Our partner

What does your mania look like

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Re: What does your mania look like

Postby Rxln » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:15 am

Still unsure if I experience hypomania/mania/or something else but a mixture of these:
-sound/visual/touch seems brighter, sharper, louder, blurrier, more intense, or noticing new details never noticed before
-air feels thinner and fresher
-feel very self confident (don't feel better than other people but I go from almost pure self hatred to confident sooo)
-start a million things at once, usually a lot of lists and I bake, I bake A LOT
-I convince people into longer term plans for my future and get them to help me but regret it later
-I construct long complicated plans to make a series of events possible with very limited resources (basically make very intense specific multitasking iteniraries especially for my mom or people around me)
-music sounds better, and I obsessively start the search for more music
-I'll obsess over one topic or show or movie and literally my whole life will become that
-I talk to all my teachers and pull my grades up by turning in half a semester's work in one week
-I paint a lot and do a lot of abstract art that looks AWESOME! until I'm down again and I realized it looks like crap
-Everyone is too slow, this tv show is too slow, this conversation is too slow; I just want to connect myself to the information and know it instantly
-can be more jumpy
-more energetic and talkative
-I start sleeping an average 0-4 hours a day and usually crash eventually but never want to sleep because if I sleep I don't get to use the time to do things
- so much more irritable
-I see coincidences and I can know that logically they are just coincidences, but can't shake the feeling that something weird is going on (i.e my name keeps popping up in random places, I pull up my calendar on google to add an appt and it instantly is set on the correct time, the same topic comes up twice in completely irrelevant areas)
-talking so fast I stutter, use the wrong words or mess up the order
-not being able to tell if people are actually ignoring me in a group conversation or if I'm just being extremely impatient and socially paranoid
Meds: clonazepam 1mg, wellbutrin xr 450mg, adderall 40mg, ambien 10mg, 200mg lamictal
Dx: AvPD, unspecified bipolar, GAD, ADHD, panic disorder, and some nos schizophrenic spectrum disorder thing
Rxln
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Audentia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:21 pm

I've recently been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 so I'm new to being aware of my condition. Apparently I'm hypomanic much of the time and have even had entire years of my life where I was hypomanic the whole time and I was self medicating by being a pothead and alcoholic without realizing what I was self medicating for. My hypomanic phases causes my insomnia due to not being tired enough to fall asleep, racing thoughts, distractibility, anger problems, impulsive and risky behavior, and the need for downers like weed and alcohol at night to wind me down. It was only after becoming sober that my hypomania became noticeable enough for an ER doctor to notice and diagnose me. I also think that having an inflated sense of my talents and making grand unrealistic plans in the past could also have been signs of hypomania.
Audentia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

Postby bunnybug » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Now stable my mania is pretty much gone, although I get weird thoughts, or jump to various thoughts, especially at night or when I wake up early or stress. Usually if I get some sleep I feel much better. When I was first recovering it felt like a horrible feverish nightmare.

if I can come to any idea of what mania looks like, I imagine it looks like lemongrab or one of the abominations he created.
Do not be proud of your disorder, be proud it does not define you and your struggles with it.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Kamia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi,

For me, hypomania manifests as really just thoroughly enjoying life. I'll either start feeling physically very strong and take up new outdoors activities, or I'll feel really clever and take on lots of new projects. Everything is funny, everything I say is funny, I'm on an adventure and people are drawn to me. I love the energy boost, I can get so much done. And less sleep means more hours to do it.

Then I'll start obsessing over something without even knowing it. The racing thoughts that spurred great ideas before become so intense that I can't control what I think, I don't have a say in it. I can't make sense of the thoughts either because there's so many in bits and pieces and I start to feel extremely confused and suspicious of everything.

An absolute clear sign for me of what's coming is three things that happen every time; 1) I'll start remembering things that didn't happen. Not like deja vu, I remember in specific detail. 2) I can't make sense of what people say. Words don't make sense when put together. 3) I'll either hear things, like music or laughter, or see things like cats, rats. After that will come either an epiphany (that's not real), or I'll make a connection with something and start getting signs and messages. And that'll be my switch into psychosis, living in a different world to everyone else for the next few weeks and not even knowing it.
That's what life's about man, good times, a little salad.
Kamia
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 am

Postby Lanka » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:36 am

Hypo;
-I'd take way more stuff than I could handle.
-Taking care of coordinating position and such considering normally I don't fear anything as much as attention.. Lesser form dye my hair red&black. Although I kinda liked that afterwards..
-No sleep,
-libido multiplied by plenty (sucks when you've been single all your life with crap of selfesteem to bother trying),
-walk around talking to myself
-and when I'd talk to other people they'd couldn't keep up with my flaky&absent mind while talking way more and way faster than usual.
-In cases with ton of stress to trigger my hypo; sort of creative flow of everything above. Kinda handy when you can concentrate on one task for 90% of a day for few days.. Also kinda not-handy when you crash after that, but hey, you get score for returned tasks, crash afterwards not counted.

