Our partner

What are good supplements for bi polar? Please Help.

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

What are good supplements for bi polar? Please Help.

Postby steveno654321 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:43 pm

I have been diagnosed with bi polar and I have tried almost every bi polar medication out there and the side effects made me quit every single one of them. I took like 8 bi polar medications and they all made me sleep too much or they just did not work. I currently take fish oil, a multi vitamin, and vitamin D.I have been told to take vitamin D for sore joints, but I have also heard it is good for depression and I have had low vitamin D levels in my past.

I think the fish oil helps decrease the amount of days when I clycle into the lows of depression from bi polar but I still have days when the depression is intense. It seems to cycle around 1-2 days a week for depression from the bi polar and 5 days when I am normal, this is on average I would guess. Some days I can cycle for a few hours into depression from bi polar then a few hours later feel normal. The intensity, frequency, and duration of the depression from the bi polar are not there as much from the help from the fish oil in my opinion.There may be help from the vitamin D and multi vitamin for the lows in depression from the bi polar, but my gut is telling me the help is from the fish oil.

I have heard of the supplement EMPowerplus from someone else off of this forum for bi polar has anyone taken it, and if so how did it work?

In closing I am still having these low days and times of depression from bi polar and none of the medications I tried worked.I know these supplements are no cure by any means but they help.Got any ideas on any other supplements/herbs/all natural products or absolutely anything else that may help me?

QUESTIONS:
1. What are some supplements or herbs to take that might help?
2.Any spiritual or other type therapies that's might help?
3. Reviews or other important information about EMPowerplus.
4. Answer any other questions I forgot to list here.
5. Anything else you feel would be important information for me.

Thank You very much,

-Steven
steveno654321
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What are good supplements for bi polar? Please Help.

Postby jasmin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi, Steven! I'm sorry your meds didn't work. Working out regularly and going out a bit, socializing in any way that I can and feeling needed seems to help me a little. You could ask your doc where to find a therapist to help with this too. I'm not entirely sure I have bipolar, but I do get highs and lows, especially during the winter. Let's home someone who knows more about supplements will show up.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

Postby manic666 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:59 pm

You seem to be takeing the supplements you need, is that omega fish oil you take thats the best. None are going to help your illness ,just give a little relief to a run down body im afraid. :|
manic666
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hope7951 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Good supplements are just that, supplemental to meds, therapy and on-going care care that includes exercise, good diet, regular sleep and a de-stressed balanced life made up of 1/3 sleep, 1/3 challenge and 1/3 relaxation. That being said, vitamin d is essential and there is a epidemic in the northern US of especially women who avoid the sun and dairy and not only have a defficiency causing mood swing,depression, irratability but also as you must have calcium too - eating away their bones. So vitamin D, calcium, B-12, omega-3 all increase your physical health which will increase your entire wellbeing.
hope7951
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:48 am

Postby BeautifulMind » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Hey I am new to the boards...but as a dude I have found that Creatine is pretty good also. A few new studies have indicated this as well.

http://bipolar.about.com/b/2010/12/06/e ... tments.htm
BeautifulMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 am

Postby manic666 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 am

BeautifulMind wrote:Hey I am new to the boards...but as a dude I have found that Creatine is pretty good also. A few new studies have indicated this as well.

CREATINE makes you retain water in your body, you may feel a boost, but you look twice as fat. not a good look. :( :(
manic666
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby agirlbyanyothername » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 am

manic666 wrote:
BeautifulMind wrote:Hey I am new to the boards...but as a dude I have found that Creatine is pretty good also. A few new studies have indicated this as well.

CREATINE makes you retain water in your body, you may feel a boost, but you look twice as fat. not a good look. :( :(

I remember using creatine when I was weightlifting and while it does cause you to retain water, it's not so much to make you look "twice as fat."
agirlbyanyothername
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby manic666 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:43 pm

agirlbyanyothername wrote:
manic666 wrote:

I remember using creatine when I was weightlifting and while it does cause you to retain water, it's not so much to make you look "twice as fat."

it was a joke, :roll: but ocourse it makes you look fat, if you retain water your going to be fatter
manic666
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BeautifulMind » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 am

I think you retain water in your muscles, so you should look better. It's pretty safe, energetic, and I think it has beneficial benefits on my mind as well...

But that is why I said 'as a dude'...most women don't want to retain water!
BeautifulMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 am

Postby potato » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Null
Last edited by potato on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potato
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post