Our partner

Afraid to go out in public

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Afraid to go out in public

Postby lost& » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 am

I'm afraid to go to work, I'm afraid to go out in public and I'm afraid to talk to people, really afraid. I think I've heard that they suggest that if you have AvPD your suppose to face the things you fear but from what I understand it doesn't make you more social, so what does it do?
lost&
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby lost& » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:36 am

Do you feel more sociable because of it or just less afraid?
lost&
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Parador » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 am

It will make you less afraid eventually. If it doesn't you will have to try medication. Once you lose yoir fear you can work on being sociable. I think that's a little harder though. I still find myself mainly limited to talking about opera and zombies, so conversations don't usually last too long. I can talk about work, but since I work in a psych hospital with people who have raped their mothers and stuff that's not great to talk about either.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lost& » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 am

how and what made you do it?
lost&
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby karl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 am

I've gotten rid of most of my fear through exposure therapy. Now I take walks regularly: I go around, take pictures of interesting stuff, enjoy myself. It didn't make me more sociable, partly because even without the fear I still sense negativity keenly and there's just way too much useless negativity coming from almost everybody I meet. So while I do speak to people when necessary, I don't really want any new friends or a lover because it just seems so pointless. I guess it would be going to extremes to say the whole social thing is a stupid game, but in a sense it is a game and I just don't want to play unless I'm getting something I want out of it.
karl
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby twistermind » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Social exposure therapy are helping me a lot. I have also different mental and written exercises to test my irrational thoughts.

In both, I have to begun by less- anxiety social situations. For example, I begun by greeting dogs in the street. then, I continued by making a few questions o their owners and so on.

But, before this I have to go on a painful process. I had to forgive my parents. Now, I don´t worry about the past, but future.
Good luck, my friend! :D
Having avoidance made a gladiator of me.
" Controlling Avoidance comes with understanding Avoidance. Treat the avoidance as a separated identity; that is, avíes decissions and your decissions" (by Dwight)
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Afraid to go out in public

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:06 pm

lost& wrote:I'm afraid to go to work, I'm afraid to go out in public and I'm afraid to talk to people, really afraid. I think I've heard that they suggest that if you have AvPD your suppose to face the things you fear but from what I understand it doesn't make you more social, so what does it do?

That may not be AVP my friend but agoraphobia.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:59 am

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post