated self-esteem, I essentially decided he could just shove it.

10/20mg of fluoxetine gave me crushing anxiety and an inability to be quiet or sit still, among other things. I also started going very rapidly between my ups and downs. It was terrifying. Just like with the sertraline, it only took hours for strange things to start happening.

I usually post in the avoidant personality forum. Impulsive, hostile, confrontational behavior and cockiness are sooooooo not me.

My experiences with SSRIs were so bizarre that I tried to convince myself that it was just in my imagination (or a placebo effect), but my family noticed too. Unfortunately my doctors and therapists at the time(s) treated me like a hypochondriac because I wasn't able to articulate myself as well back then.

Small amounts of caffeine can mess with me too (the caffeine in a whole cup of coffee will give me a day/night of euphoric feelings or anxiety/paranoia, followed by a few days of suicidal thinking) so I live a caffeine/chocolate-free lifestyle for the most part. It helps a lot. I know for sure it's caffeine that messes with me because I have experienced the same problems when I was unaware I had taken any--when I realized I had, I was relieved because I knew it was just a temporary brain hiccup.

I understand that caffeine withdrawal is hard on anyone (eg, making people groggy and irritable), but I've often wondered if suicidal thinking and hopelessness are normal parts of caffeine withdrawal for other people. Any thoughts?

I was always curious about how long it took in other people. This is a very interesting topic, Sociobid.

Short version: I'm not officially diagnosed bipolar, but my mood can change drastically within hours of taking very low doses of SSRIs.
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' the way that I do
You can call me Pollyanna
Say I'm crazy as a loon
I believe in silver linings
And that's why I believe in you
ShadowTerra
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Postby slither » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 am

ShadowTerra wrote:My experiences with SSRIs were so bizarre that I tried to convince myself that it was just in my imagination (or a placebo effect), but my family noticed too. Unfortunately my doctors and therapists at the time(s) treated me like a hypochondriac because I wasn't able to articulate myself as well back then.

Small amounts of caffeine can mess with me too (the caffeine in a whole cup of coffee will give me a day/night of euphoric feelings or anxiety/paranoia, followed by a few days of suicidal thinking) so I live a caffeine/chocolate-free lifestyle for the most part. It helps a lot. I know for sure it's caffeine that messes with me because I have experienced the same problems when I was unaware I had taken any--when I realized I had, I was relieved because I knew it was just a temporary brain hiccup.

I understand that caffeine withdrawal is hard on anyone (eg, making people groggy and irritable), but I've often wondered if suicidal thinking and hopelessness are normal parts of caffeine withdrawal for other people. Any thoughts?

I was always curious about how long it took in other people. This is a very interesting topic, Sociobid.

Short version: I'm not officially diagnosed bipolar, but my mood can change drastically within hours of taking very low doses of SSRIs.

Thank you for sharing this. I, Too, have had rapid changes in mood and cycling over certain chemicals, just not most, if any of the SSRIs I've been on.

Suicidal thinking is generally not considered normal in most circumstances, definitely not caffeine withdrawal. I think certain life experiences or ways of thinking can leave one prone to having suicidal thoughts though. I used to become semi suicidal as a sort of fallback for when I just couldn't handle the stress at the time--thinking that I have a way out effectively increases my tolerance and ability to cope for short periods, then I tend to fall apart.

While antidepressants had no effect, I did start rapid cycling like mad about an hour after I tried Trazadone for the first time ever. I thought that drug caused it, but I was told it has no effect on people that fast, so I transferred the blame over to the risperidone I had been on for a few days at that time. Seeing as you've had very fast reactions, I'm not so sure now which drug did it.

I also experience a guaranteed hypomanic episode, then a very hard crash, whenever I take too much ambien, which is only twice the prescribed dosage. I did this only to compensate for tolerance after a few weeks of use, but it was a very peculiar side effect. I would get very high for an hour, then cry myself to sleep basically. A number of times I did foolish things while under this drug's influence. The high would only last until the drug was metabolized and gone. Ambien goes in and out of you very fast.

Pain killers, even NSAIDs (Tylenol, Ibuprofen) can also make me hypomanic. In fact, 800mg of Ibuprofen, having never tried it before, was what sent me into a two week hypomanic episode. It was after I was treated for the insomnia and given a psych referral that I started taking the psych drugs, which I have no doubt led to the rapid cycling that caused my attempt.

I don't think I've ever consumed enough caffeine at once to cause withdrawals or that "crash" you hear about all the time with energy drinks.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShadowTerra » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:10 am

slither wrote:Suicidal thinking is generally not considered normal in most circumstances, definitely not caffeine withdrawal. I think certain life experiences or ways of thinking can leave one prone to having suicidal thoughts though. I used to become semi suicidal as a sort of fallback for when I just couldn't handle the stress at the time--thinking that I have a way out effectively increases my tolerance and ability to cope for short periods, then I tend to fall apart.

Good point. I always forget about this. It's definitely my conditioned response to feeling crappy. With more therapy my mind goes there less and less. The weird thing with caffeine is that the day after I have any, I just start feeling hopeless for no reason. Hot cocoa is supposed to be a nice treat, not a surefire way to ruin half my week. :lol:

One can of cola in the morning will keep me up an entire night, or give me patchy sleep. I have a very sensitive system. :evil: It's aggravating and it doesn't even make that much sense. Staying away from caffeinated drinks is fine by me, but staying away from chocolate too (especially cocoa and dark chocolate)... that just hurts my feelings, honestly. It might be the combo of the sugar and caffeine that makes chocolate a no-no in my case, since I know that the amount of caffeine in chocolate isn't that huge.
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' the way that I do
You can call me Pollyanna
Say I'm crazy as a loon
I believe in silver linings
And that's why I believe in you
ShadowTerra
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Postby slither » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am

Maybe you could just spit the chocolate out? Sort of like wine tasting? :lol:

It could be worse...some people are allergic to chocolate. :shock:

One day in class I just randomly blurted out "That would SUCK if you were allergic to chocolate!". Turned out the guy sitting right next to me was. :roll:
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Palsha3 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:57 pm

I don't know about triggering a manic episode with Prozac but years ago right before I was diagnosed bipolar I was put on 50 mg of Prozac. I thought it was working pretty good but after a week I started cycling. I yo-yo'd so fast between depression and mania it was scary and while the mania felt soooo good and i was so happy I was also terrified of how deep i'd fall and how quick.
Palsha3
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post