Our partner

CBD treatment; the answer I always wanted

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

CBD treatment; the answer I always wanted

Postby Audentia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 pm

One of the most prominent chemical compounds found in marijuana is cannabidol aka CBD. I'm American and CBD is legal nationwide now so I can freely purchase CBD products at stores. I buy bottles of 25mg CBD capsule pills and generally take one pill a day. I also buy vaporized CBD oil e-cigs and smoke them at any time of the day. CBD is legal as an over the counter product now because it's marketed as a nutritional supplement instead of a medication but I guarantee it has use as a medication. It has no THC so it won't get you high but it can still be used as an antipsychotic, a mood stabilizer, a relaxant, and a pain killer. It helps for insomnia too and if you take a high enough dose it does cause a relaxing sedating effect. It works better than prescription drugs. I really wish CBD products were around and legal when I was a teenager. If I had access to them, I never would have become the medicated mess I am today.

The only downside is it's expensive, a habit young people cannot easily afford. A bottle of 30 25mg CBD capsules is $100 and the e-cigs are about $15 per vape pen. It's the best bipolar treatment I've tried, highly recommended if you can afford it.
Audentia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: CBD treatment; the answer I always wanted

Postby Ennui » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi,

Although it's good you've found something which helps, I would still be extremely cautious about its use, considering that relatively little is known about the substance. From what I've read, it's currently undergoing clinical trials and remains illegal in many countries.

I know what a struggle it can be to find an effective combination of bipolar meds, and deal with all the side-effects etc. (something I'm going through right now) but my impression is that it may be safer to work with a psychiatrist on managing your symptoms with meds which have already been well studied for bipolar. However, it's obviously up to you to choose what you feel is best and I hope whatever that is, it gives you relief.
'Un ennui...' (Mallarmé)

'Perseverance is power' (Japanese proverb)

'All the world's a stage,/And all the men and women merely players'

Diagnoses: Bipolar affective disorder, GAD

Medications: 800mg Tegretol XR, 5mg Zyprexa
Ennui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

Postby Christopher2045 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

If it doesn't make you high, how does it make you feel? Do you feel different after having some? I have read that cbd can act as an anti-psychotic. It's ashame more research hasn't been done. Hopefully that changes. How long have you been using cbd? Also, are you on any anti-psychotics or mood stabilizers?
Christopher2045
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

Postby Oliveira » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 am

I think Andrew Solomon wrote that: when you have a broken leg, there are standard medical procedures to deal with it, and at the end you feel better. If you tell the doctors you're going to hop around town on your other leg while wearing a bunny costume, they'll be furious and it won't help you. BUT when it comes to mental illness, if you decide to hop around town in a bunny costume and it helps you, then job well done -- that's the whole point, for you to feel better. How you achieve that doesn't really matter as long as it works (and is legal).

In other words, while I am going to stick with my meds, I am glad you found something that works. Even if it doesn't work for anybody else, it helps you, and that's a great thing. Congratulations. I hope it continues to work for you -- and remember, if it stops working, there are other options.

Big hugs!
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

Postby Audentia » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Christopher2045 wrote:If it doesn't make you high, how does it make you feel? Do you feel different after having some? I have read that cbd can act as an anti-psychotic. It's ashame more research hasn't been done. Hopefully that changes. How long have you been using cbd? Also, are you on any anti-psychotics or mood stabilizers?

It doesn't get you high really. There is no euphoria like from THC. I would describe smoking CBD e-cigs as a similar buzz to nicotine in that it's a relaxant and a pain killer but unlike nicotine, it's not a stimulant. CBD just calms you down at low doses, and at high doses it becomes sedating. It is an antipsychotic as well as a mood stabilizer. The relaxing buzz helps my moods and I also notice it stops me from daydreaming at night when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep. Instead of having racing thoughts while lying in bed, I don't have those anymore on CBD and can just fall asleep fast.

I'm on Geodon which I take at night before going to bed but it doesn't really help me much except to knock me out at night. I've been using CBD to supplement on and off since January. I smoke the e-cigs to relax me for my mood problems and I take the capsule pills as a pain killer. I have a chronic pain disorder in my stomach that CBD helps a lot with. The pill hits your body for pain relief and the e-cigs hit your head for mental relaxation.
Audentia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

Postby Christopher2045 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Got a 100mg cbd oil yesterday for vape pen. Right away I could feel my mood enhancing. Clear head. Very relaxing. Though, I don't think I will be able to afford this as I'm not working right now.
Christopher2045
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post