Our partner

AvPD characters in TV and movies

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, RememberRonni

AvPD characters in TV and movies

Postby Parador » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 am

Thought I would start another thead about this. I just saw the movie "Up in the Air." George Clooney plays a guy who fires people for a living. He flies all around the contry going to companies that are downsizing. His main goal is to rack up 10 million miles. He has absoltely no desire to form any human connection with anyone. He thinks. Then he meets someone. When it doesn't work out he goes right back to his life up in te air. It sounds like avoidant behavior to me.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: AvPD characters in TV and movies

Postby Bright eyes » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 am

I don't think an avoidant would deal too well with the airline check in, let alone firing people they had never met before.

If George Clooney played a man who sat at home all day thinking about his make belief job where he flies 10 million miles around the globe and fires people form there jobs at hundreds of different companies world wide, that would be a film about an avoidant.
Bright eyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Postby Steve234 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:06 pm

No desire to form any human connection, sounds more schizoid. The fundamental difference between schizoid and avoidant personality disorders is whether or not the person desires human relationships, right?
Steve234
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Parador » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 am

I was thinking schizoid until he tried to hook up with that woman. His excessive travelling reminded me of what I was doing when I had a job. I worked and travelled to concerts, racking up 130,000 miles on my car in two years. I was able to get used to travelling problems. It took some time to get used to making my way around Boston. Montreal, Ottawa, and Hartford - got to be careful in that one. I could probably get used to the airline check in. The part about firing people is a tough one. I don't know what kind of person would want a job like that. But I got used to working in a psych hospital with people who had done things like killing or raping their mothers.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby twistermind » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:00 am

I haven´t watched the movie "Up in the air", but I read in another thread about the movie "Punch Drunk Love" and it seems that the characters role by Adam Sandler have traits of avoidant personality. Once more he finds a girl. What´ s a movie without the corresponding romantic story? (And fnally they were happily ever after). Once more, I haven´t watched the movie.
In "The Glass Menagerie" there is a character (the daughter in the family) that seems to be an avoidant. Good movie!
Join Venus Project
"The entire money-structured and materialistic-oriented society is a false society. Our "society" will go down in history as the lowest development of Man. We have the brains, the know-how, the technology and the feasibility to build an entirely new civilization." (Jacque Fresco)
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Parador » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 am

Yes. Sandler's character in Funny People seemed avoidant about relationships too.

What about the Matt Damon character in Good Will Hunting? He was pretty avoidant about work too - he was smart but worked as a janitor.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thepain » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:01 pm

twistermind wrote: In "The Glass Menagerie" there is a character (the daughter in the family) that seems to be an avoidant. Good movie!

Just had to read this play again recently. Laura seemed like a text book example of an avoidant.
thepain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Steve234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:20 am

I mentioned this before, but i'll go ahead and mention it again. The department store manager in Bad Santa (played by John Ritter) seems like he has social anxiety disorder (maybe even avoidant personality disorder).

Here is the link to the movie again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhkhDXN_ ... L&index=66
Steve234
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Nevergive_up » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:53 am

Donnie Dorko has a caracter who is kind of ehm socially challenged :mrgreen:
Nevergive_up
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Gin_n_Tonic7 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:56 pm

My favorite tv detective - Adrian Monk. Also the title character in the French film, Amelie.
(hi fellow avoidants - I'm new here)
Gin_n_Tonic7
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:29 am

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post