Our partner

Do you talk to yourself?

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Do you talk to yourself?

Postby Cirvante » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 pm

panzerfaust wrote:People will turn to look at something out of curiosity, but will tend to (not always) look away if the item in question is uncomfortable to look at (socials anyway). If I exhibit that kind of behavior, their gaze won't last. But you have a point about avoiding their gaze to begin with if you're viewed as just talking/singing with a headset on. The problem is the headset then becoming a necessary appendage.

If I were to see someone talking to himself within an earshot, then depending on whether or not it seems interesting I might even curiously listen for a while. Or I would tell him to shut up, due to his babbling interrupting my daydreaming, which is more likely I suppose.
"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. (...) Anyone who (...) does not partake of society is either a beast or a god."
— Aristotle, Politics
Cirvante
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Junkis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 am

All the time. I have to be VERY careful about it because it happens most often when I'm at work, and I work at an early childhood center (pre-school and kindergarten) as a custodian. The kids are only there for the first hour and half of my shift though so its not too big of a deal.

I still have to be careful though, because I will often think everyone has left the building and start talking to myself and be surprised to see a teacher walking down the hallway or something. I hope none of them have heard me cursing, but its almost certainly happened.

Its usually venting about things I'm angry about: teachers letting kids completely trash their rooms, dumping milk into the trash, kids defecating in urinals or wiping it on the walls. . . you know, fun stuff like that. I also just spout out my thoughts out loud sometimes. Another common thing is for me to pretend that people are listening to me. When I'm alone I feel free to talk to anyone I want without having to worry about any embarrassment. They always react positively in my imagination!

I whistle/sing out loud at work a lot too, also when I think nobody is around, and I've been caught doing that, which was, of course, a horrific embarrassment.
Junkis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Postby clydedenver » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm guilty of this. It's been happening more frequently lately. I try to do it only when alone. I've never been confronted about it but I'm sure others have taken notice. Mostly it's triggered by a sudden burst of emotion.

I sing to myself, too. Sometimes even out in public, but I keep it low. I finally came up with a possible explanation. Even if I'm in a neighborhood I know well, it helps to have a song in my head or be singing it. The song is associated with what I know and I feel more at home as a result. This helps with the nerves being out in public might cause. The street I know so well doesn't have the same calming effect because there are too many external factors ie people. I didn't always have to "have a song" with me, only since (what I now know as) the AvPD has gotten worse. A coping mechanism originating in the subconscious made conscious.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance. ~Hanlon's Razor abbr.

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. ~Gustav Mahler

Short summary of my life: http://www.psychforums.com/avoidant-personality/topic56407.html
clydedenver
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Postby Lycoris » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Sometimes. It really helps me think, so I find it useful. I'm actually not too worried about people overhearing me, since my voice is very soft and quiet. People have issues hearing what I say when I speak directly to them, so I'm pretty certain they wouldn't take much notice of what I'm saying. I make sure not to do it when I'm out in public, anyway.

...Um... If anything, I prefer talking to my dog. They're full-fledged conversations though, so uh, that's what I find to be a bit more problematic. I don't think it's unusual to see a person speaking to their pet, but... I'd still be mortified if someone overheard me asking my dog how she felt about the latest Dexter episode. 'cause they'd think I was being totally sane, right? :roll:
Lycoris
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Postby Junkis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

I don't think talking to animals is all that unusual, even in depth conversations like you describe. One of my friends' mothers talks to their dogs like they were actually her kids or something.

I talk to my guinea pigs all the time. Guinea pigs aren't even really smart enough to recognize their own names, much less understand what all the stuff I'm saying to them means. That doesn't stop me.
Junkis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Postby Lycoris » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:10 am

Aww, guinea pigs are so cute!
Ha, sorry... I really like them. Do you have any other pets, Junkis?

Anyway - yeah, I like reminding myself that I'm not the only one who does that. But I still try to keep it to a minimum when I'm around others. When I am, sticking to phrases like, "ARGH, get off of meee!" is more within my comfort zone. x')
Lycoris
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Postby CSRevenant » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:11 am

Cirvante wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:It starts out in my head. Then it spills out. Especially if the associated imagery is intense. i thought about the headset... that's all I need at this stage in life, a pseudo-transitional object attached to my head. Nah, I'd rather be seen talking to myself, and it keeps strangers at a distance, so I've got that going for me.

Haha, this is probably a good example for one of the differences between schizoids and avoidants.

The schizoid would wear a headset in order to avoid giving other people a reason to approach and question him. The avoidant wouldn't wear one in order to make himself look crazy and undesirable, so that people would avoid him. Or maybe that just goes for us.

I would think it would be the opposite. I know I would either stop talking to myself, or pull out my phone, etc, so people dont ask whats wrong with me. I would act normal as to avoid an awkward conversation. I dont know much about shizoid, but from what I have read they dont give a crap about others, so they would talk to themselves and to hell with everyone else.

I dont really know though.

Anyways, I kind of mumble to myself, especially when Im doing my work. Ill write some code, and say "no, no, no, that wont work". But I try to avoid actual conversations.
Don’t tell me I cannot go
With a wound that refuses to mend
Deliver me from all of this
I want you to quicken my end

Don’t say it isn’t so
I’m on a path that you’ll never comprehend
Set me free from all of this
I need you to quicken my end

Criminal - Disturbed
CSRevenant
Consumer 6
Consumer 6