Our partner

Hello Everyone!

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Hello Everyone!

Postby spacer1211 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:46 am

Ok so hi. I've never tried this b4 but i figure what can it hurt. I am new here (obviously) and I Have not been professionally diagnosed with AvPD. Nor have I been diagnosed with any mental illnesses... because Ive never spoken to a psychiatrist or had my self tested... Be that as it may, about 2 years ago i was trying to find help for whatever was wrong with me online and came across avpd. I studied all of the information i could find and am 95% sure it is my main problem. I also have mild depression and a serious displaying emotion issue that may or may not be connected to the avpd. I am 30 years old, single male, if that helps.

First of all I would like to ask the general public(you) your opinion on this.
if i can find the help i need on here i will be very glad and appreciative.

-thks crim
spacer1211
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby NoM8s » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 am

Can I ask you why you think that you have AvPD? It's not for me to diagnose you but what are your problems? Mild depression could be a symptom but do you have a pathalogical fear of rejection and are you hypersensitive to personal criticism? Do you spend a lot of time daydreming and obsessing over social interactions and whether people liked you or not? These are all symptoms that I would recognise, amung others and I could relate to them but you are just saying that you're pretty sure that you've got this and what do we think about that?

Do you have a specific question that you think that we could help with?.
NoM8s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 am

Postby lindi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 pm

*mod edit*
Last edited by lilyfairy on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No diagnosing others please
Dx: schizoid PD, ADD (inattentive), GAD
lindi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby inverse » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:58 pm

Woah! This thread seems out of control already.

I am diagnosed, and my gut says no, the OP is not AvPD. The reason is, look at the initial post. Super exuberant. Not timid at all. 99% of first posts by avoidants are responses to other posts, and most say they've been lurking and writing and deleting for weeks or longer, and almost all of them apologize for something about their writing. Classic hallmarks of low self-esteem and feelings of having no self-worth. This post is confident and friendly. It's either a case of the best "fake it til you make it" that I've ever seen, or there's no AvPD.
inverse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NoM8s » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Can I ask what makes you assume I'm an adolescent? I'm in my forties, for your information and yes, I have refered to myself as being a bit psychotic because I have behavioural problems that are attributable to my having AvPD. I said that in the ASPD forum where I was debating distinctions between psycopathy and other psychotic disorders and I was being contraversial in a way that I wouldn't like to be here because people with AvPD are hypersensitive, like I said and you are rather cocky, which could be a front I suppose but if you want to flame me don't do it here please because it's against the rules.
NoM8s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lindi » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:31 pm

NoM8s wrote:Can I ask what makes you assume that'm an adolescent?

My bad, it was just a strong impression from comments such as "if you stop replying, I won!".
NoM8s wrote:I said that in the ASPD forum where I was debating distinctions between psycopathy and other psychotic disorders.

Rather, you were debating that there is no distinction. :lol:
But fine, I'll leave this thread.
Dx: schizoid PD, ADD (inattentive), GAD
lindi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NoM8s » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Lindy, I was being sarcastic because how else am I supposed to deal with someone that goes off in the huff constantly but also issues parting volleys to keep trying to keep the argument going? It's just a rather tiresome habit of yours that I have observed and now I'm commenting on it but I dare say that you get that a lot.
NoM8s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NoM8s » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Also Lindy, you are trolling me and if you continue to do that here moderators will get involved and they will ban your acount.
NoM8s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby spacer1211 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 am

inverse wrote:Woah! This thread seems out of control already.

I am diagnosed, and my gut says no, the OP is not AvPD. The reason is, look at the initial post. Super exuberant. Not timid at all. 99% of first posts by avoidants are responses to other posts, and most say they've been lurking and writing and deleting for weeks or longer, and almost all of them apologize for something about their writing. Classic hallmarks of low self-esteem and feelings of having no self-worth. This post is confident and friendly. It's either a case of the best "fake it til you make it" that I've ever seen, or there's no AvPD.

the "super exuberant" nature of my initial post was my attempt at sounding... chipper i, guess?
anyway i was able to write that post, and this one, because I am stoned. When i am high i gain enough self confidence to do things like this.

"99% of first posts by avoidants are responses to other posts, and most say they've been lurking and writing and deleting for weeks or longer, and almost all of them apologize for something about their writing."

1. i don't respond to other peoples posts, because i dont initiate contact with people.
2. why would i say i've been lurking and writing for weeks when that would quite possibly a negative perspective on me in your mind.
3. I don't hand out apologies like candy for attention.

I came to this site to get a better understanding of my mental status, assuming i might be able to find someone who would understand my situation, not to poke fun at this condition, not to post insult against ANYONE. I simply wanted to find a feeling of social togetherness.

as to you not thinking i can have AvPd i would suggest you not judge a book by its cover, you know absolutely nothing about me.

- side note- I always have found it easier to socialize through typing than through verbal communication.

NoM8s wrote:Can I ask you why you think that you have AvPD? It's not for me to diagnose you but what are your problems? Mild depression could be a symptom but do you have a pathalogical fear of rejection and are you hypersensitive to personal criticism? Do you spend a lot of time daydreming and obsessing over social interactions and whether people liked you or not? These are all symptoms that I would recognise, amung others and I could relate to them but you are just saying that you're pretty sure that you've got this and what do we think about that?

Do you have a specific question that you think that we could help with?.

heres some of the background i was planning on discussing.

As I said, I'm 30 years old. family issues growing up, didn't make my first friend until i was 13, I was always picked on in school and was basically the chubby nerd who hangs by the other geeks. I have NEVER to this day asked a girl out. I have had one relationship, she initiated contact with me, and basically took me as her boyfriend. I was with her for 6 years for the simple fact that she was my first love and that she was the only girl to ever show interest in me. the 6 years we were together were filled with her cheating and me begging her to stay. we broke up 7.5 years ago and i have been single since. i did have a group of friends, outcasts like me but that changed and i moved into my current apartment 3 years ago. since moving into my own apartment i have stopped interacting with anyone, the only time i leave the house is to go shopping or to work, i avoid physical contact and eye contact despite my efforts not to.
i have had situations where i was physically unable to interact how i want.
example: fortunate circumstances had a beautiful 21 year old staying in my house with me. she was in a bad relationship and i had agreed to let her stay with me for a wile. one night she was coming on to me, i knew it. it was blatantly obvious but i still played it off like i wasn't wanting to. all the wile im screaming in my head to do something. so long story short, she stole $150 dollars from me on the night b4 thanksgiving and that ended that arrangement.

i think i mighta gone off track a little here, sry...
anyway im tired of writing responses now. good night.
spacer1211
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby NoM8s » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks for sharing.

I do think that it's possible that you do have AvPD and those could well be symptoms. I didn't find your opening post cocky and it was just like you were too embarrased to say that you've got a problem, or at least what it is that you feel ashamed about. You don't need to go into detail here about that if you don't want to. Nobody here is likely to judge you for it unless they think that you're just some random troll that shouldn't be here. People with AvPD can be a bit paranoid but some of us may not even like to admit that and we will feel embarrased about getting into confrontations.
NoM8s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum