Our partner

The ultimate avoidant personality job

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, RememberRonni

The ultimate avoidant personality job

Postby Steve234 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm guessing it would be as a delivery driver. The contact that you make with people would be short and superficial. You don't have to carry any sort of conversation; all they care about is getting their food. Of course many avoidants don't go out a lot, so they don't know their area too well, even after living there for many years!

The other job I could think of is stay at home business; only problem is that requires a bit of entrepreneur-like qualities, which AVPDs are not characterized as having.
Last edited by Steve234 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve234
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The ultimate avoidant personality job

Postby sunstone » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 pm

An Ice Trucker
Petrossa wrote:

Imagine you have a blueprint for a sewage system. The blueprint is ok, but unfortunately it's for another city....
sunstone
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 am

Postby IvoryBill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 am

Lighthouse keeper, dude!

Or...factory worker on a night shift.

Seems like the jobs best suited for those of us who'd prefer isolation and/or the comfort of a repetitious routine are not either obsolete, or outsourced to Third World countries. It sucks. I mean, seriously sucks.
"When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened,
But in my dreams, I slew the dragon.
And down this beaten path, up this cobbled lane,
Walking in my old footsteps once again."

--Colin Hay
IvoryBill
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Postby Beta-Man » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 pm

Monk..... Your expected not to talk and sexual relations are forbidden, sounds like the job for me!
Beta-Man
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Postby magentasky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 pm

IvoryBill wrote:Lighthouse keeper, dude!

haha, I dreamed of being a lighhouse keeper as a kid! :mrgreen:

I'm a temp at an office and I like it - no big responsibility, no real attachment to the people or company, I don't have to talk to customers etc, I just do some reports on the computer and help other admins with the work if they need it. Not a perfect avpd job because I still get stressed because of other people, but the job allows me to keep them at a distance I can feel comfortable with.
magentasky
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Parador » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:26 am

I'm wondering what I can do with my AvPD and this bad foot. They were looking for pizza delivery people a while back. I guess I could do that. It would be really hard not to eat up the deliveries though. I trained as a chemist. That would be good. But in labs you have to spend a lot of time on your feet. And that degree is pretty old. I'd have to start out as a $10 per hour lab tech at best.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thepain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:15 am

I have tried working at jobs where they isnt a lot of interaction, mostly overnight stocking, things like that. Just leaves me feeling too unfulfilled. The work is just to mind numbingly mundane and boring for me. Tried the armed services lol what was i thinking?

Funny someone mentioned being a trucker. Thought about trying to get a CDL in the past. Sounds like the perfect job for an advoidant but I would like to get better and i dont see that happening if i was a truck driver.

I dont know, just hard to feel hopeful when your options are very limited. Anyway at the rate im going ill probably still be in college by the time im 40. That should look great to a future employer!! :oops:
thepain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thepain » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:18 am

Beta-Man wrote:Monk..... Your expected not to talk and sexual relations are forbidden, sounds like the job for me!

Sadly i would be perfect for that :lol:
thepain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby m1norityofone984 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 am

Beta-Man wrote:Monk..... Your expected not to talk and sexual relations are forbidden, sounds like the job for me!

I've seriously thought about that before. I don't think I could do something like lighthouse keeper. I'd need to at least be near people under the delusion of one day being able to be normal and socialize, etc. If I was to do something truly solitary, I think I'd need to feel a purpose to quiet that desire to human interaction.
m1norityofone984
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Postby Parador » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:45 pm

m1norityofone984 wrote:
I've seriously thought about that before. I don't think I could do something like lighthouse keeper. I'd need to at least be near people under the delusion of one day being able to be normal and socialize, etc. If I was to do something truly solitary, I think I'd need to feel a purpose to quiet that desire to human interaction.

I'm finding human interaction to be pretty miserable. Think I would be alright without it now. Unfortunately there are no lighthouses near me.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post