Our partner

SSRI + AvPD = ?

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Evol222

SSRI + AvPD = ?

Postby MaxVonSydow » Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Are there any documentation out there that shows positive effect on anxiety levels with the ssri family?
Been on zoloft now for 10+ weeks with no effect what so ever.
Have any of you had good results?

Wish i had a pill that could make me feel the way i do when i drink wine.
The mind cleares and the anxiety lessens.
MaxVonSydow
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: SSRI + AvPD = ?

Postby ShadowTerra » Thu May 27, 2010 9:58 pm

SSRIs are supposed to help with anxiety. For example, they are often prescribed for people with OCD.

I have tried Zoloft twice--once for almost two years, another time for a couple of months. Currently, I am two weeks into trying Prozac. I'm struggling to stay on it until I next see my doctor because it is causing mood swings and actually making my anxiety worse, particularly my social anxiety. And I suspect I might be secretly bipolar II, so there's that. I'm probably not supposed to be on SSRIs alone due to that, but I have to wait until my therapist and/or shrink see clear evidence of hypomania before they'll take me seriously on that.

I can't remember if Zoloft made my anxiety worse like Prozac does, but it did make me intensely angry at times and more likely to speak my mind in a negative way. It was like my mental filter was gone.

After 10 weeks, something should be different. You shouldn't be feeling like I did, but things should be improving. I think you mentioned in another thread the dose you're on, and if I remember correctly, at that dosage you should certainly be experiencing some lessening of symptoms by now. Has your depression lifted at all? If not, it sounds like it's time to talk to your doctor about trying another antidepressant.
You may say I'm a fool
Feelin' the way that I do
You can call me Pollyanna
Say I'm crazy as a loon
I believe in silver linings
And that's why I believe in you
ShadowTerra
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 am

Postby Parador » Thu May 27, 2010 11:44 pm

They claim that SSRIs have a positive effect on people with anxiety or depression. But a recent study showed it seemed to be mainly a placebo effect. (found it - here it is : http://www.spring.org.uk/2008/02/new-st ... s-dont.php)I think it's just the big drug companies way of making more money by saying how good that stuff is. I tried paxil for a month. It didn't seem to help at all and the side effects were terrible. The withdrawal was terrible too. The stuff is addictive.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BrokenButFixable » Fri May 28, 2010 8:33 am

I was on Prozac for about 4-5 months. It certainly didn't fix my problems, long term, therefore it has the potential to become something you may be dependent on, IMHO.

I would have guessed that pure avpd won't respond that well to SSRIs because avpd is down to faulty thinking rather than poor brain chemistry - or so they say. I *think* that SSRIs only help when the avpd is accompanied by depression, so that you can work on the avpd without being depressed.

Obviously, I'm not a clinician, so it's all very much IMHO. :)
--
Loin de moi, si loin de moi.
BrokenButFixable
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby asphyx » Sat May 29, 2010 6:32 am

SSRI's are absolute rubbish for anxiety.
asphyx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post