Our partner

identifing triggers

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: quietgirl2538, Ennui

identifing triggers

Postby maskedsanity » Thu May 11, 2017 2:03 pm

From me my triggers are: stress, toxic family members, toxic people in general, being abused and used, pressured, being harassed, being dumped on, etc.
maskedsanity
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: identifing triggers

Postby Jellybeanery » Thu May 11, 2017 6:09 pm

My weight makes me depressed, people on FB (or people in general) piss me off, and I haven't noticed anything making me manic, I think that just happens whenever it wants, which unfortunately, isn't as often as I would like it to. If I knew what triggered it, I'd always be manic :lol:
Bipolar I
Lamotrigine - 200mg, Latuda - 40mg, Clonazepam - 0.5mg

J'ai une âme solitaire.
Jellybeanery
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ennui » Fri May 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I think most of my triggers could generally come under the umbrella of 'stress' but they usually have to be from more than one source.

For example, when I was younger, my episodes (mainly manic/mixed ones) tended to be triggered by exam time combined with my difficult family situation, which became worse in the holidays when my dad came home from his job abroad. My latest round of mixed episodes was triggered by doing an extremely stressful course and close family bereavement at the same time.

Other times, episodes can seem to come out of the blue, or for more 'biological' reasons. For instance, reducing medication can cause them, or, especially in the case of depression, they can be in reaction to or after a manic/mixed episode.
'Un ennui...' (Mallarmé)

'Perseverance is power' (Japanese proverb)

'All the world's a stage,/And all the men and women merely players'

Diagnoses: Bipolar affective disorder, GAD

Medications: 800mg Tegretol XR, 200mg Seroquel XR, 10mg Zyprexa
Ennui
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby IntellectualCat » Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 pm

While I'm diagnosed with major depression, I think bipolar may fit better. My therapist has been helping me find triggers for my periods of high energy, and I find that they are typical of triggers for mania.

I find that one trigger is sleep deprivation, which makes me cycle more rapidly and makes my moods more intense. My highs are also triggered by sleep disruption, which I only figured out when I starting using a sleep tracker. They are also triggered by time zone changes and changes in seasons. While only longer days trigger me, it might be because of the latitude I live in. When my father lived in the Northern US, he experienced subclinical depression every winter that resolved when he moved back to the Southwest, so I wouldn't be surprised if winter would trigger depression if I ever go to that region during that season.

Also, caffeine sometimes triggers my highs. The problem is that I will sometimes drink coffee to deliberately trigger one, which only makes my moods harder to cope with.

I have recently been looking into stress being trigger. My therapist suggested that, and I think that being put under pressure may be another trigger. It is actually kind of adaptive, considering that I become more productive and need less sleep during my highs, except the consequences extend beyond the duration of time I needed to boost my performance.
Dx: Autism, ADHD, social anxiety disorder, GAD, major depressive disorder
Suspecting: Bipolar II
Supporter of the neurodiversity movement
My blog about neurodiversity
IntellectualCat
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Postby Oliveira » Sat May 20, 2017 9:01 am

Jellybeanery wrote:I'd always be manic :lol:

I am going to assume you mean hypomanic...

For me stress mostly. But mostly things just happen for no reason. A friend told me sometimes there are delayed triggers, like, something happens on Monday and the mood swing on Friday. But unless I write down EVERYTHING that happens in my life and then roll the dice to figure out which particular thing caused the mood swing, I am very unlikely to figure it out.

I have planned, finally, a trip to a country I wanted to visit for YEARS. And it was difficult because there are three of us going and one was unavailable so I stressed for hours trying to figure out which plane ticket he wants (hand luggage only or full service, with, of course, different prices), refreshing the page with accomodation I wanted to rent to see if it's been snatched yet or not. A day later two weeks of mania started. So I will assume that was the trigger. But was it really? I have been stressed most of last week and nothing has changed.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 am

Postby eterea107 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:27 am

Oliveira wrote:
Jellybeanery wrote:I'd always be manic :lol:

I am going to assume you mean hypomanic...

For me stress mostly. But mostly things just happen for no reason. A friend told me sometimes there are delayed triggers, like, something happens on Monday and the mood swing on Friday. But unless I write down EVERYTHING that happens in my life and then roll the dice to figure out which particular thing caused the mood swing, I am very unlikely to figure it out.

I have planned, finally, a trip to a country I wanted to visit for YEARS. And it was difficult because there are three of us going and one was unavailable so I stressed for hours trying to figure out which plane ticket he wants (hand luggage only or full service, with, of course, different prices), refreshing the page with accomodation I wanted to rent to see if it's been snatched yet or not. A day later two weeks of mania started. So I will assume that was the trigger. But was it really? I have been stressed most of last week and nothing has changed.

Traveling is rough for me, too. So you were manic for two weeks in Japan? It sounds to me like getting the flight booking sorted. Here in the USA, the baggage is complicated, too. And it's expensive! Airline service has really declined with service during the flight and it can feel claustrophobic, too. How was the flight itself?

I've always wanted to visit Japan, too. Were you able to enjoy the trip? I'd like to go to Japan and Hawaii. I don't know if it will happen. I'd love to get a period of stability during traveling.

Ive never heard of delayed triggers...I have problems keeping up with my cycling, lately. So you jot down what you do throughout the day? It sounds like writing everything down would be best. I may try that. My mood has been all over the place lately. And you cycle faster than anyone I know.

Do you mind telling me more about writing everything down? Do you do it every day from waking to bedtime? I'd love to hear more. Being able to identify what cause, event or trigger that caused the mood episode shift, reducing g those specific triggers as much as possible could make a huge difference. I hope you are feeling better. I know I feel overwhelmed when returning up to. The unpacking, etc.

I hope this post is not too incoherent. I'm havient been able to sleep enough. I've noticed it affects my writing.
Love yet violence, is yet love. I love you.
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat May 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Traveling always seems to be the cause of triggering or worsening depression. I get so anxious and especially if I have so many things going on in my life at the same time. I have finally decided I'm going to try harder in eliminating other things (as much as is possible) and just try to reduce stress in my life during these times. If I go about things in such a way as writing down a list and then following it and checking it off, I seem to stress out to a lesser extent because my worrisome thoughts are written down on paper and I feel I can release some of those anxiety type of thoughts. I feel better just writing this out here on the forum and planning it because I now have a plan to help me better deal with my upcoming events this summer.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 4.5 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day

Forum Rules
quietgirl2538

Blog: View Blog (66)