Our partner

AvPD and parenting

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: AvPD and parenting

Postby jamberrypie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Despite all of my issues, I feel like I've been a pretty good parent to my 2 kids. They are well-adjusted, happy, confident people with high self-esteem. They have friends and are not fearful of people. Sometimes I even actually envy them and their better situation in life than I had when I was a child.

The only area that I feel I'm lacking in is not being able to show them real good socialization skills that they can model after. I've explained to them that dad and I aren't really good with people, I've also explained the whole introversion and extroversion spectrum with them, and that dad and I are introverts, and they seem to get it.

I have a child who is an extrovert and he would like us to have more people over to our house, but that really isn't going to happen. I have tried to set up playdates for him over the years so that he hopefully feels that he has a stronger connection with his friends.
jamberrypie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: AvPD and parenting

Postby Greenhorn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 am

Unknown_1 wrote:It's awful to think that AvPD might stop me from being a good parent. Honestly, all I want in my life is to have a family, but as I get older I realise due to my fear of people getting close I'm unlikely to ever have that. To me the idea that I might never have that is quite horrific and a cause of a lot of suicidal thoughts. But if I got over the hurdle of people getting close and actually had a family, I think I would be a really good Mum, ok I would probably raise a quite neurotic child like my mother did, but at least I'd be really sensitive to how they are feeling, and be able to teach them how to be kind and caring. I think I'd be a good Mum if I ever got the chance. I think AvPD doesn't stop you from being a good parent because we actually have a lot to offer a child.

I am sorry you feel that way. I think you would make a wonderful parent with those traits. The best I know are neurotic--sometimes its a gift. It is an awful thing for one to feel like they live on the fringe of society; but it hasn't stopped others.

jamberrypie wrote:Despite all of my issues, I feel like I've been a pretty good parent to my 2 kids. They are well-adjusted, happy, confident people with high self-esteem. They have friends and are not fearful of people. Sometimes I even actually envy them and their better situation in life than I had when I was a child.

The only area that I feel I'm lacking in is not being able to show them real good socialization skills that they can model after. I've explained to them that dad and I aren't really good with people, I've also explained the whole introversion and extroversion spectrum with them, and that dad and I are introverts, and they seem to get it.

I have a child who is an extrovert and he would like us to have more people over to our house, but that really isn't going to happen. I have tried to set up playdates for him over the years so that he hopefully feels that he has a stronger connection with his friends.

My child exhibited anxiety around others--after being carefree. I've been told that is just a phase they go through; taking longer to warm up. I hope it is true. I feel bad about it. You seem like a wonderful parent being able to explain everything to them and wanting the best for them :D
Greenhorn
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post