Our partner

Deliberately inducing/provoking hypomanic episodes

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Deliberately inducing/provoking hypomanic episodes

Postby Zavatee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:48 pm

So over time I have figured out I can induce a hypomanic episode any time I want in order to speed myself up and become more productive. Is this considered dangerous and does anyone else do this with the seductive hypomania? I'm now in the process of inducing hypomania and I will know it's started when I start waking up very early in the morning feeling fully rested despite staying up late every night. That's the first signal to me I've become hypomanic and the rest soon follows.
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Deliberately inducing/provoking hypomanic episodes

Postby AmandaBroken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:00 pm

I suppose it's possible. But really is that the reason you do it? I lose all control during a mania. I am not a good person during that time.
Until you're broken, you don't know what you're made of.
It gives you the ability to build yourself all over again,
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Zavatee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 pm

That's the initial seductive benefit of it. Having all that excessive physical, mental, and sexual energy and stamina and being more productive at work and socially. The elevated euphoric mindset feels nice too.

The downsides is I'll become irritable and aggressive and having racing thoughts and become scatterbrained as I call it, and I will angrily lash out which will scare all my friends and probably start acting very impulsive.
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AmandaBroken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:09 pm

Zavatee wrote:That's the initial seductive benefit of it. Having all that excessive physical, mental, and sexual energy and stamina and being more productive at work and socially. The elevated euphoric mindset feels nice too.

The downsides is I'll become irritable and aggressive and having racing thoughts and become scatterbrained as I call it, and I will angrily lash out which will scare all my friends and probably start acting very impulsive.

I just looked it up an article that called it a very stupid thing to do. But hey, I cut and that's not very smart either. Be safe!
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zavatee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm

I guess I decided to discuss it this evening because the hypomania probably won't start in proper until tomorrow morning so I can still decide to trip and kill it. There is still time and so far, the feedback I'm getting is that this is a foolish thing to do letting it happen. Maybe chemical intervention is the right thing to do.
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AmandaBroken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 pm

Zavatee wrote:I guess I decided to discuss it this evening because the hypomania probably won't start in proper until tomorrow morning so I can still decide to trip and kill it. There is still time and so far, the feedback I'm getting is that this is a foolish thing to do letting it happen. Maybe chemical intervention is the right thing to do.

You are lucky my episodes go from 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Zavatee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm an ultra rapid cycler but I never heard of switching from normal to manic in less than three seconds. Mine are usually manic for four days, normal for three days on and on switching multiple times in a two week period but that's as fast as it gets for me.
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Jellybeanery » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I've tried inducing mania several times and it doesn't work for me, it's just something that happens naturally. I've done a lot of research on it, and all signs point to: It's not a good idea.
Bipolar I | GAD
Lamotrigine - 400 mg | Clonazepam - 1 mg

Jellybeanery
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 am

Postby AmandaBroken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Zavatee wrote:I'm an ultra rapid cycler but I never heard of switching from normal to manic in less than three seconds. Mine are usually manic for four days, normal for three days on and on switching multiple times in a two week period but that's as fast as it gets for me.

They say I am Bi-Polar 1 with recycling mania. But I go high fast and take hours to calm down. That's how it works for me. Cutting brings me down fast too.
but stronger than ever.
AmandaBroken
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShadowKirby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi

I myself have learned some things that trigger my mania, and it is very tempting to purposefully do it. As for if you should? It depends on your specific case of Bipolwr, how it affects you, and your life. I'm on good medication and grew up learning self-awareness, so downsides aren't very prevelant if I just maintain control. But that's me.

You've really gotta weigh the upsides and doensides. I say if it's hurting other people or yourself, don't.
20 years old. Bipolar Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, and Tourette's Syndrome.
Taking lithium, symbolta and lamotrigine. Also legally blind.
ShadowKirby
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 am

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post