Our partner

Mood and the pineal gland - your experiences?

Bipolar Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: CrackedGirl, Oliveira

Mood and the pineal gland - your experiences?

Postby Ian Reynir » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 pm

I was just discussing the pineal gland with a friend because I think that this is what I'm using during meditations. This thought is based on things I've read by meditation experts. These experts seem to agree that the majority of adults cannot immediately use this gland becaues it becomes calcified and unable to work properly (secreting the seretonin derivative melatonin and maybe other chemicals). Wikipedia states that "Calcification of the pineal gland is typical in adults, and has been observed in children as young as 2. Calcification rates vary widely by country and tend to increase by age, with calcification occurring in an estimated 40% of Americans by their 17th year.[4]" Some meditation leaders claim that it is possible to re-activate this gland through structured meditations over the span of months.

So why is this gland important? Well, I doubt that it is necessary, otherwise calcification would be a big medical problem - which is not the case. I do think that it's useful though. I have wondered for a while now what that feeling was during my meditations that seems to feel blissful. It typically starts with a tingling sensation at the top of my head followed by what feels like a strong but comforting flow type sensation throughout my body (like waves). Meditation experts seem to agree that this is a good thing. I agree because it is something I use to help control my mood. It is something that I feel helps me with getting very restful sleep. I also notice myself getting more anxiety and fatigue when I don't do this kind of meditation enough. Honestly, I would have a very difficult time maintaining a regular meditation schedule without this feeling. I've been doing this since January of this year on a regular basis, so it's not like I'm going crazy. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?
Diagnosis: Bipolar I
Meds: none
Ian Reynir
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mood and the pineal gland - your experiences?

Postby CrackedGirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 am

I am not for one minute suggesting that you are having a near death experience when you meditate but I know there was some research done on the role of the pineal gland in this and the blissful feelings that come with that sort of experience. I dont know much more about it than that but if it can be responsible for that sort of feeling I wonder if it also can affect feeling blissful at other times. Of course the research might not have been correct - I dont know enough about it. just a thought.

Cracked
"You're a tit short of an udder" - Owen Newitt

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Anyone » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:17 am

CrackedGirl wrote:I am not for one minute suggesting that you are having a near death experience when you meditate but I know there was some research done on the role of the pineal gland in this and the blissful feelings that come with that sort of experience. I dont know much more about it than that but if it can be responsible for that sort of feeling I wonder if it also can affect feeling blissful at other times. Of course the research might not have been correct - I dont know enough about it. just a thought.

Cracked

On this note, I have (believed) to activate that pineal gland and ends in some kind of a manic spiritual thing often. Lots of light and that pineal gland mediation stuff has led me into these states of like talking to people from the other side and also just feeling this all-universe connection. It also leads to like, funny images and visions and stories in general that I watch with my eyes closed. I have wondered if I'm a little dead because of it in a way sometimes. You hear about all these experiences of people dying and coming back to life and some of it is similar. (I don't really think I'm dead, it's just a funny thought sometimes after all these experiences, "well, maybe I'm just a little bit brain dead"
Bipolar type II w/ psychosis
Rx:lamictal 125 mg
PRN xanax

exercise.
Anyone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby CrackedGirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:23 am

That is very interesting. I think that there is a lot that we dont know when it comes to the brain.

Cracked
"You're a tit short of an udder" - Owen Newitt

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

Liberal Backslider

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (177)

Return to Bipolar Disorder Forum

• Related articles