Our partner

Newly diagnosed & Have questions

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Newly diagnosed & Have questions

Postby melimelvelez » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:11 am

I went in for my intake and they told me I'd see the psych on Friday,what can I expect on my 1st appt. What meds do you think they'd prescribe?I lost here don't know what to expect and thats the worst for me the not knowing.I like to be in control and not having any control over this is making me very anxious.
melimelvelez
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Newly diagnosed & Have questions

Postby Infinite_Jester » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Melimelvelez, Welcome to the forum!

Your question is incredible hard to answer because the medication your Psychiatrist prescribes really depends on the symptoms you present, whats going on with you and your medical history. So I can't really help you there. However, here are some things that can really help.

i) Document your mood everyday so your Psychiatrist knows precisely what type of mood disturbances your having.
ii) If you've taken Psychiatric medications in the past write down which you've taken and what your response was to each then present this to your doctor so that he/she has an idea of what works for you.
iii) Ask questions and ask where you can get more information if you're bamboozled about what your Psychiatrist is talking about
iv) Ask your Psychiatrist what they recommend in addition to medication.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck and don't be nervous just focus on what you stand to gain from getting help.
Infinite_Jester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Koshka69 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Melimelvelez,
Welcome! When you mention you went to "intake" were you referring to having been admitted to the hospital, or just into a care program?

The first appt with your psych is usually info-gathering. They'll ask you to detail your physical and mental history, describe what's been giving you problems, then they'll go from there. Usually they'll prescribe a med if they think there's one that might help that they'd like you to try.

Agree with Infinite_Jester... try to be as clear and descriptive about how you're feeling as possible (ie- say precise things like "My mind races at night and it makes it hard for me to fall asleep" as opposed to saying something more general like "I just can't sleep") This will help the psych figure out what, if any, MH issue you're exhibiting symptoms of.

Try to not worry about the unknown... the first appointment is usually the doc just trying to have you clarify to him/her what's going on and how they can help you.

Please feel free to post here as much as you like.

Crossing my fingers for you,
Hugs,
Kosh
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
Koshka69
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby CrackedGirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi and welcome

I agree this will be an info gathering process as well as wanting to figure out how to help you so be as honest and clear as possible about things. As for meds it varies with diagnosis, symptoms, who you are, what your Dr thinks is good and many other things so it is difficult to advise you on that. But please try to relax about it and let us know how you go.

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)