Our partner

Do people w/ mental illness have sleep "phenomenas"?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira, Cheze2

Do people w/ mental illness have sleep "phenomenas"?

Postby afink87 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:55 am

I put phenomena because most people have sleep ISSUES, but that isn't what I mean. I've never known anyone who has sleep experiences like me. Lately before I wake up my mind wakes up and tries to wake my body up. When I was a teenager I'd nap after high school and smell my step mom cooking, sometimes I'd open my eyes and look around my room but couldn't wake myself up (move my body) until I was hollered for. Today I was thinking to myself whilst in sleep and decided I wanted to be awake. I started kicking my legs, that didn't work. I tried to call out to my husband in the other room, but it was just a whisper, finally I was just like, open your eyes and move your arms, so I did and I woke myself up, kind of startled once I realized I hadn't been conscious that whole time.

Does anyone know if this means anything?

EDIT: just noticed the little SLEEP button up there! I forgot to add that I'll wake up and want to go do something, the realize "DAMN I'm still asleep" I'll wake myself up, and actually go do that only to realize I'm still asleep! I usually stay asleep when this happens though.
afink87
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do people w/ mental illness have sleep "phenomenas"?

Postby bamaalice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 am

I've never experienced this, but my mental illness free husband (sometimes I disagree with this, haha) gets what is called sleep paralysis. His mind wakes up, he knows he's awake, but he cannot move no matter what he does. He is used to this happening now, but the frequency has decreased since his diagnosis of sleep apnea and use of a CPAP. I don't know if this is what you're experiencing or not. Just my two cents.

Take good care,
Alice
Bipolar II with hypomania & psychosis
Lamictal 300mg
Latuda 160mg
Prozac 20mg
Trileptal 600mg
Fetzima 20mg
Klonopin 0.5mg prn

What if this is as good as it gets?
bamaalice
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 am

Postby PricklyAngel » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:16 am

This sounds like sleep paralysis to me.

Most people experience it a couple of times in their lives, but for me I experience it a lot!
It's a really uncomfortable and eerie feeling and, even though it's harmless, I can get it non stop whilst going through a lot of stress.
I open my mouth to call on my mum, trying to scream at the top of my lungs but nothing comes out. At that point I feel as if something really sinister is in my room and I'm trapped in my head unable to move my body.
I don't know if it is more common in people with bipolar, but I do remember reading somewhere that it's only a couple of times in their life an average person experiences it.
But, for you and I, experiencing it a lot can be a pain :/

I try to lie on my side now at night, I get them less if I do that.

Hope this helps :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Sx
Wiki

Hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are symptoms commonly experienced during episodes of sleep paralysis. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for reports of alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[13] A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability.[14] There are three main types of these hallucinations that can be linked to pathologic neurophysiology.[7] These include the belief that there is an intruder in the room, the incubus, and vestibular motor sensations.[15]
PricklyAngel
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 am

Postby Anyone » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:12 am

Yes- my sleep is very strange.

In episodes I'll have dreams and nightmares seemingly all night, often lucid. Often really wild and different. Sometimes religious with some profound insights. They say you wait 90 mins to get into REM but i'll take an hour long nap with dreams. I've talked in my sleep, walked in my sleep... Sleep 2 hours a night, sleep 15 hours a night. During the manic periods where I'm not sleeping I go into psychosis quicker, I think of it as "dreaming while awake". I've never met a person who's had so many experiences while they were sleeping before.
Bipolar type II w/ psychosis
Rx:lamictal 125 mg
PRN xanax

exercise.
Anyone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Gamer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:03 am

Based on what I've seen in the forums sleep problems tend to be the common denominator in most mental illnesses.
DX: Bipolar II.
Gamer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Infinite_Jester » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:09 am

I have many different problems with my sleep: sleep onset insomnia, sleep paralysis, night terrors, and one of my doctors even thought that I might have a nocturnal form of epilepsy, where I have seizures while sleeping.

Of course, that's weird, but I don't know if it has anything to do with sick mind -err- bipolar disorder :mrgreen:
Infinite_Jester
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Postby Ian Reynir » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 am

Right after my first hospitalization, I had many night terrors and woke up in sweat and panic. I had no previous issues like that.

For the first few months after disconinuing meds, I had irregular sleep, but no "phenomenas" like you described. Since then, sleep's been very good.

One strange thing about my sleep, perhaps as compared to most people, is that I often have lucid dreams. Actually, just about all of my dreams are lucid.
Diagnosis: Bipolar I
Meds: none
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 pm

Postby Gamer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 am

Ian Reynir wrote:Right after my first hospitalization, I had many night terrors and woke up in sweat and panic. I had no previous issues like that.

For the first few months after disconinuing meds, I had irregular sleep, but no "phenomenas" like you described. Since then, sleep's been very good.

One strange thing about my sleep, perhaps as compared to most people, is that I often have lucid dreams. Actually, just about all of my dreams are lucid.

If by lucid you mean feeling like you have control of your dream, then yes I had those too, but not lately. My dreams are very vivid though, and I can almost always recall them after I wake up (apparently a lot of people don't)
DX: Bipolar II.
Gamer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Unknown_1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

Yes, I also get sleep paralysis when I'm not well, especially if I'm depressed. It's pretty terrifying. I also have really vivid nightmares at times, but they seem to be dependent on my medications, so I think sometimes the meds influence the frequency and vividness of nightmares for me.
One does not abandon, even briefly, one's bed of nails, but is attached to it wherever one goes-William Styron
It's hard enough to live in a land where you don't belong, but knowing it, holding conflicting realities in your head, will drive you mad-Mad Hatter
Unknown_1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby CrackedGirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 pm

I find myself thinking I am awake and talking to myself about how I need to move to get up then telling myself what to do. I also follow TV programs tho lose time as I am asleep - ie I know what happened if I watch it again but at the time i thnk I was asleep because of time loss. I also think I am awake and walking about sometimes. I sleep talk and have a lot of vivid dreams.

Cracked
L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N.
You've got more than money and sense, my friend
You've got heart and you go in your own way

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:45 am
Blog: View Blog (177)