Our partner

New SELF-HELP TREATMENT is Available

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Evol222

New SELF-HELP TREATMENT is Available

Postby Thessalonia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:30 pm

This is copied from "Ever feel". It starts off depressing, but keep reading:

Sometimes I feel the same way too. Just last week I was pretty much resigned to my fate of eventually dying miserable and alone. That week I had a phone call with my mom and she could tell I was feeling really really down (I didn't mention I was feeling suicidal)) and she tried to encourage me.

The whole time I was thinking, "I've tried all I can! I've read what at least 30 self help books. I've been to psychologists and they didn't know how to help me. And I've just read on a couple of reputable websites that Avoidant Personality Disorder is mostly "fixed" (unchanging) and "not curable" (I've since seen websites that say this is the 'old view'. That psychiatrists have recently found that AvPD is treatable with the right interventions.) "What's the point?" I kept thinking, "This isn't a life! I don't wanna live like this! But i can't hurt my mom--I'll just wait till after she passes away after a good long life and then when I'm 70 or 80 I can finally blow my f***ing brains out and get it over with. It'll be a long miserable wait, but at least my mom will be happy, right?" Towards the end of the call mom told me to keep looking for things that would help. Don't give up.

After we finished talking I got on the internet and started looking for anything that might be useful--all the while just knowing I wasn't going to find anything. Until...I found a book--not just a few pages, nut a chapter, but an entire book on Avoidant Personality Disorder. The description said it will actually show you, step by step, how to treat your AVPD--not just social anxiety disorder like every other book I've found. I don't know if its some big ultimate cure but at least its something! Even if the techniques only improve symptoms by 50%, at least that's better than the hell we live in now! It just came out last week. Its called The Essential Guide to Overcoming Avoidant Personality Disorder by Martin Kantor, MD. (I ordered it on Amazon.com (its $44.00 :shock: US!) [EDITED March 13, 2010: PLEASE READ MY BOOK REVIEW BEFORE GOING TO THIS SITE! (Its 7 OR 8 posts after this one)] http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Overcoming-Avoidant-Personality-Disorder/dp/0313377529/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268069494&sr=8-1 [Edited March 9, 2010: When you get on the site remember to scroll down the product page to read a full summary of the book. (it takes a while, its a pretty long page)]

So now, I'm no longer resigned to my fate, now I have hope. Now, we can't give up. Even if this book isn't everything we hope for, we can't. There are researchers working on this everyday looking for new techniques that could help. And we have people who love us who want to see us succeed, not just barely getting by waiting for the end. So, we can't give up!

Thessalonia.

P.S. A book that helped me years ago when I was feeling depressed and hopeless was Feeling Good the New Mood Therapy. I wouldn't be here if wasn't for that book. It showed me that things aren't always as dark as they seem. (I should've been reading it last week, huh? :wink: .) It really helped alot. Try it, it might help you too. Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Thessalonia on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: New SELF-HELP TREATMENT is Available

Postby Julian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:49 pm

You're not in this publisher's marketing department, are you? It seems pretty suspect to go around lauding this book based solely on the title, without so much as even reading it.
Julian
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Postby m1norityofone984 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't like to judge books by their cover, especially when there's a $44.00 price sticker slapped on there. If I did, I'd be wild with manic euphoria every time I walked by that shelf that The Secret and like books/videos are on.

Just sayin... :wink:
m1norityofone984
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Postby Thessalonia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:20 pm

No, I'm not in the publishers marketing department. And its not just the title or the cover, its the description of it on the site. (On the site, you have to scroll down a ways to read the complete description. It gives a 3 paragraph sumary of the book.) It claims to have a step-by-step self-help guide for AvPD. You're right, I haven't read it yet. I haven't claimed to have in the other post either. (I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.) But, I've been so discouraged trying to find help for AvPD. I didn't think I'd ever find anything to help this. So as soon as I found out about this book I thought it was important enough to write a post about it. I've been looking for sooo long. Just finding this book helped me to believe that maybe one day I can get better, you know? God, I''m just so lonely and miserable and this was like a glimmer of hope. I don't know if this is the book that will help give me a life that's fully lived with someone who loves me and family of my own. But just to know that something is out there, when there are so few resources for AvPD--it gives me hope.

