Our partner

Decline in cognitive abilities?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Decline in cognitive abilities?

Postby ElKahn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 am

I'm on meds, changed a few until my doctor found the right ones (hopefully), so things seem to have gotten better after the diagnosis and the therapy.

What I've been noticing though is a decline in cognitive abilities. I remember I was able to write more, engage in philosophical debates, I was able to read long texts, think in more complex ways, etc.

Now I feel like my brain's just slowed down a lot. I wonder if it's the effect of medication. I miss being the old me, after all. I don't miss the mood swings, obviously, but I miss the rest. It seems like one part of me has been put to sleep, and I miss it.

What am I supposed to do? I certainly don't feel like stopping the therapy.

Is it irreversible? Has my brain been damaged somehow?
ElKahn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Decline in cognitive abilities?

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

I think what you are describing is quite common from what I have read here and from my own experiences. I think this can be a part of BP in and of itself but that meds can also blunt things too. In my case I have decided to put up with it so I can be stableish from a mood pov but it is not ideal. Have you told your Dr about it?

Hugs

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby BP4ever » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi there,

Unfortunately the majority of scientific research on bipolar affective disorder shows that patients' cognitive abilities deteriorate over time. This is a side effect of the condition.

However, I do think that medication can also have an effect which is why it is important to get the type of medication and dosage right for the specific individual.

I've talked to my doctor about this and he said the rate at which the decline takes place also depends on your environment i.e. the amount of stimulation that you get daily and whether you take recreational drugs or not.

I'm not sure if the "damage" that having bipolar does to our brains is reversible or not, but there are a lot of brain training games available to help improve memory and other executive cognitive functions - worth a try at least?
BP4ever
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ennui » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi,

I can relate to the mental slowing that, like others have said, seems to be part of the disorder itself but can be brought about by other factors. I find it quite upsetting that I'm nowhere near as sharp as a few years ago.

Partly, I put this down to having an antipsychotic as part of my cocktail for over 2 years now, because of the sedation and its action on the brain. I think being less active (I've only been able to work part-time recently) is contributing, too.

Another thing is that I sometimes compare myself to when I was younger and not on meds, and I think the feeling of being switched on and being extremely productive may have been the influence of hypomania, actually. Compared to most others, I used to definitely be 'over the top' in terms of achievement, especially academically.

It's something I'm tolerating for now, as I need to take the Seroquel because of a recent mixed episode, but my hope is to get stable enough to only be on a mood stabiliser, as I was previously.

I'd recommend talking to your pdoc about it, and also building up to being as mentally active as possible.

It's certainly been difficult saying goodbye to aspects of my original thinking/behaviour through having my bipolar treated, but in my case, I have to recognise that being a little slowed down (as long as it's not too much!), is probably much more 'normal' than 'firing on all cylinders' as I mostly used to. Hope this helps x
'Un ennui...' (Mallarmé)

'Perseverance is power' (Japanese proverb)

'All the world's a stage,/And all the men and women merely players'

Diagnoses: Bipolar affective disorder, GAD

Medications: 800mg Tegretol XR, 5mg Zyprexa
Ennui
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Forgot to add - I do things like play scrabble on my phone and do puzzles to try to keep things active

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby AeraMae » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:50 am

I feel when I'm stable, my memory is terrible (don't know if from meds or because of anxiety/bp) and conversations with people lack a certain quality as when I'm not stable. When I'm hypo, I have the best ideas running through my head and interesting topics to debate about. I'm not much for small talk, I usually like the deep questions and intangible topics. atm I am stable, and I feel like a complete idiot. :(
AeraMae
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:58 am

Postby Kamia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 am

It's the same for me and I'm not on any meds. I do believe it can be improved with practice, but not sure as to the extent.
That's what life's about man, good times, a little salad.
Kamia
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 am

Postby ElKahn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:20 am

ElKahn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (9)