Our partner

Bipolar + ASPD

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Bipolar + ASPD

Postby summernights » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:55 am

I've been diagnosed with bipolar and aspd, does anyone else here have this combination and if so how does it effect you?
summernights
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Bipolar + ASPD

Postby z7z » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:15 pm

Do you typically have ASPD symptoms during just mania or when stable/depressed too? I ask because I read that you can have these traits while manic but not have ASPD.

The APA's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, text revision (DSM IV-TR), defines antisocial personality disorder:

A) A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:
failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
B) The individual is at least age 18 years.
C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.
D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.

I think I have some of these traits. Also, borderline is common with bipolar. I think a good psychologist and therapy can help you overcome some of the interpersonal problems that come with these issues. Also, realizing that many people have them and not being ashamed of it can help. Our disorders don't own or define us and we all have the free will to change!
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sociodelique » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:00 pm

summernights wrote:I've been diagnosed with bipolar and aspd, does anyone else here have this combination and if so how does it effect you?

My official diagnosis is ASPD and Alcohol Use Disorder. I was also diagnosed with Bipolar last year by an emergency room psychiatrist in a hospital. I was having manic episodes and would rapidly shift from normal to manic back to normal. The mania became noticeable where I would need less sleep, have more energy, become irritable and grandiose, and believe I had abilities that I wouldn't normally believe I have.

I no longer believe I have Bipolar though. I recently discovered that my bipolar symptoms are being caused by drug abuse rather than a natural mental disorder in my brain. The doctor who diagnosed me with bipolar didn't know I was a drug user because I lied about it when he asked me questions about drugs. It seems that both sativa intoxication and cannabis withdrawals have been causing my mania and hypomania which leads me to believe my bipolar symptoms are not genuine.
Sociodelique
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Sociodelique:
I recently discovered that my bipolar symptoms are being caused by drug abuse rather than a natural mental disorder in my brain.

I think just to be on the safe side, that you should be under the care of a physician just in case those symptoms are indeed bipolar. It means you are taking care of yourself. An example of a pdoc monitoring symptoms for a really long time is myself. Took 7 years to be diagnosed and that diagnosis has stuck even 3 years later. Your situation is the opposite, but a good pdoc can watch carefully and rule out bipolar if you don't have it. Keep us updated! :D
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (141)

Postby summernights » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 pm

z7z wrote:Do you typically have ASPD symptoms during just mania or when stable/depressed too? I ask because I read that you can have these traits while manic but not have ASPD.

The APA's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, text revision (DSM IV-TR), defines antisocial personality disorder:

A) A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:
failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
B) The individual is at least age 18 years.
C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.
D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.

I think I have some of these traits. Also, borderline is common with bipolar. I think a good psychologist and therapy can help you overcome some of the interpersonal problems that come with these issues. Also, realizing that many people have them and not being ashamed of it can help. Our disorders don't own or define us and we all have the free will to change!

I've got it manic and depressive, don't know about stable because I said ###$ off to my meds. I find it's even worse in my depressive, I don't get sad really on downs just even more bored than usual without any mania to be satisfied doing nothing, I get a lot meaner and get in way more trouble as a result of my extra boredness.
summernights
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post