Our partner

heavy sleeping and reducing contact help

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

heavy sleeping and reducing contact help

Postby robbi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 am

Hi All! I rather need some feedback about something which is becoming a problem. I keep wanting to cover this with my pdoc( whom I like and trust) - but never seem to get a reaction. I am now a bit worried and hoping for some feedback or insight?

Quick background perspective if I may. I am now in my sixties and had Bipolar, as I now know it to be, since mid twenties. I come from a family that did not recognise mental health as a subject; it was a non subject; - so my behaviour over the years has been a mystery to them and barrier between us, to put it politely. Various episodes and hospitals later, I am where I am. Part of my personal signature has been long, very long episodes of reversing away from the world. Closed curtains, minimal contact general deterioration, closing down, very deep, S' moods etc. Collectively, I have described my condition as being one of 'Half-world'. It can go on for long periods. Finally if I am honest I have, during all of that time had a daily, ongoing relationship with 'S'.
So now. I have been diagnosed and treated for Bipolar 11 since beginning of 2015 following a dark period and apart from a long summer for which I received tremendous hospital support I have gradually got better to the point where I would honestly describe myself as stable and I have even been able to work.My pdoc visits have gone out from weekly+ to tri-monthly+. I also need to mention the forum which from the time of formal diagnosis and I found it, has been a place of constant, positive reassurance for me. I discovered for the first time that I was actually not alone! This was very new.

The problem I have is this. I have more and more recently experienced episodes of 'sleep' where I am abed for long periods - because I want to - I am not 'sleepy' or tired, I just want to be where I am. Yesterday was 24hrs. I am also fighting a desire to reduce contact and connection - which I cannot do. This cannot be right.. Surely, this should not be happening with active medication? Has anyone else experienced something of same? Any thoughts, reactions appreciated.Thankyou.
robbi
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: heavy sleeping and reducing contact help

Postby CloudShark » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 am

Do you think you could be slipping into a depression? Mine usually start off that way. My motivation and energy levels are the first to go and also just an inability to find pleasure in things such as being with other people.

Maybe you could get your meds adjusted? Maybe it's side effects from the meds. You definitely need to get your psychiatrist's opinion, but it's hard if he is brushing you off. Sometimes you need to stress how important it is. I think people can get breakthrough episodes even when they're on meds.

Also, we're well into September now and the days are getting shorter. That might have something to do with it.
"Away"
CloudShark
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi robbi,
I am like you. Currently I am the most stable I have ever felt but I want to cut ties with people. I seek to be alone and not be obligated to be sociable for their sakes. I want complete control of my life. For me, I believe the reason is that I've been entirely too busy the last 3+ months and I feel a need to slow it down. But I don't feel depressed. Tiredness, yes. I call this moodiness. I tend to just want to throw caution to the wind and sleep in or take naps. I do that but I haven't slept in 24 hours.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (141)

Postby robbi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:18 pm

Ah, thankyou both for those solid insights and a definite reassurance - thankyou, even tho' I'm still worried!
I think when you experience a period when things are, in a positive way, 'different' you worry that, or are sensitive to, symptoms that suggest you're sliding back for another trip. I do worry. I don't want to slide back - and yep today I had yet another long sleep. This, off the back of a 'busy' period of some three days and nights.
I am stable; I am going to try to work my way out of this. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Spot on!
robbi
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post