Our partner

Anyone ever feel like this

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Anyone ever feel like this

Postby hardknocklife » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 pm

I have bipolar and have been diagnosed for 20 years. I have been off meds for a year, but i have a doctor's appointment next week to get back on my meds. The problem is I'm not feeling manic or depressed, i have been in both those phases before, what I'm going through now feels different. Im unable to concentrate, unable to communicate, it takes several minutes to react to what someone said to me in a conversation. It's as if I have lost my intelligence. I'm forgetful, I'm anxious, can't remember how to do the simplest tasks. Very antisocial and socially awkward. I feel stuck, emotionless. It's like I lost my instincts and basic reasoning skills.
hardknocklife
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anyone ever feel like this

Postby bipolarbirdie » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 am

I get like this sometimes. Don't worry, you haven't lost your intelligence, it's just a bit of brain fog. It can be improved with practice. My husband asks me maths questions for me to do in my head. Like for example if the fish tank is 120cm long how many feet is that?
bipolarbirdie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Postby pemigewasset » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:23 am

I'm sorry you're feeling so out of whack right now. I've felt like what you're describing, completely numb and almost like I'm not in reality anymore. It's usually triggered by something though, and my pdoc blames it on my BPD (emptiness/numbness/dissociation). Maybe it is a BP thing that my doctor just doesn't want to deal with via meds because that's just so much extra work, but who knows? All I know is it usually goes away with me after anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple days. In the mean time I try to ground myself by engaging my senses, like petting my cats or eating food while really focusing on the taste, the texture, etc. and I find it helps me feel more in reality I guess, but it only works temporarily and I can't get my intelligence back.
Hope you feel better soon =)
You are unique, just like everybody else.
pemigewasset
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:21 pm

Postby skilsaw » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm

The fish tank is 4 feet long.

I'm getting like you. I call it old age.
It is not always possible to make someone's discomfort go away.
Sometimes, the best thing we can do is resist the urge to fix it and instead just say, "You, too?"
skilsaw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:21 pm

Postby clau_88 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:28 am

hardknocklife wrote:I have bipolar and have been diagnosed for 20 years. I have been off meds for a year, but i have a doctor's appointment next week to get back on my meds. The problem is I'm not feeling manic or depressed, i have been in both those phases before, what I'm going through now feels different. Im unable to concentrate, unable to communicate, it takes several minutes to react to what someone said to me in a conversation. It's as if I have lost my intelligence. I'm forgetful, I'm anxious, can't remember how to do the simplest tasks. Very antisocial and socially awkward. I feel stuck, emotionless. It's like I lost my instincts and basic reasoning skills.

You just described the way I feel...
I'm with medication but this is not 'me'. I used to live with emotion and now I feel like a robot or having something that commands my brain. My eyes are sad, my smile is fake. My words are nonsense and I feel like I've lost my hole rationality. It's like there is something that turns off the circuits of my brain and I feel so stupid sometimes. I go to college but I can't pay attention to classes. For me, voices are just noise to my brain. I hate being much time around people.

So, I can really understand the way you feel. Talk about it to your doctor. I think I'm gonna do the same. Maybe we just need to have something motivational to fight for.
We need something to wake us up.
clau_88
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 pm

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post