Our partner

Propranolol

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

Propranolol

Postby 2cool4u » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Anyone ever been given Propranolol for anxiety? I told my psych lady I was quitting my Lamictal due to acne issues from it so she put me on Propranolol for anxiety and said that should help. Most people know it as a blood pressure med so just wondering if anyone else has tried it and if it has helped. She's starting me on 20mg and said in a month if I don't feel much different than she will up it.
Bipolar I
Mixed episodes
Rapid Cycling
Meds: None.
Formally Diagnosed: 11-2012
2cool4u
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Propranolol

Postby weepingwillow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Hey,
I used to take propranolol but it was for headaches. I did notice a difference in m y anxiety tho. Felt calmer. I hope they work for you! :D

((Big Hugs))
willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Cheze2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:22 am

I was given propranolol mainly to reduce my heart rate due to a medication side effect, but also for it's anti anxiety effect. (if you're heart isn't racing, there's a potential that you won't feel as anxious) It helped get my heart rate into a safe zone. I wasn't specifically looking for it's anti anxiety effects so I don't remember much of if it helped with that or not. I do know other people who are prescribed propranolol for anxiety and they find it helpful though.
Bipolar I with Psychotic features; Borderline Personality disorder; GAD
Currently going through LOTS of med changes. Today's cocktail is: Quetiapine 100mg; Latuda 80mg; Trilafon: 8mg
Forum Rules
"No matter how long the night, the dawn always breaks" -African Proverb
Cheze2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 am

Postby Nancyninja » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 am

I was prescribed propranolol for anxiety. When you feel anxious (like shaking or feeling like your going to piss yourself) it can help. Does it make you feel better or lessen the bad thoughts? Absolutely not. When I take it, my mind still wonders to the thoughts that cause my anxiety, but the only difference is that I don't feel like I'm about to vomit my intestines. Mainly, I'm just left with a depressed feeling. You may be thinking thinking that there is no such thing to take away the bad thoughts... But there is medication that can make you let go (at least for the time being). I'm sorry If that sounds bad, but it's the truth.

-- Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:27 am --

I was prescribed propranolol for anxiety. When you feel anxious (like shaking or feeling like your going to piss yourself) it can help. Does it make you feel better or lessen the bad thoughts? Absolutely not. When I take it, my mind still wonders to the thoughts that cause my anxiety, but the only difference is that I don't feel like I'm about to vomit my intestines. Mainly, I'm just left with a depressed feeling. You may be thinking thinking that there is no such thing to take away the bad thoughts... But there is medication that can make you let go (at least for the time being). I'm sorry If that sounds bad, but it's the truth.
Nancyninja
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 am

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:21 pm

I am on 160mg of mr propanolol for tremor mainly but it does help with th physical symptoms of anxiety tho not the mental ones. I dont notice any side effects from it.

Cracked
"You're a tit short of an udder" - Owen Newitt

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:53 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Unknown_1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 am

I've been on this for a while. It has helped me immensely in controlling my panic, but like previously said, it does absolutely nothing for the anxious thoughts. I use it PRN, and pretty much everyday, and alter the dosage depending on what kind of situation I will be in. I have noticed though sometimes I need to be careful about using too much, because sometimes it can make me feel light-headed and a little dissociated (because of the drop in blood-pressure). But overall I think it is really useful, it has no major side-effects, and seems much better than other anti-anxiety meds for the physical symptoms. I think it depends on the type of anxiety, if it's more ruminations then it isn't going to be as helpful as if it is used for the outward physiological signs of panic.
One does not abandon, even briefly, one's bed of nails, but is attached to it wherever one goes-William Styron
It's hard enough to live in a land where you don't belong, but knowing it, holding conflicting realities in your head, will drive you mad-Mad Hatter
Unknown_1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby pudetat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 am

some of the older "tricyclic" anti-depressants are also very good on anxiety. amitryptoline, one i've used has sedative as well as heart-rate and blood pressure effects that may be suitable for you. i used to call them "stupid-pills" because they do have a tendancy to put a lot of fog in the head.

:? i must admit, that while on it, i had zero anxiety, even though i had issues that would frighten anyone. i had no suicidal depression, no thoughts of violance. i got to sleep to the point of aquaintance with the dead. at that dosage, i also couldn't hold a job or function in society very well, even to the point of not being able to play a simple game of cards.

all things taken into account, you may want to mention the option of a tricyclic to your p-doc.
pudetat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 am

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum