Our partner

Does it bug you that bipolar is romanticized?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Re: Does it bug you that bipolar is romanticized?

Postby invicta » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Oliveira wrote:I'd like to apologise for my comments earlier in the thread, I had a very bad day today. Also don't think I expressed myself too clearly.

I actually realised I might have bipolar thanks to that documentary -- I watched it, then told my boyfriend "do you know, I saw this documentary that suggests I might not just have depression..." I was officially diagnosed a few days later. Still suspecting it didn't soften the shock, but that's a whole different discussion.

I never managed to watch Homeland -- I tried but it's really not my cup of tea -- but I'm curious if others think bipolar is shown true to life there, or also in a "dramaticised" way?

No need to apologise, at least not on my account! :) Sorry you were having a bad day and I hope you're feeling better.

Stephen Fry's documentary was actually one of the best I've watched (topped only by Up/Down). As for Homeland, I watched the whole series and liked most of it. I found the portrayal of bipolar one of the most accurate I've seen. Also, bipolar wasn't the focus of the show, which was something I really liked. It wasn't a show about MI. It was a show about terrorists, the CIA, traitors, etc. It just so happened that one of the characters was bipolar. It's one of the things I hate about these shows that have been popping up - the focus is almost solely on bipolar, everything has to have some connection to it, it's too much!
invicta
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby dberte79 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:59 pm

invicta wrote:
Oliveira wrote:I'd like to apologise for my comments earlier in the thread, I had a very bad day today. Also don't think I expressed myself too clearly.

I actually realised I might have bipolar thanks to that documentary -- I watched it, then told my boyfriend "do you know, I saw this documentary that suggests I might not just have depression..." I was officially diagnosed a few days later. Still suspecting it didn't soften the shock, but that's a whole different discussion.

I never managed to watch Homeland -- I tried but it's really not my cup of tea -- but I'm curious if others think bipolar is shown true to life there, or also in a "dramaticised" way?

No need to apologise, at least not on my account! :) Sorry you were having a bad day and I hope you're feeling better.

Stephen Fry's documentary was actually one of the best I've watched (topped only by Up/Down). As for Homeland, I watched the whole series and liked most of it. I found the portrayal of bipolar one of the most accurate I've seen. Also, bipolar wasn't the focus of the show, which was something I really liked. It wasn't a show about MI. It was a show about terrorists, the CIA, traitors, etc. It just so happened that one of the characters was bipolar. It's one of the things I hate about these shows that have been popping up - the focus is almost solely on bipolar, everything has to have some connection to it, it's too much!

I fell in love with Homeland right before my first acute Manic episode and failed to connect the dots, I loved Carrie and thought she was female version of me. At this time I also fell in love with the song I'll be alright by Passion Pit, a song written by the lead singer who has BP; about a Manic episode that nearly destroyed his relationship with his now wife, I once again failed to connect the dots. Both I'll be alright and it's not my fault im happy by Passion Pit are songs that deal with the realities of living with Bipolar but in no way romanticize it.
dberte79
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:35 am

Postby sixprime » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Actually, "passion pit" is an appropriate description itself for some of my experiences.
Excusez pour le mal que j'ai pu faire, il est involontaire
- Solaar
sixprime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

Postby MikeHooty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 am

dberte79 wrote:I fell in love with Homeland right before my first acute Manic episode and failed to connect the dots, I loved Carrie and thought she was female version of me. At this time I also fell in love with the song I'll be alright by Passion Pit, a song written by the lead singer who has BP; about a Manic episode that nearly destroyed his relationship with his now wife, I once again failed to connect the dots. Both I'll be alright and it's not my fault im happy by Passion Pit are songs that deal with the realities of living with Bipolar but in no way romanticize it.

No way! I saw Passion Pit last year at Firefly festival and I'll be alright has always been my favorite song by them and had no idea what that song was about until just now.
MikeHooty
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

Previous

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post