Our partner

Living in a van/vehicle/mobile home

Avoidant Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: lilyfairy

Re: Living in a van/vehicle/mobile home

Postby Klrskies » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:47 am

You might look at some of the self-sufficient modes of liven on you tube...since the economic tumble of 2008, a lot of people have found themselves without a home and have gotten pretty resourceful. I saw one that didn't own property, so he converted a u-haul box truck into an rv, but kept the exterior looking like a plain old business type box truck. He was able to reside in urban areas without being noticed and bothered.
I did my little apartment because I was tired of taking care of so much property and wanted to slow my life down and re group. After a year and a half I came to realize I needed to change my location, but didn't want to give up my farm, so I just rented everything out I could and relocated 2000 miles away. I have family keeping an eye on my place and I use the money from rent to pay for my current living quarters which I rent.
The thing about the farm property is it's a quiet, peaceful place, it's got space for livestock and growing edibles, it's in an area that's economical to live in, but not many good jobs left for me.

The world is a tough place sometimes...good to be flexible. The best thing I believe to do is spend a lot of time thinking about what makes you feel content, then figure out a way you can make it happen. Things change in your life and it's easy to get stuck and depressed. Better to be driving your ship than feeling trapped without hope.
Klrskies
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:53 am

skyflyz wrote:I'm not even sure it's cheaper. I lived in a trailer once, rented it.. and that was cheaper than any apartment, especially since some of these parks include utilities with the rent. However, the park I was in I later found out was full of drug addicts.

I'm not surprised..Though there are drug addicts everywhere. Are these 'steal you stuff' drug addicts? We have a few of those around where I live. It's really a mix of decent houses then just down the street it's pretty bad. Actually the last small town i lived was like that too. *shrugs* nice houses then right down the road beat up trailers.

-- Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:54 am --

Klrskies wrote:You might look at some of the self-sufficient modes of liven on you tube...since the economic tumble of 2008, a lot of people have found themselves without a home and have gotten pretty resourceful. I saw one that didn't own property, so he converted a u-haul box truck into an rv, but kept the exterior looking like a plain old business type box truck. He was able to reside in urban areas without being noticed and bothered.
I did my little apartment because I was tired of taking care of so much property and wanted to slow my life down and re group. After a year and a half I came to realize I needed to change my location, but didn't want to give up my farm, so I just rented everything out I could and relocated 2000 miles away. I have family keeping an eye on my place and I use the money from rent to pay for my current living quarters which I rent.
The thing about the farm property is it's a quiet, peaceful place, it's got space for livestock and growing edibles, it's in an area that's economical to live in, but not many good jobs left for me.

The world is a tough place sometimes...good to be flexible. The best thing I believe to do is spend a lot of time thinking about what makes you feel content, then figure out a way you can make it happen. Things change in your life and it's easy to get stuck and depressed. Better to be driving your ship than feeling trapped without hope.

u-haul idea sounds pretty awesome. With my luck though i'd get caught instantly haha.
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

Postby Me v2 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Klrskies wrote:The best thing I believe to do is spend a lot of time thinking about what makes you feel content, then figure out a way you can make it happen.

Well that's just it though. Nothing makes me content.
I have more or less spent my whole life trying to find out what I want and so far, nothing. This root issue is the fundamental problem for me, as I see things, as all other things depend on it.

In the distant past when I was motivated to do certain things, I was able to direct myself accordingly and so I know that I can accomplish whatever it is I set out to do, if I want it that is.
So little today raises one iota of interest in me, so lame and uninteresting it all seems to be.
I wish I was easily pleased but I am not, to boot.
Formerly SSDD-247.
Mental illness/disorders do not exist. Suffering exists but there isn't any biological cause for this suffering.
It is only thoughts that cause suffering. Yes, its all in our minds but that is where all of life is experienced.
Change your thoughts, change your life...& be at peace, again
Me v2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:42 pm

SSDD-247 wrote:
Klrskies wrote:The best thing I believe to do is spend a lot of time thinking about what makes you feel content, then figure out a way you can make it happen.

Well that's just it though. Nothing makes me content.
I have more or less spent my whole life trying to find out what I want and so far, nothing. This root issue is the fundamental problem for me, as I see things, as all other things depend on it.

In the distant past when I was motivated to do certain things, I was able to direct myself accordingly and so I know that I can accomplish whatever it is I set out to do, if I want it that is.
So little today raises one iota of interest in me, so lame and uninteresting it all seems to be.
I wish I was easily pleased but I am not, to boot.

Well if you want nothing then staying where you are is the most convenient.

My guess is you do want something, you just don't quite recognize what it is or you wouldn't want to make the change in the first place. Perhaps you are restless and just want change?
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Me v2 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:07 pm

JPKAS wrote:Well if you want nothing then staying where you are is the most convenient.

That's not what I meant. It is that I can't find anything that makes me content.

JPKAS wrote:My guess is you do want something, you just don't quite recognize what it is or you wouldn't want to make the change in the first place. Perhaps you are restless and just want change?

This view is based on an assumption that "there's something for everyone", an assumption that has no basis to be formulated into a real and uttered expression.
Formerly SSDD-247.
Mental illness/disorders do not exist. Suffering exists but there isn't any biological cause for this suffering.
It is only thoughts that cause suffering. Yes, its all in our minds but that is where all of life is experienced.
Me v2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SpeckledUnicorn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:54 pm

SSDD-247 wrote:
JPKAS wrote:Well if you want nothing then staying where you are is the most convenient.

That's not what I meant. It is that I can't find anything that makes me content.

JPKAS wrote:My guess is you do want something, you just don't quite recognize what it is or you wouldn't want to make the change in the first place. Perhaps you are restless and just want change?

This view is based on an assumption that "there's something for everyone", an assumption that has no basis to be formulated into a real and uttered expression.

I didn't say that there was something for everyone. i think there are too many people in the world to apply that to everyone in it. 6 billion? Yeah someone is gonna end up with nothing.

Also, I just found it confusing if you really didn't want anything then why you were even thinking of moving at all. But I guess you meant not that you didn't want something in some aspect, just that nothing makes you feel satisfied. Honestly, though, even this change in your life won't do that- so what's the real point of it? Do you think it will do something at all?

I guess to spend less money and save it? Save it for what?

I dunno- just you seem to be living alright currently. Maybe one day it will all fall apart and you fear that for some reason? But i don't think living in a car or mobile home or anything like that is going to do much to alleviate that, sooo I don't know if there is much of a point unless it's something you legitimately want.

Basically it's a giant loop.

Of course I'm not saying I have much of it figured out either, so I'm not criticizing really, just posing the question of what's at the real root of this desire.
SpeckledUnicorn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Me v2 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 am

JPKAS wrote:Also, I just found it confusing if you really didn't want anything then why you were even thinking of moving at all. But I guess you meant not that you didn't want something in some aspect, just that nothing makes you feel satisfied.

Yes.

JPKAS wrote:Honestly, though, even this change in your life won't do that- so what's the real point of it? Do you think it will do something at all?

Perhaps it won't, but nobody knows.

JPKAS wrote:I guess to spend less money and save it? Save it for what?

Of course I'm not saying I have much of it figured out either, so I'm not criticizing really, just posing the question of what's at the real root of this desire.

I did lay out my reasons for wanting to make this change.
I want to save money for later in life (assuming I have a later) and for those things that I cannot foresee I will need. I don't have a pension or savings.
And really, I am not "enjoying" or using the home where I am living in a way that I might if my life was different. I think I can really do without the non-essential elements of the home.
Formerly SSDD-247.
Me v2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Avoidant Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post