Our partner

I'm drowning

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

I'm drowning

Postby ElKahn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:42 am

I feel like I'm getting worse in terms of functioning.

When I first started taking Abilify (aripriprazole), I couldn't concentrate and would always feel sleepy.
Everytime my doctor increases the dose of my antidepressant (currently Cymbalta), I feel sleepy.
I feel like I'm losing my cognitive abilities. I don't feel as sharp and smart as I used to be.

I find it difficult to hold conversations.
I find it difficult to study and focus on what I'm reading.
I find it difficult to read and elaborate information.
I find it difficult to sustain attention.
I find it difficult to remember things (I always forget to take my meds)
I constantly feel like I'm just zoning out and like my brain's about to explode.

How do I deal with all of this?
ElKahn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm drowning

Postby Ennui » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed by the decline in your functioning. I know how scary it can be and you're definitely not alone in feeling this way.

At the moment I feel constantly tired and slowed down by the Quetiapine I'm taking. Although antipsychotics can be undoubtedly essential for me (as in my recent mixed episode), once my mood starts getting more stable, I feel very sluggish and kind of 'dumbed down' on them. It's taken a lot of patience to be on this drug for more than 2 years, but it's really helped with the mixed episodes I'm prone to.

In the past, I've also felt severe cognitive dysfunction (i.e. unable to even read a magazine) through depression. It was horrible at the time, but once my mood was stable, my usual skills returned.

I'd recommend talking to your pdoc about what you're suffering, and hopefully they'll be able to help. If your problems aren't only caused by sedation, but mood instability, then in my experience, getting that under control could improve things quite significantly. Take care x
'Un ennui...' (Mallarmé)

'Perseverance is power' (Japanese proverb)

'All the world's a stage,/And all the men and women merely players'

Diagnoses: Bipolar affective disorder, GAD

Medications: 800mg Tegretol XR, 5mg Zyprexa
Ennui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum