Our partner

Geodon? (Ziprasidone)

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Geodon? (Ziprasidone)

Postby Rev678 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Starting Geodon tomorrow.
Anything I should know?

Was on Abilify for two weeks.
Mood was good, but I got these wicked hot flashes that made living pretty much intolerable at all times.
So... I quit that.
DX~ BP1, ASPD, Narc Traits, Depersonalized AF, and former Bulimic.

Meds~ Currently Unmedicated
Rev678
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Geodon? (Ziprasidone)

Postby David1999 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 am

It has all the side effects typical to AAPs (constipation, increased appetite, sedation) but is one of the (much ) more milder ones (like Latuda and Abilify). The hot flush is likely only specific to Abilify for you.
Don't be afraid to ask for a mood stabiliser that manages depression (like I did after being put on Abilify monotherapy). Don't be put off lithium because of the (very infrequent) blood tests - it's a very soft drug with very few side effects. Lamictal rash is also very rare - especially if the dose is built up slowly. You have the right to have both sides of your illness treated - not just mania.
Unmedicated perfection.
David1999
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:47 am

Postby Rev678 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 pm

David1999 wrote:Don't be afraid to ask for a mood stabiliser that manages depression (like I did after being put on Abilify monotherapy). Don't be put off lithium because of the (very infrequent) blood tests - it's a very soft drug with very few side effects. Lamictal rash is also very rare - especially if the dose is built up slowly. You have the right to have both sides of your illness treated - not just mania.

I'm only in this for a mood stabilizer that treats depression. I don't mind my mania. My shrink knows this... and that if I find anything sedative I'm gonna stop taking it. I tell my shrink how to treat my illness... But I'm also on Kaiser, so they don't carry Latuda. I was on Abilify as it was the closest thing they had to Latuda... and I guess this is the next closest. I don't mind the mania being toned down, but my ONLY concern is my depression. If this fails to treat my depression, I'll quit taking it and demand something else or just go back to trying to deal without meds.

I refuse to take Lithium. My dad too Lithium, and it was like he turned into a zombie.
I'm not about that zombie life.

I took Lamictal. It was essentially a sugar pill. Didn't effect either side of my moods.

Rev678
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Rev678 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm

Okay so Geodon sucks.
Tried to knock my ass out.
Struggling to stay awake at work right now.
Can't leave for 45 mins at least.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rev678
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby z7z » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Might also try Paliperidone (Invega). It is similar to Risperidone (Risperdal).
Seroquel is also a popular one.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:47 pm

Postby Jellybeanery » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Invega has some gnarly side effects though- increased prolactin, breast growth in men, breast leakage, weight gain, etc. I had a majority of the side effects from it and got taken off of it. One year later and I'm still having effects from it. :x If you're concerned about side effects, I would stay away from this one (and Risperidone, they have the same effects).
Bipolar I | GAD
Lamotrigine - 400 mg | Clonazepam - 1 mg

Jellybeanery
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby z7z » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:26 am

Jellybeanery wrote:Invega has some gnarly side effects though- increased prolactin, breast growth in men, breast leakage, weight gain, etc. I had a majority of the side effects from it and got taken off of it. One year later and I'm still having effects from it. :x If you're concerned about side effects, I would stay away from this one (and Risperidone, they have the same effects).

I think I remember reading most people don't show side effects. Everyone is different. Latuda and Lamictal sound good but you're not supposed to drink alcohol which would not work for me personally.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Jellybeanery » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 am

z7z wrote:I think I remember reading most people don't show side effects. Everyone is different. Latuda and Lamictal sound good but you're not supposed to drink alcohol which would not work for me personally.

I drink alcohol all the time and I'm not dead, so I think it's fine. 8)
Bipolar I | GAD
Lamotrigine - 400 mg | Clonazepam - 1 mg

Jellybeanery
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bipolar123 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 am

Lamictal is good for me. Just had an increase. Did have hot flashes and nausea, but it went away. No weight change.
bipolar123
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:47 am

Postby Rev678 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:02 pm

z7z wrote:Might also try Paliperidone (Invega). It is similar to Risperidone (Risperdal).
Seroquel is also a popular one.

Risperidone gave me horrific nightmares a few years ago... but I'll remember the other two if this doesn't work out.

Jellybeanery wrote:Invega has some gnarly side effects though- increased prolactin, breast growth in men, breast leakage, weight gain, etc. I had a majority of the side effects from it and got taken off of it. One year later and I'm still having effects from it. :x If you're concerned about side effects, I would stay away from this one (and Risperidone, they have the same effects).

Okay, maybe not Invega...

z7z wrote:I think I remember reading most people don't show side effects. Everyone is different. Latuda and Lamictal sound good but you're not supposed to drink alcohol which would not work for me personally.

My old shrink wanted me on Latuda, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I had to get a new Kaiser shrink to prescribe me stuff Kaiser will cover...

bipolar123 wrote:Lamictal is good for me. Just had an increase. Did have hot flashes and nausea, but it went away. No weight change.

Lamictal was the first drug I ever took, and it was essentially a sugar pill... didn't do anything for me at all. Lol.

Rev678
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post