Our partner

Your religious background.

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: EarlGreyDregs, RememberRonni, lilyfairy, Evol222

What is your religious background?

Catholic
32%
Anglican
No votes
Evangelical
9%
Prysbyterian
5%
Lutheran
9%
Jehovah Witness
No votes
Jewish
No votes
Buddhist
No votes
Islam
No votes
Secularist/Atheistic/Agnostic
45%

Total votes : 22

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I was baptized catholic, but I don't practice any religion.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Hatake » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:45 pm

Woops, i accidentally did Lutheran but i meant to choose evangelical. :oops: Can a mod change the poll at all?
My mom is Methodist which is a form of evangelical and dad is catholic but i usually go to the Methodist (evangelical) church.
Remove the warning labels; evolution should take care of the rest.

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. ~Albert Camus
Hatake
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Postby Parador » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 am

I think I went to a protestant church once when I was a kid. My father wasn't religious. My mother worshiped vodka. Is there a Church of Vodka?
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Postby CriminallyVulgar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:06 am

I went to church when I was a little kid but my family was never very religious. I don't even know what branch of christianity I was a part of. I stopped going when I was like 10 and my brain developed to the point where I was capeable of logical thought.
Soy un perdedor
CriminallyVulgar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby YarlSoutan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:03 am

Southern Baptist. No religion now.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."
YarlSoutan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby GSYBE » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:33 am

Agnostic atheist.

Based on the poll above (with 50% in the secularist/atheist/agnostic category), I wonder how much more that puts avoidants at odds with a general population that's mostly religious, at least in America. Human interaction is hard enough - trying to converse with those who actively believe in a "higher power," whether it's family, friends, or strangers, only makes life that much more complicated for an avoidant.

Only recently I've come out as an atheist to my parents (who are dyed in the wool Lutherans), and while they are a tolerant and accepting lot, it has only served to strain our relationship. I can only imagine how it would affect a potential friendship or romantic relationship, just to compound the other problems of AvPD.

If the other person is religious (particularly Christian), they may be able to accept your unbelief, but there's always that nagging problem that the two of you won't be in the same place in the afterlife. It automatically creates a divide, and opens up a new possibility of interpersonal judgment that I'd rather not deal with ("Atheist?! They must not have moral values, or believe in hope, or be happy, etc etc."). No amount of rational argument after disclosure of one's (dis)beliefs will do much to bring back the relationship as it existed previously, or so I've found.

There are more tolerant religious individuals who may not be so quick to judge (or do their best to refrain from judging), but their religion still condemns me in principle. When they believe in something that does that, I have to question them. Once again, another needless complication that humanity has not managed to outgrow from its infancy.
GSYBE
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby twistermind » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:51 am

My education was Chatolic, but my family didn´t practice it.
I don´t know what the hell I am. Agnostic. I´d like to believe in any god but I can´t.
I have to confess that I sometimes pray to my grandparents´s for help with my problem.
:?
"mate, i dont want to know the description and every last detaill of this illness. i want the fuc king cure!" (Ultimate Krang)
twistermind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CriminallyVulgar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 am

There is no option for the far out religions. When I was a teenager I was briefly followed Thelema. I even had a wand and a cerimonial dagger and a spell book. I was like a ######6 wizard!

I suppose this is part of my religious background. But I guess this thread is more about how you were raised and your family religion. I voted presblahterian? I think that might have been the one my family was. My church wasn't catholic and it wasn't one of the crazy extreme ones. That kind of sounds like the pres one right? I don't know the difference between the sects...

Anyways now a days I'm athiest. I don't believe in much of anything. Except aliens.

GSYBE, I've never really had a problem with being aquainted with religious people. Do you live in an area that is predominatly very devout to one religion or the other? Most religious people are good people, and they don't judge non-believers harshly enough to let it influence their interactions with the individual. Like you said, the more tolerant ones try not to judge you, even though their religion condems you in principle. If you talk to them about it most will say something along the lines of you can't really take everything their religion(or any) says literally, and that they personally like to think jesus loves everyone even nonbelievers and sinners and such. They like to twist what their religion says their beliefs should be to fit more in line with their own moral compass.

I could see how it would be a problem with family though. If they really love you, and really have faith then it's actually pretty touching that they are concerned about your immortal soul. It would logically be pretty disheartening for most parents if they truely believed that their son/daughter's beliefs will lead them to an eternity in the lake of fire.
Soy un perdedor
CriminallyVulgar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emotionaltyphoon » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Most religious people are good people, and they don't judge non-believers harshly enough to let it influence their interactions with the individual

That's true. Well a mostly, anyway. I once met two people who I got along with pretty well and they turned out to be full on christians and were actually studying Theology. But they were pretty nice and so my stereotype of the religious person dissolved. I remember them saying that they often go $#%^ for stating which religion they were. Things like "oh you've been brainwashed into believeing so and so; you're like functional zombies".

I was brought up in a protestant (whatever that means anyway), and became agnostic in my mid-teens. I tell people I'm atheist if they ask though. It's waay simpler to explain.
emotionaltyphoon
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Parador » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:28 pm

I really don't think I would ever say I'm an actual atheist. Scientists are always finding out strange things about the universe. Recently they just discovered 'dark energy' that is somehow making the universe expand faster and faster. A decade ago that would have seemed like a wacked idea. A decade before that quarks were a wacko idea. I don't see how we can ever know everything. So maybe there is a God. And maybe we're just a bunch of ants to him. Perhaps he messes with us once in a while just for the amusment of watching us scurry around.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post