In the thread "Ever Feel", everybody was so depressed and hopeless people wanted to end their lives, just like me. So desperate to get better--just like I've been trying to do since elementary school when I first knew I was different. I didn't want other people to feel as miserable as I did if there's a chance we could get better.

I don't know if this book will work like it says in the description. I mentioned this in the post in "Ever feel." But there's a chance. God knows I want it to, because I sure do need it.
Last edited by Thessalonia on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Thessalonia » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 pm

You're right. It's priced high as hell for a book. I was shocked. But I'm too desperate to care. :wink:
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Thessalonia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:51 am

I couldn't get on the site a little while ago. Geez! I thought I'd been banned for life because they thought i was a spammer for writing that post! I hate to admit this, but I had a panic attack and started sobbing. From what I've read here, it feels like you guys are the only ones in the world who know what its like to live with this thing. The thought that I'd never get the chance to talk to people who really understand was a little too much for me. I'm so glad this forum is here. You guys are great :wink:. I hope that one day we can all heal and lead the lives we were meant to lead.
Last edited by Thessalonia on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby m1norityofone984 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 am

Thessalonia wrote:I couldn't get on the site a little while ago. Geez! I thought I'd been banned for life because they thought i was a spammer for writing that post! I hate to admit this, but I had a panic attack and started sobbing. From what I've read here, it feels like you guys are the only ones in the world who know what its like to live with this thing. The thought that I'd never get the chance to talk to people who really understand was a little too much for me handle. I'm so glad this forum is here. You guys are great :wink:. I hope that one day we can all heal and lead the lives we were meant to lead.

Don't worry about that. PsychForums does that from time to time. It makes it a huge pain to try to make large posts.

I hope that we can all overcome this as well, though it might take all that we have and then some, coupled with a lot of time. If this book does help you, please let us know. It would be great to hear that someone has had success, even if it's temporal like a rare and delicious flavor.
m1norityofone984
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Postby Thessalonia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks, m1norityofone894. If this works on me or if it doesn't, you guys will be the first to know :D. But I hope my experiences don't become the litmus test for whether these techniques work or not. What might not work for some, may work really well for others. Everybody is different. I sure hope it works, though! :wink:
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Thessalonia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 am

BOOK REVIEW:

The book was just delivered today. Although it does suggest some important methods of dealing with AvPD, I wish it went into more detail. The self-help portion of the book is a lot shorter than I would like. And although some good ideas are expressed, the author's extremely technical, impersonal writing style sometimes makes a lot of his ideas difficult to understand with just one reading. Overall, I wish the self help guide was more specific and broke down concepts and action plans into more bite-sized easily digestible pieces. I wouldn't say that this book was either great or bad enough to use as toilet paper in a dire emergency if you ran out--it's just mediocre, extremely technical and the self help section could have been a lot longer and much more specific.

I think I'm gonna keep mine and glean whatever useful information I can from it. However, if you've ordered this book and based on this review would rather return it you can go to http://www.amazon.com/gp/css/returns/homepage.html/ and you can get a full refund.

I'm sorry everybody, I was hoping this book would be great but its just so-so. I didn't mean to get everybody's hopes up for a ho-hum book with a short self help section. I feel terrible! Personally, if it were somehow possible to twist my foot around and turn it backward, I'd be kicking myself in the butt right now! But just because this book isn't everything we were looking for I don't want anybody to give up and I won't either. Just look at Nevergive_up's post about the treatment that's helping him. He's doing something called EFT. He says it looks strange, but from his post, it seems to be helping tremendously. Speaking just for myself, I'm gonna give it a try. And doctors have now found that AvPD is treatable, especially with psychiatric professionals who are experienced with treating AvPD. Your probably sick of me saying this but we can't give up. And again, I'm sorry.

Thessalonia
Thessalonia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby After The Fall » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Wow, that's stupidly expensive for a so-called self help book.

Good for you for buying it and giving us a review though, that's appreciated. Shame it isn't as good as you had hoped : (
Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder.
Medication: Olanzapine 10mg and Fluxeotine 20mg
After The Fall
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 pm

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum