Our partner

How do you describe racing thoughts?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

Re: How do you describe racing thoughts?

Postby Mighty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 am

How do you make them slow down without drugs??
Mighty
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Introver-ted » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am

jim35 wrote:
jim35 wrote:About finding connections, might that be what's meant by "flight of ideas?"

I'm not sure. They seem to be very fast logical connections with me. "This means that, that leads to that, which is why that is" and so on and so on.

Eureka moments maybe, but they only really make sense at the time. They don't last and they mean nothing when it's passed. Very transient and I can never remember my train of thought afterwards.

Anybody else get this?

Its called apophenia seeing patterns and connections between random things with the "oh its so obvious" feeling, i get it when im high. My mind speeds up until everything becomes interconnected through what i call a thought process of bi-lateral-abstract-association.
I do not understand the gestural prototheatre of everyday life.
Introver-ted
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Postby f mae » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 am

Somehow I came across this recently:

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/ ... _1_187.jpg

It was a comic book I read way back when I was a kid. My favorite character. In this particular comic Daredevil's senses go haywire and he becomes vulnerable to sound. An accident a couple of years ago made me especially vulnerable to certain frequencies and harmonics. But said cover can also be applied to how I feel about racing thoughts, since I am now at the age where my physical self is at peak efficiency, yet, my mind is so vulnerable, just like that image. Strangely, as a kid I had some clue to this all happening to me one day, and here I am.
"That evil face of God hates me like the rest."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqIukSoYmT8
f mae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Postby song7 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Racing thoughts is like going on a journey of ideas in a matter of seconds. Songs just pop up in your head, followed by screams, dialogues with yourself, past events that overwhelm you, this and that, that and this, nothing at all. It's a torture, that I tell you. The voice inside your head won't shut up, and the worst part is that you can't understand a thing of what it's trying to tell you.
Today has been the worst day of my life relating to racing thoughts. I was on medication for a few months, and suddenly stopped them because of mixing with alcohol (apparently, I've an alcohol problem now, too), man, it's so bad, it's so bad. You try to sleep. Nope, your mind's too active for that. You try to take a walk to calm it- nope, it just gets worse. You try to eat but can't even taste the food much because your mind is simply somewhere else, simply not present in the moment.

So you end up apologizing for something that you had no control of, but your mind is telling you that you're guilty. Yeah, you're guilty for everything, nobody else is to blame, it's all your fault, you're the burden. STOP. SHUT UP.

It's so hard.

This post is racing thoughts.
song7
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56 am

Postby MakeItStop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 am

The worst case of racing thoughts I had was so bad the only way I could describe it was that there was a black cloud in my head where all my thoughts were being jumbled and I couldn't pick any one thought out, when I'd close my eyes I would twitch and it was almost like there was a flashlight being turned on and off in my mind behind my eyes. I couldn't even tell you what I was even thinking about at the time, I'm sure there were a million thoughts at the time. Very scary. I couldn't sleep to get away from it and I felt like I was going insane and just wanted to be sedated.
Dx: Bipolar II Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
Rx: Pristiq 150mg & Sodium Valproate 100mg
MakeItStop
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Nine » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:51 am

Today I felt like I was on a hamster wheel and it was going faster and faster and I was trapped getting no where as it sped up and sped up. I just wanted a break. To get off the @&$# wheel.

I often feel like I'm being forced to run a marathon against my will.

MakeItStop - I like the black cloud analogy. I know what that is like ... everything is jumbled but there is just too much of it. And I see that electric/lightning thing behind my eye lids too. I thought I was the only person
ImageImageImage
Nine
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Postby MakeItStop » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:32 am

It's almost like trying to reach into muddied water to find something that you can't see.

Phew, here I was thinking I was the only one with an electrical storm going on inside my head :)
Dx: Bipolar II Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder
Rx: Pristiq 150mg & Sodium Valproate 100mg
MakeItStop
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Nine » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Like you are changing the station on a radio and fragments of songs and news clips come in and out of focus, completely unrelated to each other.
ImageImageImage
Nine
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Postby TweekedOut » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Mighty wrote:How do you make them slow down without drugs??

I know I'm just not strong enough to stop my mind from racing without medication. Otherwise, I don't sleep and I can't get anything done. I'm interested in hearing how others have battled it without meds, though.
TweekedOut
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Postby Gamer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 am

^^^ My hypomanic episodes can sometimes be a bit frightening and I wonder if they came close to manic territory at times. Honestly, if someone knows of a technique to calm them without medicaiton, I'm all ears.
DX: Bipolar II.
Gamer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post