Our partner

How can I help my bipolar client?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

How can I help my bipolar client?

Postby harrydubois » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:00 pm

I am a 52 year old man and I have been hired by the family of a 62 year old bipolar man to be his live in, private psychiatric aide. I have been doing this for four weeks so far.

My client has been hospitalized about six times over the nine past years. He seems to have manic episodes which are several months long, is hospitalized for a month or two, then goes into depression for a year or two and then back to the mania. He does not seem to recognize his mania as being a negative thing, but rather views it as being episodes of great energy and creativity and he is truly bewildered about why the police are taking him into custody repeatedly and why his children want him to be hospitalized.

He was discharged from his latest hosptalization four weeks ago and I have been with him since then.

He basically makes an impression of being perfectly rational and normal, except that he has plans to turn part of a public park in a major city into a large synagogue. This park is 200 miles from his home. Almost all his time and energy seems to be related to furthering this project: speaking to any builders or architects who he believes could help him, traveling to the park, finding inexpensive or free lodging in that neighborhood, meeting with a homeless alcoholic who lives near the park and who claims to be able to provide vital assistance, etc.

He is by the way Jewish and previously, before nine years ago, was very successful in the construction industry.

My client takes his meds in front of me twice a day, mainly respirdal and dekapote. He may soon try lithium which he had until now refused.

I seem to be employed to be the Sancho Panza to a Don Quixote.

My question is: what should I expect will come next? Depression? More extreme mania? How will I know? So far I see no noticable change in mood.

Secondly: What can I do to help him, if anything?
harrydubois
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How can I help my bipolar client?

Postby pinkfloydfan810 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:47 am

Hi Harry. I don't mean to sound insulting, but are you a Medical Doctor hired by a family as a psychiatric aide? If you are a psychiatrist or psychologist, can you ask a previous teacher from med school for advice on Bipolar treatment?
pinkfloydfan810
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby harrydubois » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:03 am

No, I am a certified nursing assistant. I was trained to diaper demented old men and instead I got offered a job babysitting a bipolar old man.
harrydubois
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Cheze2 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:24 am

harrydubois wrote:No, I am a certified nursing assistant. I was trained to diaper demented old men and instead I got offered a job babysitting a bipolar old man

This is a very rude and insensitive comment. Perhaps you shouldn't be in the field if you have such a sour outlook on people. It seems to me that you are not trained properly for this position.
Bipolar I with Psychotic features; Borderline Personality disorder; GAD
Currently going through LOTS of med changes. Today's cocktail is: Tegretol 300mg; Quetiapine 100mg; Latuda 80mg; Trilafon: 8mg
Forum Rules
"No matter how long the night, the dawn always breaks" -African Proverb
Cheze2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:44 am

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Cheze2 wrote:This is a very rude and insensitive comment. Perhaps you shouldn't be in the field if you have such a sour outlook on people. It seems to me that you are not trained properly for this position.

None of us mean to be harsh, but I do agree with this. None of us are here to judge you, however as we know nothing about you. So perhaps your comment is being misinterpreted.

But I will say, to be honest, that it doesn't seem as though you're qualified properly to handle this guy's care. I think there is a big difference between a general nurse and a psychiatric nurse, as psychiatric disorders tend to be in a totally different ballgame and require people with knowledge of the disorders their patients and clients are experiencing. If it's possible for you to help get a psychiatric nurse aid for him, that would be the most sensible course of action. If not, I suggest reading up about Bipolar Disorder as best you can, and get a clear idea of what is going on with him, although still, he'd be better off with an aid that has professional training with psychiatric disorders. Training in changing diapers is not enough for handling someone with Bipolar, one of the most severe mental disorders...

I apologize if my response wasn't the most helpful, but I felt I should be honest.

- EGD.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby harrydubois » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:20 pm

This man's family expects him to see a psychiatrist and a therapist as well.

My job seems to be basically to follow him around all day and provide the family with constant updates about what he is doing so that they can try to control his mania to some degree or be aware of anything dangerous he is doing.

For his part the patient sees me as being his faithful sidekick, like Sancho Panza to his Don Quixote.

i just downloaded from Kindle last night "I'm not crazy, just bipolar". Has anyone read it?
harrydubois
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mr Metal » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 am

If you think you can change a man that age by doing the same mistakes done probably for decades, think twice.

The old man needs a change and find the roots to "bipolar".

You will fail unless you find the cause.
Sanity provided by orthomolecular protocol:

3 g Niacinamide
400 mg Pyrodoxin
100 mg Pyridoxal-5-phosphate
2 g L-methionine
B-100 complex
200 mcg Selenium
600 mg Calcium
300 mg Magnesium
50 mg Zinc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHhBpuHSNc
Mr Metal
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby harrydubois » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:40 am

I thought it was genetic and the only solution is medication?
harrydubois
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mr Metal » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Indeed it is.

And what causes genes to replicate?

Food does. Exercise does.

Drugs might sound compelling but they do not fix the broken gene.
Sanity provided by orthomolecular protocol:

3 g Niacinamide
400 mg Pyrodoxin
100 mg Pyridoxal-5-phosphate
2 g L-methionine
B-100 complex
200 mcg Selenium
600 mg Calcium
300 mg Magnesium
50 mg Zinc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHhBpuHSNc
Mr Metal
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby harrydubois » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Well, I have talked into joining my gym and I'm also trying to get him onto a healthy diet.
harrydubois
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post