Our partner

Is my boyfriend bipolar?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

Is my boyfriend bipolar?

Postby miia910 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:29 pm

My boyfriend has had always had anger issues, but it seems the longer we're together the more out of control it gets. He'll flip out on me for the smallest things, or twist my words around to try and find something wrong with what I've said, and get angry about it. He yells at me and then will find something to say to get under my skin - something that could be totally unrelated to our argument - just to hurt my feelings.

I know his anger is an issue, but the way he is so easily set off worries me. Sometimes he'll call me and be in a great mood, chatting and making jokes, and other times when I talk to him he's quiet and withdrawn, says he doesn't feel like talking and gives me one-word answers, seemingly unprovoked. I wouldn't say he's overly depressed or what could be described as "manic," but he does get on these kicks where he makes all these plans for himself - but that's all they are, all plans and never any action.

It just seems strange to me that he has these extreme mood swings and anger issues, but I don't know if that's all they are or if he may have some bipolar tendencies?
miia910
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:13 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is my boyfriend bipolar?

Postby Psycho_sis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:45 pm

Hmmm possibly. Hard to say without knowing him but I think we all make plans and dont achieve them but bipolars will carry out the plan and thats the difference, even if the goal is out of reach they will engage.
Psycho_sis
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Moses » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

It sounds a lot like DBS syndrome to me. That's short for the Latin "Douche Bag Syndrome". However, he may be bipolar and if what you say is accurate then he should get checked out. I have to think though if I yelled at my wife I doubt she would be my wife much longer. This actually works quite well as a deterrent, as I am bipolar. The problem occurs when you think he has a problem and should go to a psychiatrist and he doesn't think he has any problem. He is the one who should be on the web asking the question. He sees no problem with his behaviour, therefore you cannot force him to a doctor. Unless he physically harms you or himself I don't think you can make him go see a doctor. It would be a subject to broach sometime after a nice meal when he feels good and is relaxed, and you can see how he reacts to the idea.
Moses
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Postby miia910 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the responses. He definitely has some DBS tendencies, haha. I know, why do I stay with him...because the good is great and we've been together a long time, it's just so hard to handle his outbursts. He's never hurt me physically nor do I think he would, he's just a master at emotionally manipulating me...
miia910
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post