-Physical stuff side: light over-sensitivity, every snowflake under streetlamp shines like a diamond, feel like I should use sunglasses while walking in dark.. One of the proven ways to track my hypos.
Rapid cycling BP II with side of anxiousness, mixed states and BPD/AvPD-traits.
Meds? Went feral. So far nothing has given me the equal of highs on daily basis.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
Lanka
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:22 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby jarsmom916- » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm

My mania looks like dysphoria Irritable and angry New dx cyclothymia
My psych np says hypomania can look like dysphoria This is intermittent with
Occasional "normal" mood
jarsmom916-
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Roquentin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:13 pm

the docs werent sure whether i was bipolar or whether it was just the mirtazapine i was taking (i was on 45 mg).

anyhow i started not being able to sleep. Mind started racing. I couldnt understand what was happening because i wasnt depressed and felt great. Lights suddenly were extremely bright. The tv screen was hard to look at because it was bright. sounds were more acute. then my driving was becoming erratic. it was like i was slightly drunk and my co-ordination was askew. I was very pressurized to talk as well. i couldnt stop moving. my head seemed to be bored. My social skills dramatically increased. i became very articulate and well able to charm people. im usualy like a zombie but if i was doing an interview in this state i would nail it. Responses to questions were coming so fast. all the neurons were clicking into play. I felt sort of too good, too confident. i was full of energy. i was doing more exercise to channel all this energy thinking that would tire me out and it did, for a while and then the energy would return. Then i started getting wound up easily. If i saw someone make a mistake when driving i would feel like getting our of the car and giving out to them. Overall it was kind of like being drunk with actually having drank anything. the docs put me on an anti psychotic and that fixed everything. Still get a bit edgy towards the night but the meds do the trick whence i take them.

still unsure as to whether i am bipolar or was it just the meds. i think as well the docs were reticent about diagnosing me/telling me. it was the erratic driving that made me seek the docs. if i continued in that state i would have crashed the car no question. it was like being mildly drunk and driving. it was indicative of the polar opposite of what i am usually. usually i am slow (schizoid) and simple. very strange alright
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE Jean Paul Sartre
Roquentin
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Alxv1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:45 pm

I've been delusional for some time, around 3 years ago I think. At that time I couldn't accept what had happened, some events that turned my life upside down, so I was affected by psychosis for brief moments as well caused by insane amounts of stress, drugs and alcohol. During those moments I could see a vague image in my head, I can still remember it. A mouth, black and white, with hardcore shake effects like in movies, and I could hear is screaming and it felt so real. After those moments I got very frightened that I'd lose myself and lose sight of what's real. Since that day I've been working on it and still am, but thankfully nothing similar happened anymore. Now, all that seems so unreal, as if I'm making it up, feels weird to talk about it too.
Alxv1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:22 am

Postby thejan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:10 pm

i have two different kinds of hypomania.

The first: i love everyone and everything. its like i am in love with the world. i feel confident that the feeling is reciprocal. i want sex, alcohol and party. i do risky stuff. i know no boundaries anymore. everything is possible. i do things in excess. there is no limit. i quickly exhaust myself because i still have limits which i cannaot see and this frustrates me, sometimes i lash out then. But most of the thereme, i get very sociable and nice.

The second: i get bursts of creativity and absolutely have to write everything down. because everything is awesome. I spend days and nights songwriting. Or i theorycraft whole days fr cmputer games. I have so many ideas. Since i cut dow sugar radically and do a backschooling frm right hand to ny original left-handedness these episodes become shorter, less obsessive and more productive. I can now better decide where i put my energy into. In this kind i shut myself off from the outer world.

the first is like hypomana directed outward, the second is directed inward.
Dx: Bipolar 2. BDP+HPD. Pathological Gaming.

It takes a long time for a tree to grow.
thejan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post