Our partner

rocking backwards and forwards

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

rocking backwards and forwards

Postby mickeymoo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 am

does anyone do this?Is it an ocd or just a comfort thing?
mickeymoo
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby mbtomorrow » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:54 am

Hey Mickey,
To me it is definitely a comfort thing. I often rock back and forth sitting in my chair, standing against a wall and I'm also a leg jigglier. It's not an odc, in my opinion, because you understand why you do it and can stop without thinking their will be drastic consequences for your doing so. In one of my psych classes my prof referred to odc's as magic illness because there are sometimes no logical connection in between the obsession (thought) and the compulsion (action). Good luck and take care

,mb
mbtomorrow
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:10 am
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby SmileXx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

I rock backwards and forwards when I cry.
I also can't stand without swaying side to side.

If I'm laying down I try to rock too...
I thought that was just a me thing.
Is it really a bipoalr trait?
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.


Da Rulz
User avatar
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby maddogmaddy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:45 am

I rock. A lot. I've always chalked it up to "nervous energy".....I tap my foot, fingers, pencil, so on and so forth...
Dx: Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type, Rapid Cycling
Fiance
Mother of three
Electrical Maintenance Student
Homemaker


Country music singin, cowboy boot wearin red-headed midwestern sweetheart <3
User avatar
maddogmaddy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby Moses » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:47 pm

I used to rack in a rocking chair when I was a kid, and also swing a lot. I still rock a lot in my recliner when I get a little nervous. I kind of lose knowledge of where I am when doing this and tend to daydream off somewhere far away. My oldest daughter swings for hours so I think she inherited it from me. For me I think it is just a comfort thing, kind of a temporary escape from real life. I did this long before I was ever diagnosed bipolar and started on meds.
User avatar
Moses
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:28 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby Nev3rland » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 am

I guess it's okay as long as you don't feel too uncomfortable when stopped. If you can't think/talk/behave properly without having to rock, then it's probably time to talk about it.

SmileXx wrote:I rock backwards and forwards when I cry.
I also can't stand without swaying side to side.

If I'm laying down I try to rock too...
I thought that was just a me thing.
Is it really a bipoalr trait?


I know that some old anti-depressant drugs tend to make people do that.. if it only happens after you started taking your meds then you should probably talk to your psychiatrist about it.. it might be just a small overdose
You think I'm lost, but I'm not. I get lost at the place where you call 'home'.
Nev3rland
Consumer 3
Consumer 3
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:05 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby SmileXx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Nev3rland wrote:
SmileXx wrote:I rock backwards and forwards when I cry.
I also can't stand without swaying side to side.

If I'm laying down I try to rock too...
I thought that was just a me thing.
Is it really a bipoalr trait?


I know that some old anti-depressant drugs tend to make people do that.. if it only happens after you started taking your meds then you should probably talk to your psychiatrist about it.. it might be just a small overdose


Nah, I've been a rocker since I was born according to my mother.
It's just what I've always done. Never been able to stand still for long periods of time.
I'm sure it's an untreated circulatory problem or something.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.


Da Rulz
User avatar
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby crazymonkey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm a fidgeter. Toe tapping, leg jiggling, etc. I think a lot of people do something for comfort or out of just plain habit. I have three kids- one rolls his head, one sucks his thumb, and the third is just plain ants in her pants. None are babies. The oldest who rolls his head is almost 17. Its human nature.
User avatar
crazymonkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby SmileXx » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 pm

My sister's 21...
She still sucks her thumb...
And sleeps with a blanket...
Well... when she was like 13 she started sleeping with shirts instead of an actual safety blanket...
To avoid ridicule...
Which I continued to give anyway...
Because, as Daddy dearest taught us from a young age... it builds character...

My family was a little messed up.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.


Da Rulz
User avatar
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 5056
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: rocking backwards and forwards

Postby maddogmaddy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 am

SmileXx wrote:My sister's 21...
She still sucks her thumb...
And sleeps with a blanket...
Well... when she was like 13 she started sleeping with shirts instead of an actual safety blanket...
To avoid ridicule...
Which I continued to give anyway...
Because, as Daddy dearest taught us from a young age... it builds character...

My family was a little messed up.



Wow. Sounds like my dad....well, and kinda sounds like me... we're both a little "off" like that.
Dx: Schizoaffective - Bipolar Type, Rapid Cycling
Fiance
Mother of three
Electrical Maintenance Student
Homemaker


Country music singin, cowboy boot wearin red-headed midwestern sweetheart <3
User avatar
maddogmaddy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm
Local time: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:28 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aeiouaeiou, Kamia, MikeHooty, MrNobody45, njohns321, Son and 107 guests

cron