Our partner

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: lilyfairy, RememberRonni

Postby Bloom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Last edited by Bloom on Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bloom
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:59 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: avoidant-borderline mixed personality

Postby ultimate_krang » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 pm

i dont think they could co exists, borderlines need to feed off other people, they are emotional vampires, they would go insane if they only had themselfes for company.
ultimate_krang
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hanna » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:35 pm

I think it's very possible. They both have extremely low self-esteem in common. I can see myself actually having a mix between the two. I have many traits of borderline, especially the fear of abandonment, but the avoidant inability to form and sustain meaningful relationships. It's a pretty #######5 combination because people are always abandoning me when I can't open up to them.
hanna
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ultimate_krang » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:47 pm

have you every known anyone who was a borderline? im skeptical the two could go together as i had a (poor excuse for a) relationship with someone who had it. its possible you just dont understand enough about it, it takes a long time to understand and even then it still makes little sense. i think a borderline needs some necessary social skills to manipulate people. avoidents dont have that!
ultimate_krang
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby venceremos » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:25 pm

I have been diagnosed with both, avoidantPD and borderlinePD at the same time.
venceremos
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Parador » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Borderlines can have aspects of many other personaility disorders. It is entirely possible to be a BPD and AVPD mix. Like Krang, I had a borderline gf once. I was attracted to her because I saw some avpd traits. (plus big boobs) The borderline traits turned out to be FAR stronger. And impossible to deal with.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby coldhands » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I use to think I had a avoidant-borderline mix but now i just think avoidant.
coldhands
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hanna » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 am

I didn't see manipulative specifically in the criteria, but I'm definitely manipulative of my girlfriend, I'm ashamed to say. She's also the one I let out all my insane anger on cause she's closest to me. :( Anyways I don't really avoid people, they avoid me, or at least that's how I perceive things.
hanna
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby chorse » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:02 am

When it comes to mental health issues, generalizations and labels can be dangerous territory to tread...People with mental or personality disorders will often manifest symptoms in very individual ways, aside from the most common and classic symptoms being displayed by the individual disorder. All mental health issues are a complex combination of genetics/physical makeup, and environmental factors. No two people will ever have the exact same combination of these factors. So, to say that a borderline can't be avoidant is ludicrous. But, a person may display characteristics of any diagnosis to varying degrees. Many mental health disorders that contradict each other in symptomology, can, and do exist together, and I'm living proof of that. I can tell you, that this fact can make things fairly complicated at times....

Professionals use general behavioral guidelines when making a diagnosis, but it's not at all uncommon for several diagnosis' to coexist with each other, one possibly even being a contributing factor to the developement of another. Psychiatrists will usually treat muliple coexistence of disorders by dealing primarily with the one that causes the most suffering and dysfunction in the individual's daily life. My complications occured when the treatment for one, exacerbated the symptoms of another....This is often the motivation behind "prescriptive cocktails" being administered...It's the Pdoc's attempt at treating multiple symptomolgy.

Hope this helped.
Sun, sun, sun - high's in the 80's all week.
chorse
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby venceremos » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 pm

Asuka wrote:A diagnosis of AvPD with BPD is not uncommon at from what I read. I have a friend online and she has both and their was a guy who posted here last year and he had both also.

If you look at the 5th post in _this_ thread you will see another guy who has been diagnosed with both PDs.
he said sth like :
venceremos wrote:I have been diagnosed with both, avoidantPD and borderlinePD at the same time.

I feel ignored :|
venceremos
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum