Our partner

Is it common for bipolar people to overreact alot?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Cheze2, Oliveira

Is it common for bipolar people to overreact alot?

Postby b28 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:30 am

Is it common for ppl with bp disorder to overreact/get mad/ or yell about everything at times? My husband is like this but it seems to be really bad sometimes. He's not diagnosed but I really wonder if he is bp sometimes.
b28
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it common for bipolar people to overreact alot?

Postby Living Well » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 am

there could be a range of explanations for the cause of his behaviour; but essential it comes down to the fact that he is not managing something that is his responsibility to manage.

Personally I would treat it as domestic abuse and let him figure out what it is he needs to change and why. He needs to get himself to a doctor and therapist for assessment and treatment. You deserve to be treated respectful by him at all times, just as he deserves to be treated respectfully by you at all times. Draw the line on what behaviours you are not prepared to accept and tell him what the consequences are if he crosses the line. Enforce the consequences if he crosses the line, quickly and clearly. Domestic abuse is harmful on the entire family. Most people find they need some form of counselling and coping skills refreshment.

Not every person with bipolar behaves poorly and not every person who behaves poorly has bipolar. Mood disorders (bipolar etc) are a biological issue with the brain's chemistry affecting mood. Personality disorders are a psychological issue that impact on mood. Often people who behave badly have neither; they just do because they can. Furthermore people with mood and personality disorders can be quite insightful people who are very committed to managing their conditions and choosing positive behaviours despite bad moods.

if your husband is bipolar and not prepared to manage his illness - run a mile. Bipolars who don't take responsibility for their behaviour ruin their own lives and those of the people around them.
Living Well
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 am
Blog: View Blog (44)

Postby Chubbles » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:47 pm

I think so. My mom's bipolar. She gets really pissy sometimes for what my dad and I feel are like no reason. She also randomly cries. It's cute though, I mean, it's just who she is. One time she was talking to my boyfriend about like, something silly, and started crying. She said, "just ignore me crying. It just happens. I'm fine." She's so sweet. lol
Chubbles
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Postby babygirl 86 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:16 am

i have days were im fine and can old back. and other days im very snappy all through the day. usally when more so when im falling into a low or are very tiedwitch that causes me to as well have a low or be stroppy and irratable and irrotated and adjatated.
babygirl 86
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am
Blog: View Blog (30)

Postby b28 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

I should have mentioned that I'm bipolar 2 myself and I'm there are days when I overreact and don't tolerate things very well. I don't really realize it but my husband says he notices.My husband is so much worse and I get soooo tired of it and when he's having really bad days like that he won't listen to me at all when I ask/tell him to calm down and chill out and it not that big of a deal. I have brought up several times here and there that I think he might be BP but he's sure he doesn't and usually get's defensive. There are a few days here and there that he said he feels really down and feels like crying but blames it on the stress of his job. And I'm thinking- ok this is a huge symptom of BP but it's not the right time to bring that up. I have to find just the right times to bring it up. Then there are days when in my opionion he is really hyper and I can't stand it.
b28
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Postby the owls » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:46 pm

I think pretty much any MI can cause anger issues or inappropriate emotional response. Substance abuse also can cause that. Also, you can be cranky and angry all of the time without any mental illness.
dx: borderline pd. bipolar. anxiety. ptsd (mostly in remission).
rx: 200 mg seroquel 15 mg remeron 300 mg wellbutrin. still searching for the right cocktail.

+++

Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.
- Rainer Maria Rilke
the owls
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Postby babygirl 86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:17 am

the owls

lol i like that one angery and cranky with out being mentally ill.
babygirl 86
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am
Blog: View Blog (30)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post