Our partner

Jobs with little interaction?

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Jobs with little interaction?

Postby twistermind » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:44 am

My advise is lie, lie and lie!
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Bright eyes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:13 am

Interviews are always difficult for anyone.
I wouldn't lie in an interview as you're likely to come unstuck if they press for more details.
Just as long as you have a clear idea of why you want the job (working on your own may be something you might want to lie about), and have a few questions you can ask them you'll be fine.

I work as a lab tech. which I chose as I don't have to deal with anyone except the three other people I work with.
Usually I get left to my own devices, and I spend most of my time working alone.
Bright eyes
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 am

Postby WafflesAreGood » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:21 am

ultimate_krang wrote:computer games tester!

This is true, most communication is done through emails and instant messages.

I imagine any sort of scripting, programming or other software related job will be less social than the avg job.
WafflesAreGood
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

Postby Kourin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:46 pm

WafflesAreGood wrote:

I imagine any sort of scripting, programming or other software related job will be less social than the avg job.

I used to be an IT major... there was a huge emphasis on being social. I guess it really depends on the employer, but for most sizable projects you're going to be working with a team, if not having to interact directly with a customer. I know some people work as freelance programmers without ever leaving their homes, but I'd imagine you need a reasonably good portfolio to land anything in the first place.

Software testing of any kind requires next to no interaction but is so mind-numbingly boring that you'll wish to be anywhere else. I've heard some companies go so far as to just replace people after six months of employment because they know it's too dull for anybody to do for an extended period of time.
Kourin
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby twistermind » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:45 am

I was only advising to lie in the phychotest and in these areas where you were asked about social abilities. I say this with foundation!
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby WafflesAreGood » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:44 am

Kourin wrote:
WafflesAreGood wrote:

I used to be an IT major... there was a huge emphasis on being social. I guess it really depends on the employer, but for most sizable projects you're going to be working with a team, if not having to interact directly with a customer. I know some people work as freelance programmers without ever leaving their homes, but I'd imagine you need a reasonably good portfolio to land anything in the first place.

Software testing of any kind requires next to no interaction but is so mind-numbingly boring that you'll wish to be anywhere else. I've heard some companies go so far as to just replace people after six months of employment because they know it's too dull for anybody to do for an extended period of time.

Ah, so maybe im wrong about other areas, but as a game tester I can say from experience your not 'required' to be very social at all. I am a bit lucky and happen to work for one of the best companies in the industry, so its not quite as mind-boggling boring or underrated a position as it would be at most other companies.
WafflesAreGood
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

Postby moonwake » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:56 am

Psych tests are easy to bypass..it's interviews that are hard...

Personally, I can't answer the "Tell me about yourself." part... :( which is not much compared to my problem of speaking properly...
love yourself because there is only one thing that is surely yours - you
moonwake
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby twistermind » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:35 am

I agree, phych test are easy to bypass....if you lie. I used to be too sincere and I naturally failed. :?
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post