Our partner

Bipolar VS. Empath

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

Bipolar VS. Empath

Postby Mellowdraw » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:51 pm

I am both Bipolar and an Empath. Recently my mind has been RACING (I'm sure some you can relate...) and its been focused on one question.

Is being Bipolar and an Empath the same thing?

If you have never heard of an Empath, look up "Traits of an Empath" on Google and see if you relate.

They share MANY of the same traits - mood swings, depression, mania, insomnia and in severe cases delusions and hallucinations.

Could being highly empathic and socially sensitive be the truth behind bipolar disorder?

Below is an interesting blog on empathy and bipolar, if you're curious.

http://bipolarmystic.wordpress.com/2010 ... intuitive- empathy-an-explanation-for-some-bipolar-individuals/

If anyone has any information or opinion on this I'd LOVE to hear it. I would also be curious to know if you're 1) Bipolar 2) An Empath.

Thanks. (This is my first post ever so If I did anything wrong lets not all freak out..)
Mellowdraw
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Bipolar VS. Empath

Postby Dark_in_the_Light » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Some people won't like me for demystifying the psychic and spiritual aspects of this, but I do believe some people have a heightened awareness of their environment and the people in it through one or more of their senses. Just like an autistic person who can't stand the awful feeling of freshly cut hair falling back on his neck, there are other people who have an extremely acute awareness through sight or hearing. They notice someone's pupils reacting when certain words come up in a conversation, put two and two together, and seem to be reading the person's mind when they lead the conversation in some direction. Some such people are aware of their gift and put on remarkable shows billing themselves as psychic. I suspect higher than usual compassion combined with a heightened ability to detect subtle behavioral cues that indicate another's mood could make someone fit the bill for an empath.
"As a painter, I will never amount to anything important. I am absolutely sure of it." -- Vincent Van Gogh
Dark_in_the_Light
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:14 am
Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Mellowdraw » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I completely agree with you, I don't believe theres any spiritual connection or magic behind it.

Empaths are just people with highly tuned social senses and awareness.

I realize that the link leads to a slightly out-there webpage, but it was one of the few articles I could find connecting empathy and bipolar.

Below is a link to a website talking about the traits of an empath, nothing to do with magic or whatever.

http://healing.about.com/cs/empathic/a/ ... traits.htm
Mellowdraw
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mortifis » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:04 am

Being an empath is one of the most, if not the most, difficult statesof awareness any life form can deal with. Humans are not the only empaths, but only humans can articulate and understand what is happening. While people suffering with bipolar disorder are among the most affected group of people 'gifted' or 'tormented' with true emapthy, they are not the only, however, they are the most gifted. I have heard from many, usually younger people, that being an empath is having a heightened awareness of various visual or acoustic ques ... that is all fine and dandy. how does that account for 'out of sight, out of mind' connections? One characertistic phonomone with any self-aware empath is the buzzing in the ear. Do you hear a buzzing in your ear? Have you attuned that buzzing to a paticular person? Are you beyong line-of-vision emapathics? Okay, so, I was driving down the freeway one day and a car past me, someone I had never seen or knew existed, and at a glance I a picture with sounds, sights and imagry .. so I accepted it and kept going .. 100 miles away I pulled into a fuel stop and I see that person inside at the convienent store check out .. I said "Hey, did you enjoy your Thanksgiving Day weekend?" she said "yes, short of" so I said "let me guess, you drove 350 miles last wednesday to go spend the holiday with your family, stayed the the weekend. Your mother got up early this moringing and did your laundry while your father cautioned you about the facts of life ... you spent the weekend worrying that your boyfriend was cheating on you with your college roomate?" she answered "how'd you know that?" My point is, friends ... being an empath is more than you realize and I hope you understand what you have, hone what you have, not for you but for them .. because .. it is a gift and you need to respect peoples boundries ... the gift is there for you to help people through their difficult feelings ....

Most people will call you a nut job, so don't expose yourself .. you can't read minds, you can only sense emotions and extrapolate thought and motive ...

Fine, dismiss me, most do .. :-P
Mortifis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 am

Postby Infinite_Jester » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:44 am

Hey Mellowdraw,

I always like it when people point out the positive aspects of Bipolar Disorder. It really makes me feel warm and fuzzy however, I'm really sceptical about whether or not empathy has any real causal relationship with the mood disturbances typical of Bipolar Disorder.

To even entertain the idea that the mood disturbances typical of Bipolar Disorder might be as a result of a heightened sense of empathy we would first have to establish that (1) persons with Bipolar Disorder are more empathitic than their cohort and (2) empathy causes mood disturbances.

If we ignore the fact that there is no operational definition of empathy nor is their any real way of measuring it, it seems that (1) is doubtful. The claim that persons with Bipolar Disorder are more empathitic than other people seems doubtful. Instead, it seems that because persons with Bipolar Disorder experience some really horrible $#%^ and suffer quite a bit that they become more empathitic (even this is contentious). Also, (2) seems to be misleading. The mood disturbances typical of persons with Bipolar Disorder far exceed what we would normally recognize as coming as a result of empathizing with someone else's suffering and they occur even when someone is not empathizing with someone else.

It seems that the relationship goes from Bipolar Disorder to empathy not the other way around (this is a pet theory). For example, having spent a while in state hospitals I got to met people who were very unwell and came from very horrible backgrounds. From this I've always been sympathetic to people who are suffering in a way that maybe other people don't share. Also, it's doubtful that people who have not experienced mania or major depression could really (again this is contentious) empathize with Bipolar Disorder. This is one of the reasons why support groups seem to work well.

Maybe I'm overevaluating some of your claims... To be fair I don't even really know what you mean by empath. I'm just assuming you mean a person with a heightened sense of empathy. Anyways, take care and thanks for a really interesting post.

-Jester
Infinite_Jester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Moses » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:52 pm

From what I have read on-line from other bi-polars, most are not empathic. In fact, they are the opposite. They are usually so wrapped up in their own problems they are not very aware of what is going on around them. This is not a criticism, it's just a fact. A lot of bipolars suffer more severely than you do apparently, from depression especially. I find it slightly amusing that people would go on-line and claim to be gifted in one way or another, almost like they want people to bow down to them. I find this typical of bipolars in the manic phase. Again not really a criticism, just an observation.
Moses
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 am

Postby Trenus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Moses wrote:From what I have read on-line from other bi-polars, most are not empathic. In fact, they are the opposite. They are usually so wrapped up in their own problems they are not very aware of what is going on around them. This is not a criticism, it's just a fact. A lot of bipolars suffer more severely than you do apparently, from depression especially. I find it slightly amusing that people would go on-line and claim to be gifted in one way or another, almost like they want people to bow down to them. I find this typical of bipolars in the manic phase. Again not really a criticism, just an observation.

I agree with you.

When I totally sunk into depression I have little or no awareness of what sorrounds me and couldn't care less. What I feel is already too much to handle and I isolate myself from everything. When manic I am so focused in my own ego and greatness that I have no empathy for others whatsoever, I am totally allienated from others feelings. Things only get my atention when I see something fit of a challenge.

I have Bipolar I rapid-cycling and PTSD.
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike
Trenus
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ricly8 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Mellowdraw,

Thank you for sharing. I'm not sure i'm bipolar or empath. I don't deny I have symptoms of empath and also bipolar.. However, my bipolar only react when I'm attacked by pools of emotions and ability to feel people thoughts especially people I care too much and love. I hate this! I have been harden my heart until like rock where I don't feel people pain as mine despite I know it! That how I survive until today by sealing my heart.

I need to know how you control your ability at the same time stopping from hurting yourself. Please guide me. If possible taking away this ability would be better. It has ruin all my relationship knowing people thoughts and its hurt so much like a knife stabbing your heart everytime you feel it.

Please advise. Thank you.
ricly8
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post