Our partner

OCPD and AvPD

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

OCPD and AvPD

Postby HopelessRomantic » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:10 pm

I think that someone once wrote here that OCPD and AvPD are twin disorders and they are compatible. I would tend to disagree. I would think that people with these disorders don't get along that well. People with AvPD do not like being controlled, at least I hate it. I like to do things my own way without any interference. Except for excessive anxiety, there is not much in common between the two.
HopelessRomantic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: OCPD and AvPD

Postby FragranceOfLilac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 pm

They're both anxiety disorders, and I had quite a few OCD features. As a child I tended to obsess over never stepping on anything that looked like a crack. So for example, walking on the floor worried me, I needed to step only on whole pieces. I had words stuck in my head that I couldn't get rid of and did some annoying (to my own self) repetitive movements. Then later in adulthood I had an obsessive thought, very outlandish and bizarre, stuck in my head that I couldn't get rid of for two years and which kept scaring me shitless. I still have some obsessive tendencies manifest, they just aren't always present, so it's not a 'full-blown' disorder, merely temporary minor features.

The way I see it, every case isn't like the other, but there's no reason why these two disorders would be incompatible. Calling them 'sister-disorders' as if it's a universal law is probably going too far, but to illustrate some point it can be said so.
Mixed personality disorder (avoidant, depressive) and depression. Official DX.
FragranceOfLilac
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm

Postby naps » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 pm

I have traits of both and yes, I am always at odds with myself.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Postby jamberrypie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:34 pm

I have both, but I think the OCPD do a lesser degree. I absolutely cannot stand being controlled by others, and it triggers me greatly when I feel others trying to do it to me.

I also grew up with siblings who have severe OCPD. And, in a strange sense, they were controlling me because of their disorders. I had this one older brother who would get extremely angry with us younger siblings if we yawned in his presence. I'm talking about really angry. Of course, when we were little, we didn't understand why he was so odd like this, and it made me really upset because to me yawning was a normal human function. I was talking to a coworker about this recently because OCD and anxiety runs in her family of origins too. She said that there are some people with OCD that when they hear certain sounds like yawning and whistling, that it really triggers them. I was really surprised to hear this, and googled it. Apparently, it's called misophonia (sp?).

And, he was just one of my siblings with OCD issues!

This is why to this day, I find it supremely difficult to be around people with OCPD. I feel like I am walking on eggshells around them, and that they are indirectly controlling my ability to just be myself.

HopelessRomantic wrote:I think that someone once wrote here that OCPD and AvPD are twin disorders and they are compatible. I would tend to disagree. I would think that people with these disorders don't get along that well. People with AvPD do not like being controlled, at least I hate it. I like to do things my own way without any interference. Except for excessive anxiety, there is not much in common between the two.
jamberrypie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 am

Postby lilyfairy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 am

I don't think that they are "twin" disorders, or that they are compatible (not sure how two personality disorders can really be compatible- what are we calling compatible?), but the link is perhaps more about the two both being considered "anxious" personality disorders and (not sure- I'd have to go look it up) but perhaps the two are more frequently diagnosed together than AvPD and other personality disorders?
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:40 am

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post